1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why are the t with the glb?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by yaoicore, Jun 16, 2015.

1. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because we are one BIG family ^___^ we all love and accept each other
    im sure its easier to be accepted by someone LGB than someone straight unless they are open minded or don't mind or just supporting.

2. RainDreamer

Why not? I mean, even though gay, lesbian and bisexual are sexual orientation, when used in LGBT, it refer to the identity of the people involved, who are oppressed minority because of who they are. Transgender people are the same on that front. So when we fight together, we call ourselves LGBT. Although there has been a move to change that to something more inclusive.

3. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I feel like the group is just self righteous if I'm wrong then prove it

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 12:35 PM ----------

I've met gays and lesbians and bi sexual people that was not so open up with the idea of trans people

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 12:44 PM ----------

I thought who I want it to love was just sexual orientation my identity is what it say on paper work it's just like if I was to go to jail they would ask for info I'm I right? that is my identity the police not going to ask me if I'm gay or straight they will ask me this -name - gender -age - other crap cause it's what make me have a identity is that not right?

4. AlexTheGrey

I'd be curious what leads you to feel that the group is self righteous. Specific criticisms are easier to address and fix than vague ones.

Which is fair. There's always the option to "go stealth" for those who can pull it off. But there still needs to be visibility to help everyone in the trans umbrella. Unfortunately, society isn't going to get more accepting if we don't insist on it. So at least some of us need to stand up and be heard.

5. RainDreamer

I don't mean identity as the thing on a paper, I mean the identity as a person or a group. The LGBT stands for a group of people who has been marginalized for who they are - minorities that are not living the way some people tell them to. So they fight back as a group.

Also, LGBT people knows damn well what it is like to be judged for who they are, and is more or less educated about each other's problem than the average straight, cis person. It makes things easier to be friends and make communities with people who "gets it" somewhat.

That is why if someone is treating you badly because you are trans, especially if they are a part of the community, call them out on it, because we need to trust each other.

6. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

yea that sound a lot easy for the people that don't got nothing to lose. that all sound easy when your not afraid that is just the way I see it

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 01:41 PM ----------

no one that is cis can understand me

7. AlexTheGrey

Sometimes, it isn't what we have that defines us, but what we are willing to give up for those around us. I'd argue that quite a few people seeking visibility are afraid, and have plenty to lose. But it is important enough to do it anyways.

Can someone who is cis know exactly what your life experiences are like? No. Can they still be a valuable ally, show compassion, and at least understand your struggle? Yes.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good question... Specially since all are so different from each other, right? And what about a hetero transwoman? To call her 'gay' would be as insulting as calling a hetero transman a 'lesbian' : You are invalidating their genders, which is really the last thing they need.

This happens too often out there... And part of the reason is the idea of LGBT as a whole, which is confusing people. They can't understand it. For them it's hard enough to accept two men having sex.

Don't get me wrong, I dig having a strong community around... As long as we don't forget you can't really say just 'I'm LGBT'... No, dear, you are either a or b, one of those. And if you are trans, you can be gay, hetero or bisexual or even pan, but not all at once.
    (And I'm trying to keep things simple right now... 'Cause I don't want to mention genderfluids...)
    So okay... Let us be together, but be aware of the differences, and the fact that the 'community' was born out of neccesity : To support and protect each other. The only thing we've got in common is being called 'not normal'.
    Also is necesary to keep in mind that quite a few of us don't call themselves 'trans', but simply women or men. And gender is not the same as orientation. So you can tell me if one of us, after transitioning, decides for very personal reasons to go stealth... And surprise, the guy was hetero, so he wants to keep a low profile so to speak. What would that make him, a traitor to 'his community'? What if he never felt like he belonged there? It's just confusing to put together individuals with gender issues next to individuals with different sexual orientations.

Yeah, pehaps I think too much, I don't know...

#48 Michael, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2015
  9. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

trans people that like the same sex will always have a place in with lbg. other people like me won't remember I was born with female parts and that is what makes me a girl, I like man so I'm a straight woman. I have no place in the glb. oh yea as long as I have the so called trans card I'm a part of the crew? I'm just trying to better understand this more

#49 yaoicore, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  10. David21201

You may not want to be noticed but a lot of us want to be noticed/mentioned.

11. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

even if as long as I have the trans card I'm stuck in this group it the way I feel and I see it that way

12. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nobody can force you to belong anywhere, or even to call yourself any label, so you are not 'stuck' with anything, unless it's what you want.

I'm here 'cause the community is full of good, decent people, The questions I asked were just rethorical. What ifs, nothing more, nothing less. Some will laugh and them, others will start asking themselves questions...

If we all agree, there must be something wrong going on.

13. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

you remember when you said
    I never said that your miss understanding me I'm not trying to call people out for their sexuality this is about my identity nothing more see if any of you was listen to me you would know that

I know that people are not force in me to be a part of the lgb don't I have the right to speak my mind or is that wrong?

14. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You said you met some so you cant judge that most of them are like that,i still think that most of the LGB people would be at least a little more understandable than the hetros who really think wearing pink makes a guy gay! And that drag queens want to be a girl and run away from their true manly self and body and that trans people just need to be fixed to love how they were born,and that they just want to change what body they are born into and thats against nature
    Im sure Most gay parents dont have this pink blue girl boy policy infact they would let their kids express themselves and identify themselves however they want not caring who the hell they would turn out to be as long as they are happy and doing good in life,sure enough those parents wont mind a transexual child and would really take care of them and try to understand cause honey most if not all of us LGB know how hard its to be something unnaturel to the world outsiders,so the least we could do is do the same
    Im not saying that hetro parents are worst than us but i can say that most of them take time to understand something all their life they were told its wrong
    Though its really changing with today youth with the T being more visiable in big tv shows like glee we can see how some young parents from this gen turned out,like that mother who sent her son to girls scout,or the other one who let her son wear pink girls shoes to school.
    Also honey i cant fully understand how you feel but im trying to get educted for my future kids and have already raised a very lovely sister who can support anyone and try to understand them,im simply being one of the LGBT+ and im sure many people out their are doing even more than im doing now,stop trying to get out of the LGBT+ and make it only T+ cause you and i both know that the gays are the biggest help and love from cis people you can ever get,and some of us are helping with all that we can just because some of us are not as educted and as understanding doesnt mean it presents all of us. :slight_smile: and there will be jerks who are LGB but at the end they are few,dont let those jerks or some bad misunderstanding people change your mind about the whole LGB supporting,its just like saying that most gays just want sex,yes our parides are very sex baised but is it how everyone their really think ?,not really even i would love to have a woman dancing in short tight skirts with some hot men in shorts though i wont really give a damn about the guys they are just to decorate the festivel to me not to look at them or flirt with them ask them out or even get a turn on they are just some cool dancers.

15. thepandaboss

Well, it's because from the early days of LGBT rights, trans people and/or LGB people have always had to occupy the same spaces, we've fought together for equal rights, and so on.

Many trans people are also lesbian, gay, or bisexual. So by default, they would fit into LGB groups based on their sexual orientation. For example, I'm a bisexual FTM. I hang around gay male spaces and bisexual groups because those are the groups I identify with. And by default, that means that many of these groups are intimately involved with one another simply because of how many people are in both groups.

You've also got to consider the common issues that the transgender community and the LGB communities face together. We're all seen as an affront on the concept of gender in Western society by many people, we often face the same struggles for equal rights, and many of the same rights we're fighting for affect everyone in the LGBT community.

Let's take marriage equality. Marriage equality doesn't just benefit gay and lesbian people. It's also going to have some benefits for the trans community as well. This means that any trans person who wants to marry won't necessarily have to worry about the schematics of their legal gender. I'd be able to legally change my gender to male and still be able to marry my boyfriend. A straight trans person can marry their opposite-gender partner and not have to worry about living in a state that doesn't allow them to change their genders (for example, states like Louisiana or Ohio) on their birth certificates.

I feel the LGBT community needs to do a lot better about acknowledging everyone in the community but I still feel like we need to be considerate of the historical ties our communities have had. I know if you're straight and transgender, you may not necessarily have the same ties to the LGB community as someone like me who's bisexual and dating another man, but we're the LGBT community for a reason.

16. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

well you know what they say right? you should never keep a king waiting. oh I'm not allowed to judge I though I had a voice in the lgb so much for a voice. it does not matter what your status is your cis you will never understand me or my problems.

oh just like all my life I was told I could not be a boy this is what I was told my whole life ''god made you this way so you gotta act that way.''

people are saying ''with the lgb it's this way'' ''with the lgb it's that way'' I'm sick of it what happens when lgb don't have to fight no more then what will the t do then.?

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2015 at 12:30 AM ----------

no I'm not straight I'm in to man.

good point you put a smile right on my face.

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's fair for us to stay with the LGB community, since as a whole, we're fighting for similar reasons; to be recognized as anything but second class citizens, and to be treated with fairness and respect in the eyes of medical professionals, law enforcement, and society as a whole which still has laws around the world where it's acceptable and legal to imprison us for life or kill us. We're stronger in numbers rather than going at things alone or solo.

Either way, I'd still fall into the LGB community being queer as all hell.

18. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

it does not work that way for me

19. thepandaboss

If you identify as a male and you're attracted to only men, you're gay. :slight_smile:

20. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I'm not really comfortable with that title yet:icon_redf, and a part of me is saying that I don't deserve it:icon_sad:.