1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think that you'd be homophobic if you weren't LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rob999, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mobiusponder

I think that my current [and, I'm kind of recognizing, past] gender confusion actually made me homophobic [and I still am, a little]. So. Maybe? No idea. I'd like to think not.

2. DarkClarity

^This.

My friends I use to hang around with in secondary school were Pro-LGBT and didn't really care about things like sexuality so I don't think I would of been homophobic. Also, I think my political views would be the same if I were straight so I imagine I would still support same-sex marriage.

3. Aya McCabre

I don't think I would. I think I would understand gender and sexuality less, but as a white, reasonably able-bodied cis-woman who is not racist, transphobic, biphobic or prone do discrimination on grounds of disability I would like to think that homophobia would be no different.

4. Emberstone

I grew up in a house of intellegent people... so no.

5. Level75

Yeah, that's the way it is with me when I think about it. It's practically a chicken and egg question. I always felt uncomfortable with making gay jokes because, deep down, I always knew I was gay. That kind of sympathy and "political correctness" about me has pretty much influenced how I relate to just about anything. I never used "gay" as an insult. I never say racial slurs. I never call things "retarded".

If you separate the experience I had with growing up gay from the rest of me, you fundamentally wouldn't have the same person. I'd wager you probably would have a much more cruel person.......I used to beat up my younger brother over losing at video games. :eusa_naug

6. SFSorrow

I was what I would now call homophobic publicly at school in a very immature way, in the sense that I might use it as an insult or to tease people (which I now regret), even though in my head I knew there was nothing wrong with it, then in college and university I wasn't at all and was absolutely pro-gay rights, but when I started questioning I began to have what would be called internalized homophobia I suppose, which I'm still trying to deal with and get over to some degree but which I'm getting much better with, almost to the point of wanting to be far more involved and know more about the gay scene.

So, I've moved around the map quite a lot.

7. Mad Man L

I don't know. Most likely not, although a few in my family are homophobic.

A series of events/discovery of my sexuality/questioning of my faith etc. led me to change my political views and faith quite significantly. Had those events not happened, I might be a different person.

8. Nodnarb

No. I have a couple of incredibly awesome parents who have always been totally ok with gay people and supportive of gay rights. They've always treated gay people the same as straight people, and I honestly didn't have a clue that there were people out there who think being gay is wrong until marriage equality became a huge political topic back in 2003/2004. I remember being completely shocked watching CNN with my mom and finding out that same-sex marriage wasn't allowed in the US. I had always assumed it was, I guess. 12 year old me couldn't figure out why people made it an issue (hell, 20 year old me can't either). One thing that has always stuck with me was how upset my parents were during the 04 presidential debates when neither of the candidates would support marriage equality. And at one point in high school, while I was still not at all ok with myself being gay, I remember arguing for same-sex marriage in some sort of debate thing we did in a class.

My group of friends were pretty open, accepting, non-homophobic people too. So I didn't really have any peer pressure to be/act homophobic. And being raised in a non-religious family kept me from ever having that as an excuse to be homophobic.

Oh, and my grandma on my mom's side (who I have always disliked) is one of those crazy right-wingers who forwards all sorts of chain emails about various Obama conspiracy theories, and is always good for at least one extremely offensive comment per hour spent with her. If I hadn't already been non-homophobic, I think I would have supported gay rights just to spite her.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to think, no.

10. KnightAssassin

i think i would have a homophobic phase but after that i would be accepting , i am very relaxed on all stances and things and very submissive in my personality so i don't think i would . i do have gay relatives that would prolly end up keeping me from homophobia .

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sadly I was one of those homophobic christians before I realized that I was not straight...

So I have to answer this yes... but I would've come around eventually because 2 of my closest friends just came out to me recently. So I think that that would've set me on the path to being accepting.

12. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

i dont think i would be. once you get to really know someone deep done, there are so many other reasons to hate someone

13. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

The answer is simple. No. I have always tried to live my life free of malice of others. Even being bullied in school, and forced to fight to protect myself, I still maintained that people were better than the few that chose to hate me... then I discovered The Internet and it open the doors to a whole new world of information, and yes, complete and utter human fecal matter, both literally and figuratively. But that is a whole other thread.

I can honestly say that if I was 100% straight, I would not have a problem with anyone who was gay. It is no concern of mine what someone does with their genitals. Love is love, and mature people making decisions and living their lives in a way that doesn't harm me is none of my business.

I truly believe that the core of homophobia is little more than a juvenile schoolyard bully mentality, that some damaged people never grow out of. People who are unhappy in their own lives, feel the need to infect others with their misery to conceal their own shortcomings and personal failures.

Maybe I love myself enough, to let others love as well.

#53 ArcherySet, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  14. Whiplash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope I wouldn't be. But then my father holds some less than tolerant views, so...

15. Eleanor Rigby

No way.... but, wait a minute... I'm not LGBT. Still, NO WAY !!!

16. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

its okay you're not LGBT, we're accepting of all life styles here lol

17. zenihua

same, only less on the christian part and more of a super conservative environment and culture. i would like to think that i would not be homophobic as time went on but, in the country i grew up in, i find it unlikely. lucky for me, i discovered how sexy women can be ;P

18. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had some ignorant thoughts on gay people before I realized I was gay. That's one reason it took me so long to figure out I am gay. I didn't dislike gay people and I didn't like racial discrimination so I don't think i'd be a homophobe. Hard to say though because many years ago I didn't think gay people should have kids. I thought that because of what "religious" people said and I had never looked at it seriously. I'm more educated for being gay I think so that's good.

19. Lewis

Well, I have a gay uncle and gay cousin, so I have never (even since being a child) had a problem with gay people. I have sometimes followed the crowd and laughed at jokes in my early teens, but I was always ashamed of that because I knew that I were gay myself. I guess those were just my attempts to hide it better...

20. Brenny

Me? Verrryyy. My family is too.