1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers! Come and Talk About Writing!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 101DeadRoses, Mar 5, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

2. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Would someone writing poems and songs be accepted on this thread ?

3. ApexxShadow

I'm currently working on a dystopian novel with my friend. It's a cross between the Hunger Games, and Divergent.

We also plan to write a queer dystopian novel, which I'm really excited about.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My cold-blooded criticism is that that sort of plot is too overdone and has little potential. But your awareness of similarities to those two stories will probably help more than hurt, so do it and make it awesome. :grin: What is your "queer dystopian novel" going to be about?

5. 101DeadRoses

Well, of course you'll be accepted, but really poetry/songwriting and storytelling are two different worlds. Poets might not be as good at writing a novel as they would a haiku, and vice versa, so I would suggest finding a different thread for those.
    There should be both in the Entertainment and Media forum, though they might be a bit buried, and one poetry thread that I know of might be in Chit Chat.

Even so, I write poetry too. ^_^ I'd write songs as well, but I'm no good at it and don't really want to pursue songwriting anyway. Maybe I'd play drums in a band someday, but that's it, really.

6. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I'll come back the day I have a story to share then, wait for me
    *disappears in his room*

7. Lyana

Well, writing short stories and writing novels are also vastly different (in my opinion, mostly because I can do one but not the other), but we're all writers in the end. I have friends who are writers in real life, most of whom write poetry, whereas I've never touched it (well, maybe once or twice). We can still find a lot of common ground and really interesting topics when we're talking, specifically, about writing.

Question: Why do you guys write?

8. Lazuri

Why? Because my head is constantly flooded by ideas and I feel that if I don't get them out on paper, I'll go crazy...er.

I also like the idea that when I'm gone, something in the world will remain with my name on it.

If I can bring a couple of people enjoyment from reading my stuff then that's a very welcome bonus.

9. RainDreamer

Oh gee. This is a hard question. It is so broad for me. There are many, many kind of writings, and each of them for a different reasons. There are work writing, then there are hobby writing. There are writing for others, then there are writing for myself. There are writing for communication, there are writing for meditation. And so on.

Lots of forms of writing and lots of reasons for each of them. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they are not. I can't tell all the reason why I write for each of those, because there are so many I probably have no idea at all.

10. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Well i've got a lot of ideas going through my head but i've never came down to writing anything in the end because i never get to working out the details (i change my mind too often)

if i ever get down to doing anything it'll be a comic.The two main ideas i'm currently working on are these:

1.A crime story whith a group of people where one person that was very close to people in an emotional sense that is revealed to be a murderer later on.here should be some suspicion against them in beforehand because the reader would expect this suspicion to be cleared and the subject proven unguilty in the end (playing around with expectations is awesome).In the process the rest of the people would have to deal with said person again to solve something else.I like the psychology in it with discovering someone you thought you knew very well is actually a complete stranger.
    This idea is pretty old and i only revived it because it goes so well with the second one.

2.Inspired by fantasy novels:if someone on the street would tell you the stuff you hear there like "you are the chosen one" etc. you'd probably declare them crazy.Going from this idea I'm thinking about a Sherlock-Holmes-like Protagonist- someone that believes in logic being confronted with the supernatural.On the other hand i'd create an adversary where the reader remains unsure wether this person is insane or not.Combined with the above this one would probably commit these murders for a reason linked to the fantastic element in the story.

The second reason i'm not writing it is because it seems like a gigantic load of bullshit to me sometimes so if anyone has any thoughts on this feel free to share.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You rap, yes?
    Dropping dope beats,
    like Koopas on N.E.S.?

I hope that you do,
    Wait a second, you're French --
    call me 'Misses Waterloo', when I'm talking to you.

LOL. I'm terrible, I know
    I <3 you.

To be totally serious, though. Poems and songs are pretty powerful, and can often times surpass even a visual presentation in terms of influence. They're events and stories too, just compressed. I've been moved more by songs and poems than novels, which is why I'd say they're definitely welcomed. Even silly little freestyle rhymes. Expression, period, is cool in my book.

If you want a list:

- Therapeutic
    - 'Tangible progress'
    - When shared, the impression and opinions it invokes. Sharing writing is very much like a currency, because it shares ideas and styles, and possibly helps both writers to step it up. I've picked up tricks and techniques over the years, and it makes any English/Writing class easier, LOL.

And, as of a little bit ago, it's now a way for me to make money. I'll always need to write, so like working out a muscle, I should improve. Well, ideally. I may slip into super writer's block. But that bridge will be crossed, when I get to it.

If you want some super deep reason, this is basically it:

You can think all the amazing thoughts in the world,
    but unless you express them to somebody else, they die with you.​

Some folks keep it simple, and write letters to one another. Some send e-mails, and many more texts. Many exchange gossip and secrets. The lucky ones, they become internationally known for their craft, and increase their chances at being able to influence the masses. They become worthy of remembrance.

I write in the hopes of sparking that idea or inspiring that attitude in somebody, as well as myself, to do something with their lives, like, I don't know, discover a free, unlimited source of fuel, maybe invent teleportation or spreading those good vibes, to somebody else who could use them. It's really corny, but it is true. Writing allows me to collect my thoughts, release some energy, and make that paper-paper, LOL.

12. Jellal

I want my story to be told, plain and simple.

After that, it would be great if it gave someone the courage they needed to hold on even when the going got tough and helped them find the strength to overcome something difficult.

EDIT: More specifically I want to draw attention to some of the things I think are most important about life from my perspective—ambition, tenacity, sharing your weaknesses and your strengths with others, working to understand even your enemies, being empathic and passionate and brave, to the bitter end.

#72 Jellal, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write because I love stories, and some that don't exist need to be created. It's similar to the feeling I get from playing video games, except that in the writing world, you are God. And unfortunately with that much power comes that much responsibility. Writing's much less fun if you abuse your power and create a discordant jumble of ideas, beat poets notwithstanding :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

I also developed a passion for writing as an art in itself as much as a medium for creation. I love finding exactly the right word to describe something, or conjure the perfect emotion. Each word and phrase is a player in an orchestra, and the writer is their conductor.

#73 Argentwing, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  14. 101DeadRoses

LOL okay. I will be eagerly awaiting your reply.

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2015 at 08:00 PM ----------

I write not only because it's therapeutic, what I love to immerse myself in and study, and it gives my life meaning, but because I have committed myself to writing inclusive novels to give younger LGBT+ people characters and stories to relate to, as I grew up without anyone/anything I could relate to and I know how painful it is.
    Also, just the idea of creating a world, people, and a universe and burying myself in it is just incredibly desirable... I love the fact that my characters are my friends, enemies, and family despite their...well...fictionality. It's like, after a certain point, they become real. They know me, and they know each other, and they know themselves, which some people find scary, but I find incredible. It's like all the joy and pride of becoming a new parent without the pain of childbirth. :thumbsup:

And I love how much I can feel myself becoming a part of the story, not just its writer. It's like I'm just writing down what happened to people I closely knew, and everything really happened. It's incredible.

15. Jellal

Gotta post a writing update: I'm having sooooooooo much fun right now writing some villainous ideas for a group of villains. Organization XIII, Akatsuki, the Phantom Troupe ... I like the idea of villain teams. When antagonists gather in number, the threat they pose grows greater! And generally, their characterization grows thinner. So that's something I've had to iron out early on, what makes them distinct from one another outside of a defining 'power' or 'appearance.' It's been super-fun coming up with the kind of interplay they have with each other, their overall group dynamic. When all's said and done, they're still best described as a bunch of homicidal comic-con attendees with way too much power and time on their hands, but that's fine by me. For them, I've chosen the path of "most fun to write" rather than "most morally ambiguous." Just like the heroes, they also have 'nakama power' and they get pissed if anyone hurts their friends. Getting readers to relate to the things that make them tick (outside of their unrealistically destructive qualities) is what I'm going for.

16. Lazuri

I'm doing the same thing for my story. The part about characterization growing thinner can be difficult to deal with and not only for villain groups.

17. 101DeadRoses

That's good. Making them more than just the super-big-bad-guy-sitting-on-top-of-a-mountain-planning-world-domination stereotype, and making them relatable is important. It makes them much more human, and it makes them harder to blindly hate. It forces the reader to seek out WHY they should dislike/disagree with the villian, and can even make them like them a bit and feel betrayed when there's this reminder of "yeah, this isn't necessarily a good guy we're dealing with."
    But I have a request, addressed to all writers in general:
    Don't write about these evil villians who know they're evil, revel in their dark darky evilness and are as evil as physically possible. Make them believe in what they're doing, and believe that what they're doing is right. Make them the heroes of their own story, where if the viewpoint was changed around to their side, the reader might just root for them with a little persuasion. Don't have them be above guilt and morality. Have them just do what they have to to get what they want and maybe have them feel a little regret for running over that little girl as they were making their getaway in a semitruck. Make them human.

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I don't know if I entirely agree with this, although I see where you're coming from. Nobody should ever write an "evil evil I know I'm evil, I'm all about evil" villain (simply bad writing). However, not all villains need to feel guilt or empathy either. Sociopaths and narcissists exist. Instead of erasing them, we should just try to understand their psyches and try to realistically integrate them with the plot. Give them an interesting purpose above "RAWR SO EVIL".

Between my main two villains, one is tragic/sympathetic and the other is a near sociopathic narcissist. However, she is also not a typical "SO EVUL" villain and is one of my most favorite/developed characters of all time. I love tragic/sympathetic villains, but if every villain was, we create a new stereotype trope (since not all real life killers are empathetic either).

(Though I'm not saying that you shouldn't or can't make more "guilt-free" villains relatable, which is what I do personally, so I do agree with the gist of this)

#78 Fallingdown7, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
  19. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A villain usually has to genuinely believe that they're doing the right thing. Unless you're writing the Joker or some sort of satire (Balloon Bursters Incorporated or something) it's probably best for the villain to think that their crusade is the righteous path. I'll pitch you an example:

In 1995's Judge Dredd, Judge Dredd is exiled by the rest of the police and his "evil" brother takes over. While his brother is decidedly over the top evil, he still thinks that by abolishing the Judges he's doing the right thing because he sees them as a corrupt organization-- that's a gross oversimplification of the plot, but maybe you see what I'm driving at.

20. 101DeadRoses

Live, thread, live!

In a while, I'm gonna post some character prompts and generation techniques. I hope you guys are excited, because I have some techniques that no-one's ever heard of before. I invented some, adapted others, but every single one is tried and true. And now that I know how to use the spoiler tags, there'll be no more "raining words." So there, RainDreamer! :wink: