1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Hexagon

I believe there are a fair number of writers here on EC. So my question to you is how detailed to you make your world, in terms of details that you don't explicitly give your reader? Often, I draw my world, or objects in it. I do characters sometimes, but I'm not very good at that. If its a sci-fi or fantasy setting, I carefully design laws, magic, technology and history to ridiculous detail. It helps me to picture the world, gives me a feel for what it does, how it works, and it also helps me feel that I'm describing events realistically.

A recent example of this would be:

(I also drew, then photoshopped the item in question)

2. BornInTexas

Mine are usually very detailed. I write Star Wars sci-fi, so it might be a little easier as I have a guide called Wookieepedia.

3. Gen

Gen

I plan things out to the max.

I've currently been working on a fantasy series, which is the absolute worst in terms of the amount of though and planning to actually be logical and reasonably realistic. I think the hardest thing about it, and something that I'm not even completely done with after ages of sorting things out is that the story deals with magic and, although most of the magic isn't exclusive per-se, each individuals is going to have an instinct preference to specialization because of genetics, bloodline, heritage, etc steming all the way back to the tribal origins of 'man'(In this world).

For something so simple as a reader reading that "Oh, he's of this bloodline/specialization", I have to become a genetics professor and spends hours mapping out each pairing, their offspring, the offspring's offspring, for generations, just to say "Oh he should be this"........

It wouldn't be as bad if the history of this world wasn't basically the complete cause of the conflict in the present of the story and the fact that the bloodlines are one of the most crucial factors in the story. There are definitely undertones of prejudice and generalizations; there are certain specializations and heritages that are seen as much more admirable and acceptable. There are certain specializations that a member found to be our their relation would be outright executed. There have been wars between different ones.

So long story short, it is extremely important for the one for character to be absolutely correct for the clarity of the story. It just takes an obscene amount of time and having to create an extra 100+ characters only for the sake of saying that they had these children who had children. >_>

4. Minx

I plan out a lot. :dead:

Even if I don't describe everything in a building or any other location. I need constant references from pictures I search up. It helps to visualize the setting.

Although, it is kind of silly of me to plan as much because my main strength is dialogue. :lol:

5. KingdomKeyDK

I'm writing a kind of knock off from both Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. Typical of me...

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't plan things out or try to write certain details down. I prefer to let the story, including the characters, evolve as I continue to write scenes.

7. KingdomKeyDK

That's me too. I don't plan I just let it flow out and let it form.

8. Sarcastic Luck

I do an obscene amount of planning and research.

9. Capsaicin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to leave most of it up to the reader's imagination after I've created the proper atmosphere and structure. They'll fill in the blanks on their own with the right prodding, and I think it's much more personalized and likely to hold their interest than giving them a long list of facts and rules.

10. Hexagon

I'm not saying your way is bad or anything. Its just that for me, at least, I don't actually give them the details I create. But for me, personally, to know the details, lets the right words and descriptions come out so that when the reader comes to fill in the blanks, they fill them in correctly.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Depends. I hate spending time on planning/outlining and like to delve right in. I'll make maps/concept sketches if needed but that's the gist of it. It shows in my writing. I spend little time on description- don't like mincing words. :wink:

12. Gen

Gen

I agree. I admire the idea of "going with the flow", and under certain circumstance I'd imagine it would be quite fun, but I simply don't see it as very feasible outside of a single edition story.( At least with a single edition you can always rewrite if things go poorly)

Personally, in regards to series, I think it is very inconsiderate for a writer to go into it without any proper structure. Once you take the step to trying to publish your work, some consideration has to be given to your readers in regards to providing them with the best story you can. After all, they are paying for your work and taking time out of their days to sit down and read them. Even seasoned writers can get backlash for lack of planning. *Cough* *Cough* G.R.R. Martin..........>_>

13. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well... I take back what I said about outlining. I often work with fantasy series and while I hate going in with a detailed plan, I like to have some idea of what's going to happen. Usually vague, but can't say I've ever gotten to the point where I've finished even the first book of the series.

14. Gen

Gen

I think that your way was just fine. My opinion was that if you are writing a series, you should know exactly what is going to happen in the last book by the time you publish the first one. In general, for people who write for completely themselves or maybe to post it online, I think its perfect fine to not prepare or write whatever you feel.

I just get annoyed when I hear people who have or plan to publish their works claiming that "they'll just go where the words take them", as if its some personal inner journey that effects no one else. When you choose to publish your work, it isn't all about you anymore. There are hundreds to thousands, to at times millions, of people shelling out their cash and personal time to devote to what you have created. I just feel its a bit of a slap in the face to say "Oh I don't know. Lets just see what happens." and hope that you don't run into complications or contradictions in the future.

But if nothing is publish yet, have a ball, I say. Lol

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your question was "how detailed do you make your world?" Only enough detail to advance your story, in that context every detail is a telling detail.

Can you answer the question as to what is your story?

16. Hexagon

Well not really. I don't give the readers all the details I create.

The story is about aliens and capitalism. Its set in britain in about twenty years time. :slight_smile:

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good, you have a story, with a plot I presume (I've heard once that there are really only a very few plots in the world). This is the beauty of the telling detail, it's that one pivotal bit of information that allows the reader to infer and fill in the details for you as the story advances.

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on what I'm writing...

I have never really liked outlining, and sitting around carefully crafting page after page of notes setting details is not my idea of fun, either. Although I might reconsider at some point if some project calls for it.

Usually I have a basic outline in my mind of where I am going. This is often critical. I've written several mystery and suspense stories, and for those it's critical to know exactly where I am going. Also certain points on the path need to be hit since those points will be critical for the end. Particularly in the case of a detective story where there needs to be clues setting up the solution.

Other times I am...a little more elastic. I have one project that's been going off and on--mostly off--for more than 10 years, and it was started on the "we'll see what happens next!" philosophy. But in terms of the hours I've wasted, er, spent in outside development and research makes it one of the most "non-writing time" time intensive projects I've taken on, as I check small details ranging from drinking age in Idaho for the era the story takes place, to details of when Reagan was governor, to questions of what roads existed years back. On top of that, I've obsessed endlessly about details of the characters, down to mundane and pointless details of how they carry their keys. Perhaps I got a little obsessive/compulsive.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Research is a writer's best friend. I usually end up with a situation where every bit of knowledge that goes into the story is backed up by like five parts gained in research. I won't go so far as calculating exact numbers unless absolutely needed, but in writing moderate-hard sci-fi, I have found myself learning about tons of scientific concepts and making tons of pages of notes that will probably not make it into the story.

So basically, yeah. The finished material is the tip of a very dense iceberg.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My characters for my straight love story gone terribly wrong I came up with when I was 7, and the story just developed over time as I got older, and when I was 16, I started putting them down on paper. Almost two years later, I'm making progress, but still nowhere near done.

I'm writing a short story based off a kid I knew that's going absolutely nowhere, and a tell-all book about what it's like to work at Wal-Mart.