1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I struggle to say it out loud?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostInDaydreams, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck! It helped me a lot when I did it. Or at least it started me down a path of dealing with it in a more healthy way.

#21 Unsure77, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    LostInDaydreams likes this.
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's one of those things that sounds really silly and like it couldn't possibly ever help. Somehow it just does.

LostInDaydreams and Unsure77 like this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks all for your replies.

There’s part of me that feels ‘odd’ about discussing this with my therapist...I’m out to four friends and I’d like to think I could talk to them about it, or I could share it with somebody in a similar position - like if I met the type of people on here at a support group - or I could talk about it all to a potential girlfriend...it just feels really personal...do I have to be able to tell her? Can we just ‘skip’ it and I’ll work it out on my own?

4. smurf

If you want therapy to work, then you kinda have to. A lot of your problems are rooted in that shame so unless you work on it, then other problems become really hard to solve. Your therapist will try to help you, but since you aren't solving the main issue then some things just won't work.

You mentioned that you therapist might not have too much experience with lgbt people. Have you considered switching therapist in order to talk about this? Or maybe ask her what her experience with lgbt is? That might be helpful for you to be able to talk about this in the future more.

A lot of therapists do host support groups about this by the way. If you want to talk to peers going through this, google lgbt therapy groups and hopefully one shows up near you.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think it's odd talking about it with a therapist or do you think it's harder with her because she pressures you to think about the bits which are difficult?
    I think as the others have said the more open and honest you can be with her the better able she will be to give you the path and tools to help you deal with everything.

Peterpangirl and LostInDaydreams like this.
  6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you both for your replies...I think part of is that saying I want a girlfriend is essentially admitting that I want to have sex with a woman and that I find women sexually attractive...it feels too persona.

To be honest, if things were different, I wouldn’t be too keen on anyone thinking about me wanting sex with a man either, but I suppose people don’t think so much of that. I hated the idea of anybody thinking that I had a crush on a guy, so it might be more general.

I will try to mention all this to my therapist.

Unsure77 likes this.
  7. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To put it in perspective, when someone tells you they're dating someone or they're engaged or married, is "they must have sex" your first thought (short of knowing someone's on a honeymoon or has a recently announced pregnancy)? Or do you think "oh, they're married". I'm not sure most people focus on that unless their attention is specifically drawn to that for some reason. Maybe that's naive on my part. But, while I know academically the married people or people living with significant others are probably having sex, it's not something I b-line to or dwell on. It's just a fact of life.

Granted, it's easy for me to sit here and say since I haven't started dating yet. But, just taking a step back and thinking about it...

#27 Unsure77, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Luria77 and LostInDaydreams like this.
  8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense, I can totally understand why that would make it harder to say. It is as the above poster has said, probably not the first thing that jumps into the mind of the person you are telling. I do remember when I was figuring out my sexuality and first coming out though going through this like second puberty (or perhaps the first one which I didnt have). My hormones felt all over the place and it was how I remembered my friends being in college about boys so perhaps for the moment that is where your mind goes. I am sure it will settle down though.

LostInDaydreams, Really and Unsure77 like this.
  9. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha...thanks, @silverhalo. Might not run that idea past my therapist. :slight_smile:

10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha yeah maybe don't tell her everything haha...

11. swimman68

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This is exactly what I did and it changed everything. Once I allowed myself to acknowledge, my whole mindset shifted from hiding/denying/burying everything to trying to figure out a plan for the next step. Since it was then impossible to put it back in the box, I knew I had to move forward. I'm still struggling with those next steps, but I agree that if you can bring yourself to do this, it may make a big difference for you.

Contented and Unsure77 like this.
  12. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My therapist always says when you struggle to talk about something it will probably be worth talking about it :slight_smile: . It was difficult for me too, to say it out loud. It took courage but I'm definitely glad I said it. Talking about it with my therapist gave me and gives me more insight in my feelings.

13. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand this. I haven’t said it aloud to anyone (not even myself in the mirror). I’ve admitted to questioning but I won’t commit to being gay with my words. And I think there is something to your comment about not wanting to open it to outside opinions. For me, I feel like someone could so easily rip a gaping hole in my own uncertainty and then I’d go back completely to my heterosexual turtle shell. I can just imagine the eye rolls and the jokes about a midlife crisis coming my way.

So I can see that being part of why you can’t say it. It takes so much, I think, to admit and accept it for ourselves - it’s hard to imagine sharing our truth for others to scrutinize.

LostInDaydreams and Unsure77 like this.
  14. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do understand the reluctance to talk about something as intimate as sexual attraction. When I was seeing my first girlfriend I used to be totally comfortable with the sexual aspect of our relationship whilst we were actually with each other then I would return to my old life, appearing as a straight Mum and think "Did I really behave that way?" She apparently had the same thought but right up to the end she also said she felt guilty for wanting and enjoying sex, whereas I didn't, because I basically felt good and whole......the contrast in our outlooks made me very sad indeed. So each person has his or her own journey. However it took me over a year of being with her to become this accepting of myself and to integrate gay into my self-concept. I think it is sometimes more difficult for gay people to feel comfortable with sex because some people in society focus on the sex aspect of being gay and oversexualise gay people. Of course being gay IS about who you want to have sex with, but it is ALSO about who you want as the closest most significant adult to you, both emotionally and romantically...who you dream of sharing life's adventures with and planning a future with.

#34 Peterpangirl, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Drizzle, Lia444, jsm and 1 other person like this.
  15. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for all your replies...good to know we’re all going through similar experiences.

So to go back to my original post a bit...I had therapy today and my therapist didn’t mention the sexuality stuff at all. It was like last week never happened, which at times I have wished for, but still...last week we also talked about me being more assertive, so I she waiting for me to mention it? I suppose I could have done, to be honest. Or has she just forgotten?

She asked me a few times about how I was feeling in general, I said mostly fine and was generally positive...maybe she feels I’m not being honest. I’m not sure that I am being honest.

16. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi LostInDaydreams

17. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi SevnButton :slight_smile:

18. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @LostInDaydreams, I wrote a long post to you then I did something wrong and lost all of it except the "Hi lostinDaydreams" part. Then I ran out of time I'm sorry! But it's still good to hear from you

Hugs-
    =Sevn

19. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @LostInDaydreams -
    in that in that post that I accidentally wiped out yesterday what I wrote was that maybe you could find a safe space and try saying some things out loud and just see how it feels. If the words fit and if they feel true, you will know it -- you will feel it in your body. If they don't fit, it's always okay to say "no, that's not quite right", or even "no that's just not true". Maybe the safe space is with a trusted friend, maybe it's with your therapist, or maybe it's just by yourself. You can try the words out loud, much the same way you might try on clothes. You can keep just the ones you like.

jsm and LostInDaydreams like this.