1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White gay men are unfairly appropriating straight black female culture?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Apr 13, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

I hate having to tell my fellow black people they are idiots, but this woman needs to get some perspective. We need to be worried about the police killing black people for no reason other than to satisfy their racially motivated bloodlust, ending whitewashing in all it's insidious forms, and making sure other black kids are fine just the way they are, and that their is nothing ugly or animalistic about our features.

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I've lived in Baltimore about 20 years, all of them in the city, and in areas that are about 50% black, and I've never heard of this being a big deal. ( as a gay white male, married to another gay white male) Maybe among certain people, but from my own dealings with friends, co-workers and just living in this area, I can't say it's even registered as an issue.

There's bigger problems here than worrying up stuff like this, trust me! We have things like poverty and crime and education and pollution to work on, so this would seem like a petty thing to a lot of people. I imagine it exists, certainly, but I've never sensed any animosity.

#42 HuskyPup, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  3. PressPlay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's only one response to this:

[​IMG]

4. the haunted

It's not about being black. It's about being sassy.

5. 741852963

i think you are being pedantic here. "Racism" is perfectly acceptable in that context, it is a noun. "It's racism." (the actual sentence I used) is fine and makes more sense in the context than "it is racist". I was referring to his mindset and ideology, whereas "it is racist" would refer more to the specific behaviours. Semantics aside he is being racist in his videos, intentionally or unintentionally. He is expressing quite grotesque and unfounded opinions about "the white man"/being prejudicial. Similarly, if I were to use "the black man is....", even followed by something positive I would have no problems with you calling that out as ignorance - because it would be. Generalising in that manner is problematic, especially when you do what Gazi is doing by generalizing about negative traits.

Back on topic. What I was trying to suggest with my earlier comment is that norms being shared or borrowed by other groups (be they positive or negative ones) can actually be very liberating as it frees us from the expectations or obligations to act a certain way purely based on our race/gender/sexuality etc.

For example. I as a gay man think it is great western heterosexual men in the 21st century are now generally more comfortable engaging in fashion and grooming (as evidenced by the booms in such industries), and in cases feel comfortable expressing "bromances" or traditionally percieved feminine traits. Why? Because in these things no longer being solely "gay things" it means it has relieved a lot of the pressure on people like me to live up to these stereotypical ideals, behaviours or traits. I'm more free to be my own person.

6. ZenMusic

Why don't we all confront the stereotypes instead of adapting them?

7. 741852963

I think adapting stereotypes is confronting them.

If you have a stereotype associated with one group, and then you look and see actually it is something shared amongst multiple groups then it forces you to see it for what it is: just a stereotype.