1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date someone transgendered if they were still their birth sex?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by maverick, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Haberdasher

I just want to point out that "FtMs" have no one set of behaviour and plenty are actually effeminate guys.

As for myself, if they're on hormones, had chest surgery, and never ask me to go near their front hole then I think we'd be fine. Even better if they've had a meto as I don't mind small dick. After all, at that point they are primarily biologically male and therefore hit all the right buttons for me. I might miss penis, though (assuming pre-op down below). They'd have to be my "type" though and since they're certainly variable in my experience I think the right-degree-of-effeminate is certainly possible to find.

In regards to an MtF woman who wasn't planning to transition. I'm less sure. The physical componant is there for that one but I could never fully conceptualise her as a woman (since our sex life would depend on me at least partially conceptualising her a man) and I think that would bother her.

2. maverick

That's true, I didn't mean to generalize.

3. Katelynn

I met someone on a transgender dating site &, although she lives in the UK & she hasn't had her SRS surgery yet, I would date her in a heartbeat. It sucks that for now we just have an online relationship, but I'm hoping one day things may change if we're both willing & neither of us have met somebody else IRL by then...

4. paper person

Since i guess the answers are on and idividual basis i guess il give some context for my answer.

As far as my interests go, I like the male body alot more than the female body. but there is the rare hot girl, (realy rare though lol). however im bi romantic and that all depends on personality. I like whatever both compasionate and confident,regarldes of what gender, mostly cuz im a shy and akward sort of guy and like. I have only had crushes on girls but that was more on a romantic level. Also ive never had a relationship and am a super virgin so my answer might be scewed.

While im not totally opposed to dating a trans person, I think it would wierd me out a little. It would just confuse me abit and make things akward i guess.

What if they introduced me as there prefered gender and already look like that? I thought that what they were and would go think of potential interst as that gender. if they told me later after we were introduced, to be honest it would scare me off a bit. I would try to make it work if i was genuanly intersted but i feel as if it would just be to confusing. I want a man for a man or a women for a women body and all. However if i truly loved them for who they are it may not be a problem but still ... IDK.

Sorry if that is closed mined of me or in any way offencive. I have no problems with anybody for gender identity reasons, but on an intiment level it would be confusing and it would freak me out. Sorry

5. Sadepeura

No it wouldn't. I would still introduce him as my boyfriend if it was really important to him, although it might need some explaining if everyone else saw him as a female. But if I was in love with him so it would be, and the fact that it wouldn't really fit in with my lesbianism wouldn't be an issue. If I was attracted to a FtM why would a silly label stop me from dating them?

6. query

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    no. they want to be women, i want a man. sure they have the same equiptment, but ... it just wouldn't work out for me, it would be like dating a women ...

7. maverick

But if I'm transgendered, why should I have to go around telling people when I first meet them? It's really a private thing, you know? It's not like I can walk up to someone at the club and go, "Hey, my name's Mav, for some reason I have a guy's brain and a girl's body, can I buy you a drink?" Then again, I'm not going to go around pretending to be a guy, either. I have a unisex name, I present androgynously, and you can find me attractive that way or not. *shrug*

Here's the thing. I don't feel like it's my fault if I am being myself and I get mistaken for a guy, because I am one. Or at least that's what it feels like most of the time. Intensely. Not like a fetish. Not like a passing hypothetical. Like a birth defect that skews your fundamental perspective of the world for life. (I know some people take offense at transgenderism/transsexualism being classified as a birth defect, but if it's caused by switched wires in the brain, isn't that what it basically boils down to?)

Transfolk get accused of trying to "trick" or "convert", but it really isn't about that kind of stuff at all.

I understand where you're coming from though. If I wasn't bisexual in some regard anyway, I would probably have a difficult time with it. But plumbing doesn't matter to me much. If you have a dick under your cocktail dress, that's cool, and if you have a bound chest under your motorcycle jacket, that's cool too.

I think I'm open-minded about it simply because I know what it's like to have to live like that. I am actually attracted to transgendered people, because we have something in common that most people don't share with us and can never really understand. I feel like I could really bond with another transperson (guy or girl) over something like that, just because so few people know what it's like.

8. Sadepeura

But for instance, I would honestly want to understand what it is like. I'm not transgendered so I don't know what it is actually like, but because I'm open minded I would really like to get to know transgendered people and to do my best to understand. Is that not enough?

9. maverick

Oh no, that's totally awesome! And I'm happy there are open-minded cisgendered people out there who will date transgendered people.

I'm not saying I have a preference for dating other transpeople or anything. If I was being completely honest, I'd say I prefer cisgirls above all else - the whole "I prefer my men to be men and my women to be women" applies to me as well as anybody else. I'm not gonna lie and say that the "dick under the dress" scenario wouldn't throw me a little - it would - but if I was attracted to that transgirl before I ever knew that, the new knowledge doesn't really change anything. If anything, it just makes that person more intriguing to me because we have that in common. (Not the dick, just the transgenderism. :lol:slight_smile:

On the other hand, I wouldn't "chase" transgendered people to date. There is nothing in transgenderism itself that is attractive to me other than the shared experience. Well, I do find androgyny attractive, but if there is a total split between gender presentation and plumbing, I'm gonna be as surprised as the next person.

#29 maverick, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  10. Danny19

i dont want to say never. but as of now, i have no intentions and i wouldnt like to date someone like that. Just because i like guys because they are guys. The guy i want to date should act like a guy and think like a guy and most definitely look like a guy. sorry but the transgendered doesnt really get me going.

11. Gallatin

I mean it might be kind of awkward, but what the hell, I'm opened minded and might have a go at it. I'm not going to be actively searching for that kind of relationship, but if the situation was right, I wouldn't spurn the opportunity just because of that.

12. paper person

Im sorry. I did not mean to offend or upset anyone. Clearly I do not understand what it is like to be transgender so certain things might not occur to me and i apologize if i was offenive at all. No I dont belive that trans should go aroung telling eveyone clearly that is ureasonnible and stupid of me for even considering. Like i said if a trans idavidual who identifies as there prefred sex and presents them selves that way i would assume (which i realize is not always the right thing but perfectly reasonable) that they had the plumbing to match.

I have never fallen for someone based on there looks, it was mostly in there personality (with a bit of denail on occasion but thats not the point). If i had fallen for a trans person and if the feelings were returned i would asume (again not always the best to do) hopefully that they would tell me before advancing a relationship to a physical level. If and when they told me it would most likely confuse and scare me because it is something unfamiliar. Hopefully if this scenario does happen and I would love the person anyway, becaue it would be shallow, rude, a bit close-minded and akward for both parties. However the possibilty of breaking it off because of the that fact is defiantly there and somthing i recognize. Persoanly i am someone that is uncomfertable easily and it might be a big thing to me. but like i said who knows what would happen.

Im probably talking with my foot so deep in my mouth im probably kicking my own ass because I have not had a relationship or peronaly a trans idavidual. i know of one in my school as well as freinds relative but do not know them personally. Clearly its somthing i dont understand because I am a cisgendered indavidual but, like Supernova said, like to understand and would have know problem being freinds with one (so long I actually found them to be cool person to be freinds with in the first place). I like to think Im open mined enogh to accept, respect and like trans indavidual but an relationship is a big thing with many aspects and while im not sure, because it has never happened, this is might be where i draw the line. plenty of people have standard for reationships and this might be one of mine. While i would like to belive its not-important as any thing else i recognize that it might be a big thing to me.

I apologize ahead of time of my previous post was at all offencive or indeed this post is. I want to answer question as honestly as possible with anyone taking offence. I just want to understand.

13. maverick

No dude, I am totally not even in the slightest offended. You'd have to try a LOT harder than that. :lol:

I would never NOT tell someone about this before sleeping with them. For a couple of reasons. One - because it is very, very dangerous. It seems like so many instances you hear of transgendered people and transsexuals getting murdered or beaten up is due to the fact that they did not tell their attacker before getting physically intimate with them. (I think this is a scarier prospect for transwomen than transmen.)

Two - I think it is really, really disrespectful. For all the reasons you stated above. It has the capacity to scare or confuse people who aren't prepared right to hear about it. It can shock them and make them have kneejerk reactions, rather than giving them time to let the information sink in. People have to be ready to hear about it and process (almost exactly as if you were coming out gay to them) and when someone is feverishly unbuckling your belt is probably not a very good time to drop the T-bomb.

#33 maverick, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  14. Bosco

I understand that there's a need for terminology and labels to identify with, but I feel like this hypothetical situation is too deeply entangled with nitty definitions.

I probably would have problems myself because it's not vocabulary that I was taught or am used to. That being said though, that's much less important than the feelings I'd have for said person. I'd definitely date a transgendered person because I'd love them for who they are :slight_smile:

15. Wylde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was going to try to read everything before replying, but I gave up half-way through the first page and just skimmed the second. If anything I say has already been said or stated a zillion times, or etc, that's why.

My opinion on this is probably a bit biased, as I, myself, am a transman. I, however, am gay. So I'm a gay guy trapped in a straight girl's body. I'd be more than willing to date another transman, as long as we connected at an emotional level. Dating someone who is transgendered might even be easier in the end.

The thing with being gay and a transman is that most people think that there's no point in trying ot transition, as I'd have a better chance of getting a guy as a girl. But in my mind, I'm a guy who wants to connect emotionally and, assuming the relationship got to that point physically. The equipment down below does something for me, so I would be far more likely to date and get involved with a cisgendered gay man, however I would never put that above personality and emotional connection. Love is love, and if that person just so happens to have been mistakenly born a woman, than so be it.

16. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not speaking for most gay guys here, perhaps, but personally, I think I'd see how far I could get without pointy bits.

We're getting deep into hypothetical territory here, but I guess I would try to make the sexual part of the relationship into: "two gay dudes having straight sex with each other".
    There'd be some no-nos (I can't imagine being the one who does the giving in oral sex in such a scenario), but for all the rest a lot of straight couples seem to have variety just fine, so I'm sure there's tons of things to try.

And then there's toys for when I'd really want certain things done to me, but I'd try conceptualising that as if I'm dating a guy who's a really exclusive bottom xD

It don't think I could do anything other than refer to them as their chosen sex whether they made a point of it or not. The alternative would be kind of like deciding you don't like their name and just starting to refer to them by a different name.

E.g. I'm not all that invested in my own name, specifically. But "Filip" is who I am, and having someone else decide to refer to me by some entirely other name would be a major deal-breaker. I's honestly be offended.
    (not that I wouldn't allow people to call me by a different name. I'm entirely up for having a boyfriend who calls me by a special name. The fact that people occasionally call me Frederick at work is an in-joke in my workplace. But that arose organically, rather than anyone making the decision I should be someone else).

So if I can't respect who my partner is enough to refer to them like they prefer to be seen, I'd be hard-pressed to tell you why I'd be in a relationship with them in the first place.

17. maverick

I guess I'm a special case in that I don't really have to change my birth name to something more masculine - it's unisex already, so it works either way. No one would ever have to worry about introducing me as "the wrong name" or whatever.

Yeeeah, I think if I was going to be with a guy, I would bottom. I mean, I probably could top for someone if that's what they preferred, but hell, it'd be a new thing for me too. Would definitely take some getting used to.

I'd like to think that I'd be open for a grab bag of bedroom activities to make everybody happy though. I'm not very experienced but I'm very experimental in my limited experience, and I've racked up some variety points. Nobody leaves unsatisfied, in other words. :icon_wink

18. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    I personally would say I'm up for anything. If I fall for them, I would date them. Then again, stupid teenage hormones, but I if were to really like/love someone, it wouldn't matter. But I am rather attracted to gay guys (I sit next to one in band, he's one of my best friends!) as well as girls (gay or not). Being young, I have no interest in nor anything to say regarding some of the other discussed topics. :slight_smile:

19. Zeketra

Zeketra Guest

I like this thread, its cheered me up a bit x.x

I do plan to transition all the way, I really cant take everything anymore. Iv been depressed for so long and I know im not going to see anything getting any better if i dont go through with this.

Being trans has absolutely no redeeming qualities, the entire thing is a pit of misery and depression that sticks with you throughout your entire life. Maybe youl be happier when its all over, maybe everything will be better and you can forget about the crappy past and move on?...

Idk... o.x

Sorry for sounding so depressing! Im in a bit of a bleh... shouldnt be on EC mood :lol:

20. just b urself

i definetlly would.To me,love is just love.If you honeslty love someone you wont care about that.