Would You Date a Gun Owner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by andrew812, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Data

Data Guest

I'd prefer my boyfriend to be a gun owner. I actually wouldn't want to date someone who DISLIKES guns. Guns are one of my passions, and I absolutely don't think a home is complete without one.

If I was on a first date and the guy reacted poorly to my mention of my collection, he would not get a second date.

2. Siarad

This seems to be such a different issue in the USA as opposed to the UK... In the UK someone should only really have access to a gun if they are in a special branch of the police (and they wouldn't actually 'own' the gun, only have access to it through work). Other people who have guns would be farmers and those who have obtained guns illegally through crime activities... so anyone in the UK who was a gun owner would freak me out and I definitely wouldn't date them!

(Sorry to USA members who have a different view but I really can't understand the approval of guns or why some American people will fight harder for the gun rights than they will for the right to healthcare.)

3. Minx

I wouldn't mind dating a gun owner. As long as he doesn't mind my throwing knives. :eusa_eh:

4. June Cleaver

Hell yes! I have carried a gun since I was 20 years old for protection. I learned from a professional how to care, clean, and use it responsibly! Well it has never been an issue yet as I date country men who usually hunt like my current man. So he knows what he is doing with one and with him around I have no need to touch one unless it is to clean it for him after a hunt. June

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. My father has a hunting rifle, but it's an heirloom and we don't use it, so that sort of ownership is fine with me. I wouldn't date someone who found enjoyment in violence. In any case, in Australia, gun laws are very strict, and I would never go out with someone who enjoys a) blood sports, or b) has no legitimate reason to own a gun. Unless he's a soldier or in the police (in which case the guns wouldn't be his), no guns would ever be allowed.

Violence is not something I'm comfortable with, and owning guns is a manifestation of cultural violence.

6. method

I think you mean, the rest of the first world?

It's bizarre to me that this is even an issue up for debate. It's fascinating to follow the discussions happening on gun laws in the states, because it's very telling about their/your culture.

7. Split Arrows

A very emphatic YES!!! I agree with Data, I wouldn't date someone who's vehemently opposed to guns/gun ownership. Growing up, I was taught to always watch either first or second point, sit with my back to the wall and have clear egress. Both me and my sister were raised with the mentality that, "danger can come from any direction, at any time and you need to be ready and never be caught without at least one weapon on you at all times".

8. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not all gun owners are bad, that's like saying all homosexuals have AIDS. Yes I would date one.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. The attitude of "everyone's in permanent danger" seems to be unique to the US in the first world. Almost everyone in my city, and almost all of Australia is vehemently opposed to guns, yet in the US, it's taken as a given that you need guns to protect yourself from other people with guns (you'd think that they'd get the hint there and take the rest of the developed world's advice).

10. castle walls

I don't see a problem dating a gun owner

11. Oxelotl

Honestly Depends. WHile if they had the gun for protection, which I don't feel is necessary because people with guns are more or less the actual danger but ignore that part of the argument for now, but if they just had it there and never used is then I'm fine with that. If they are a shooting range 20+ gun owning NRA supporting type of person then yes I would have Major problems with that!

#31 Oxelotl, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  12. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    If only it were that simple; moving away from a place where you need a gun is not always the correct thing to do, if you live in the wilderness and hunt to survive then maybe it is the answer, but if you live in the middle east or the slums like Afghanistan or Detroit; simply "MOVING AWAY" is not going to work, if everyone in those areas adopted that mentality the troubled people will follow and all it would be doing is spreading the Athletes feet all around the body if you catch my drift.

As for dating a gun owner, I REALLY do not see the big issue behind this; unless their crazy right-wing numb skulls; I would say what is the big deal. The only reason I'd be disinterested in them if they owned a gun is because they are using it on me instead.

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2013 at 04:10 PM ----------

Yup, this quote right here.

#32 unknown17050, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  13. Miss Loopy

Heavens no. One thing I could not do. If someone feels they need to protect themselves with a gun, they're either guilty of something quite substantial or they're downright paranoid.

Then again, I am British. We are a little more amazing than you smelly Americans :wink:

(I love you all, don't hurt me :'()

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, why not?

Not dating someone because they own a gun is pretty stupid, IMO.

15. Miss Loopy

Feeling it necessary to carry a gun is pretty stupid, IMO.

:wink:

16. June Cleaver

I carry a gun to protect myself not from the fear of another gun, but some crazy person or group of them wanting to hurt or abduct me. For example in 1974 during the Zebra Killings a man was abducted by a group of men then tied up and cut into little pieces bit by bit alive until he died in the name of religion while being tortured for many days. They then wrapped his body up in white plastic shaped like a thanksgiving turkey for the police to find and he is still unidentified as there was only a torso with partial limbs left. Had he had a gun he could have at least killed a few if not got away and lived.

You will NEVER hear of the Zebra Killings as they are not politically correct to be taught in this countries education system. I happen to have lived in 1974 and still remember watching it on 60 min unfold as a kid. The same group terrorized Washington DC about 10 years ago with the gas station shootings, that I said at the time reminded me of the Zebra Killings which I caught a lot of sh_t for saying until the bad guys were caught and then I was vindicated as it was the same group and my friend apologized to me for calling me a bigot which I am not.

Also Ted Bundy abducted one of his victims less than 5 miles from where I live! I also carry 2 sets of keys to my car and that has literally saved my life once now where I would be dead now otherwise and that stems from watching B horror films in the late 70's and 80's where the victims never have car keys to get away or a gun to defend themselves. June

17. Nick07

this.

18. Destabilise

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It completely depends, really. If they are a member of the police force or military, then yes, I would. That would not bother me, to me that means that they work with guns on a daily basis, almost and they're trusted with them. If they're decor, then yes, wouldn't bother me, even though I don't find them as appealing decorations in the first place, but finally, if they felt that they wanted one 'just because', then I'd be a bit wary, especially if we broke up and I instigated it.

19. biggayguy

My thoughts exactly. One of my best friends is gay and has a gun collection.

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your entire case for guns there relies on a hypothetical situation. In Australia, since the introduction of strict gun controls, gun violence is minimal, and all violence went down. One attempted massacre occurred in 2002, but even stricter conditions were passed and no more have occurred. When guns are limited, it makes it a) harder for criminals to acquire guns, b) easier to identify guns and bullets, and c) makes crime generally harder. Restrictions on fire-arms do not put people in danger.