1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YouTube Fell Down the Rabbit Hole...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GirlWhoWaited, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Just Jess

So I'm not going to have time to investigate this until next weekend, but I haven't changed my name everywhere yet. There are some family I'm not out to, that I plan on never being out to.

I do use G-mail but I've been meaning to stop and set up my own mail server again. But until I do that, I was wondering, is there a way to use different names in e-mail and youtube still? Or do I just have to out myself and rush transition every time I, for example, apply for a job?

I've never been happy with a lot of the advertising that Google partners with with respect to being trans anyway. I'm really glad I'm out to everyone in my personal life, because if I wasn't, I sure as heck would be if they glanced at my computer screen and saw the ads coming up. "Suggested videos: dozens of trans things and a nintendo speedrun". Yay.

But this, combining e-mail with everything you do for fun on the internet, no work-life separation possible, is a whole new level of annoying. For me it's annoying anyway. For some poor closeted kid googling for answers because they don't know how to use a more private search engine (by the way I like ixquick.com), trying to come to terms with being gay or trans, born to the wrong parents, it could be a lot worse than annoying, and that really bothers me.

2. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey look, what I said a couple of weeks ago turned out to be true. Shocker...

Buckley here sums up my final thoughts on this:
    [YOUTUBE]MlH4cZ5vW_M[/YOUTUBE]

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

He's wrong though, you still can't comment half the time, because you don't have 'permission' to. And this isn't a moderator approval thing.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We've reached the point of no return.

[​IMG]

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

6. Sarcastic Luck

Eh. Any major meme is going to do that. Look at gangnam style, harlem shake, what does the fox say?, etc.

7. Drago2012

This isn't necessarily a bad thing thing. The more mistakes Google makes, the more chances good competition will arise that will dethrone YouTube.
    From what I understand, reddit is soon to release their video sharing update, and from what I've read its supposed to be quite awesome, reddit is already pretty awesome as it is. Hopefully Reddit will take a hold of most YouTube user count and Google will have to think hard to gain their user count back.
    Capitalism at is best! :grin:
    I also loved YouTube before the update, I hate that I have to have two separate accounts so I don't have to use my real name on YouTube.