1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Capsaicin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does it necessarily matter if they're filled in correctly, though? Beyond the important parts, that is. I think what needs to be expressed should be expressed clearly and in no uncertain terms and the rest should be read through a personal bias to make a unique experience.

I guess if you need to see the whole picture to work with it, though, that makes sense.

#21 Capsaicin, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. DanD

I have a detailed plan of the opening plot, and sub-plots, and I'd also have a middle and end in mind, but the majority of what I write is made up as I write it.
    I know what direction I want to take certain characters in etc, and so long as it's gripping, and that readers really do want to know what happens next and can really understand what the characters are thinking, then I know I've done a good job.

I'm currently writing the final chapter of my current novel, which is set in Las Vegas, and will be sending to the London publisher who has requested the full manuscript next week.

Please keep your fingers crossed that they take it on, because if they do I'll be a hell of a lot happier. :icon_wink

3. LinkLarkin

I'm in the science fantasy genre at the moment, so I really need to do a lot of planning in order to work out how to fit together the components of two very different genres. Also, I like my storylines nice and complex, so it's a lot easier to avoid plot holes if the whole world is thoroughly planned out and no surprises come along.

That said, I often use ideas that just come to me rather than over thinking everything for long periods of time, but then I find a way to sensibly fit them into my existing universe instead of leaving them there as a glaring "deus ex machina" type thing.

4. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i only write poetry/political blog posts
    so not

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for knowing what this is! :grin: It crops up far too frequently in fantasy or speculative stories, and it totally kills the flow of things.

With space fiction in particular though, this site has proven very useful for research:

Index - Atomic Rockets

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write sports articles for a fan run blog site. I also am good at writing some fiction, but I think I want to be a liberal journalist.

7. NouvelleVague

As a reader, if I may give my advice, I rather like it when I understand all the rules of another world. Although, I can't stand having all said at once. I need it to come smoothly throughout the book, given from different point of views (different characters)...

But if you get lost into pages and pages of details and do not make things move, I feel really lost. Remember you're writing for others, not for yourself (I mean, I assume so, maybe you write for yourself). So anyway, you might want to be clear and concise :slight_smile:

8. Wells

Wells Guest

I'm a good writer, as my English teachers say. I get a picture of what I want in my head then let it unfold in a roughly planned story.