1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why hate religion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mental, Oct 11, 2016.

1. iiimee

What irks me the most about many religious people is that they assume I'm "angry" with god, when in reality I simply don't believe in a god, and I disrespect religious institutions for encouraging people from even a young, vulnerable age to believe in something with zero evidence. Many people on here would be upset if a woman taught her child that "vaccines are bad" from a young age and the child grew up to believe that without question, but nobody seems up in arms when a woman is teaching her child to believe in things people of a certain dogma say without evidence, and the child grows up to believe literally everything a book, religious leaders or its followers say without any questions. I think you have a right to believe in whatever you want, but I think it's silly to ignore the fact that no scientific evidence has been found for any deity, and teaching vulnerable people to believe in these things (especially when you threaten them with damnation if you don't) is a pretty sick and twisted way to gain followers. I think punishing a child for stating their skepticism or their differing religion is child abuse. Not every religion does this, but still, most of what I said applies to most religions, which is why I feel I'm totally justified to hate religion in general.

#41 iiimee, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In the Roman Empire, homosexuality was something as normal as a glass of water. Christianity came and destroyed everything. Although the religion per se isn't nefarious, as long as it can be used with malicious intent, it becomes a dangerous weapon.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Back when I was little (maybe around nine years old) I mentioned to some of my classmates that I was an atheist and they started yelling at me and saying that I was a bad person and I was gonna go to Hell. The teachers did nothing. Stuff like that has made me kinda mad about religion.

I dislike religion's purpose of giving people answers rather than making them ask questions. Children are naturally curious about the world and I do not like the idea of making them believe in whatever their parents do. If I have kids, and they ask me if God is real, I would tell them it's a matter of opinion, and we don't really know.

I can accept that religion exists, but when it's used against other people or forced upon them, then it just isn't fair.

So basically I see your point.