1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers! Come and Talk About Writing!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 101DeadRoses, Mar 5, 2015.

1. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's kinda embarrassing but I write romance/erotica fiction of me and my best friend. It makes me feel better.

2. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I finally started writing my 6th story. Right now, I'm finishing up chapter 4. I decided to use the first 6 chapters to introduce each main character, and bring all of them together in chapter 7. I also always use themed chapter names. Since this is Welcome To Famenta, I decided to name each chapter Welcome To (something that has to do with the chapter). So far I have Famenta (for Cero), the Engagement (for Helmsley), Hyder (for Alba), the Pregnancy (for Zenzi), Leander (for Tori), CETS (for Erin), and the Group.

Unfortunately, my bus has been coming late this year, so I don't have time in homeroom to write. I also got a book I wanted to read for 5 months now, so I will also be reading that.

I also realized that I think I have too many nicknames. Only one main character goes by her full first name, Alba. She's also the only one not (purposely) named after someone/something.

I just really wanted to talk about Welcome to Famenta a lot lately, so that's why I just kept talking.

3. perpetuality

I want to write science fiction and fantasy, aiming to publish a novel (someday, far off in the distance). I try to include horror and humour into my works and although I'm getting better at it I feel as if I have a long way to go~

4. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey, thanks for creating this thread. I'm writing a screenplay. I plan to shoot it, on a an ultra-low budget. Guerrilla filmmaking!

Our hero is a young man from the island of Saipan. He is attending the University of Washington for the school of music. He speaks Chamorro (the native language of Saipan), and loves reggae, especially Bob Marley.

Coming from a very traditional Catholic family, Rayphan struggles with coming out. He decides to use music to express his feelings, and eventually comes out with song.

I'm really digging this story, and I'm definitely moving forward with it. The situation I'm dealing with at the moment, and that I'm hoping to get help with here, is this --what is his Dark Night of the Soul? What is the moment when All is Lost, right at the end of the 2nd act?

As of now, I'm thinking it's when he comes out to an old friend, and is rejected, basically un-friended.

But as a straight man, I don't know what the lowest of lows feels like for a gay man. Any advice here?

#504 filmmakingally, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    filmmakingally, I'm not trying to be flippant, but do you think that maybe you should do some more research and perhaps refine your question?

I'm not throwing shade here (o.k., maybe a little), but you said that "as a straight man you don't know what the lowest of lows feels like for a gay man." Are you implying that gay men have different feelings than straight men? Have you ever had an old friend suddenly turn on you and reject you for who you are as a person because of a personal trait over which you had no control? That feeling? Maybe you've never actually experienced that kind of rejection and extreme disappointment in your life, in which case you can't directly relate to the 'lowest of the low' feelings you are asking about. But why do you think that that feeling is any different for a gay man - or anyone else, for that matter - than a straight man like you?

O.K. sorry, but I think you are approaching this from a somewhat ignorant angle.

6. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey, I don't mind you throwing a tad bit of shade, nor do I mind you pointing out the fact that I'm not even slightly familiar with what it's like to be a gay man in America. That's precisely what I'm here for. I want to know what things I might be missing out on.

To answer your question, let me assure you, as a person, I've felt the lowest of lows. I've contemplated suicide. And I don't just mean that the thought has popped into my head. I mean that there was once a time in my life when I was making actual plans, weighing the pros/cons of how/when to do it.

I apologize for the way I phrased the question. I didn't mean for it to sound like I thought that gay men had any kind of monopoly on depression. I'm just saying that I don't know what it would feel like to be rejected by a close friend because of who I am.

No, I do not know what that feels like. I've never been rejected by a close friend because of who I am. That's why I asked the question.

Also, me asking this question is research. I sincerely apologize for anything I might've said that didn't come off right. I'm trying my best to be an ally, and there's really no instruction manual for that. Best wishes!

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No harm. No foul, filmmakingally. I don't have first-hand knowledge of being rejected by a friend when Coming Out (at least so far) as a bisexual man, but I can try to give you a sense of what it's like from talking to friends. If you care to have that discussion, I suggest that you post on my Wall. I think such a discussion goes on a tangent separate from the purpose of this thread.

Quantum

8. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks, Quantum, I'll take you up on that offer! It's sleepy-time for me right now, so I'll catch up with you later.

9. LaEsmeralda

I find I can only write first thing in the morning. Like it can't be an afterthought at the end of the day. I need to get up and have it be my goal for the day. Music also really helps me write but only classical or instrumental soundtracks.

Anyone else have specific circumstances that help them get in the mood to write?

10. filmmakingally

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I definitely need music to help me formulate ideas. But when it comes to the time that I actually start punching my fingers on the keyboard, I need absolute silence. I'm rockin' the F' out to some dubstep right now!

11. Lazuri

I'm going to necro this thread, because it's a good thread and I need to ask something.

Yesterday night when trying to sleep, I had this flash of inspiration unlike anything I've had before.

It started with an idea for a story and I tried playing it out in my head as I tend to do when I get a new idea, but it just never stopped. I could've stopped and slept at any time, but I just kept myself from falling asleep, trying to see how far this could go. For five hours I laid in bed watching this continuous reel of a story in my head that I can only describe as writing itself.

I eventually felt I had to sleep to not totally fuck my sleeping schedule when it was 5AM, but at that point, I had enough material to write an entire book.

So what I wanted to ask was, has this ever happened to anybody else here?

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that in particular where I literally stayed up to do it (responsibilities are too heavy and I need my sleep X.X) but yeah, lying in bed at night is when I am most creative. Quite unfortunate most times XD.

13. clocky

14. Lazuri

I started writing it. couldn't let this pass me by after month's of writer's block. Years even.

#514 Lazuri, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017