White gay men are unfairly appropriating straight black female culture?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RemakeJake, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Title of the thread should read: "Straight black females need to get a fucking life (with real problems)"

According to RemakeJake, they are the ones enforcing their own stereotypes by calling dibs on every aspect of said stereotype and whining others are "stealing it" every time they say "fierce."

This is the mother of all non-issues and we are all the worse for giving it even a second of rational thought. They won. Let's all take a second of our days to feel bad about that time we dignified idiocy with attention.

Let's do this again another day.

#21 Rawrzilla, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right you are. As for the "passing" part, some people just are who they are. Some "pass" and some don't. Some try very hard to "pass," which must suck, and some don't try ... they are just themselves, either leading to the "correct" conclusion or an "incorrect" one. This is the part of your post that stood out to me.

The other issue, about absorbing and "stealing" from another culture, is odd and people should just let that go.

3. Rainbows~Exist

Yassssss hunty yasssssssss - I just get the feeling that social media and the youth in general (But not all) focus on the small margin of people, from straight to gay and black to white and everything in-between, who have this attitude :/

Then again I am guilty of saying "yassss" but not in a serious way :lol:

4. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps the issue some have isn't white gay men using words such as "fierce". The issue might be the ones who do that and then, because of that, say they have a "sassy black woman" inside of them.

All I'm saying is, in that regard, I can see where someone might be coming from.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Anybody who would seriously fight over the rights to "twerk/twerking" are, in my opinion, fucking idiots.

White gays or black females.

6. kem

kem

Well said, bravo haha laughed my (s)ass off

7. Gen

Gen

As overly dramatic as language "appropriation" might be, it is not comparable to a claim that African Americans appropriate American culture when African Americans set foot on this soil and were active in their nation since its beginning. It is perfectly fine to highlight hypocrisy in the arguments of others; however, we should all be capable of doing so without making statements that are blatantly inaccurate, ignorant, and offensive.

8. Aquilo

I don't much of American culture, so I'm not really knowledgeable in this subject..

So does anyone here actually have an example of what they would think is distasteful cultural appropriation?

9. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    What if both sides stop saying those stupid words?

10. 741852963

A valid point, if anything they should be thanking these gay men for releasing them of the expectation that they will be sassy and bitchy.

11. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, those words are catty, bitchy and not very smart...

What if both sides just drop that obnoxious attitude altogether?

12. Gen

Gen

The example that I used about Native American dress clearly applies to Americans/Canadians, but cultural appropriation is not limited to those cultures. The same can be said about the ever popular tribal tattoos, bindis, hijab, etc. Cultural exchange is the process of introducing the aspects of one culture to another. Foods, music, etc. Cultural appropriation is the process of taking things that hold great cultural or religious value to a select group and robbing it of its significance. In the same way that the cross, kippot, etc, has cultural and religious significance in the west, cultures around the world have their own sets of symbols and ornamentation.

Hawaiians, for instance, offer tourists many liberties upon entering their society. Wearing a Hawaiian lei is not cultural appropriation because leis are not held in high regard; however, taking a picture of a tribal tattoo that the Hawaiian people reserve for chiefs or the members of their tribe because you want someone back home to mimic it and give you a "sick tat" is extremely disrespectful and shows a complete lack of respect for foreign culture.

13. lemons123

By the way, TENNYSON: for a fella aged 15 you seem extremely intelligent, even for an adult person. Pretty sure you're a kid prodigy...keep up the good work :slight_smile:.

Now:

Just like the rest I can't imagine a gay male (white) stealing black female's culture. I mean...how would that happen?? You will dress in traditional African clothing used in Kenya, despite the fact that you aren't Kenyan 0_0?

Here is btw something SLIGHTLY off-topic but just gravitating around the topic lol:

A black, straight English guy who in my opinion seems like a decent dude, talking on how to get Swedish girl...(my youtube links on here are obviously f*cked up for some reason...) BUT if you can see the video go to the youtube page and notice the huge amount of racist comments. It's really annoying and disgusting to encounter such comments, especially when the guy seems kinda cool:

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/tA8jECxvPYg[/YOUTUBE]

14. ZenMusic

Watch the part where he talks about what you just implied...
    [YOUTUBE]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uTe7nVL8mRA/[YOUTUBE]

15. Aquilo

Thanks!

16. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Guys, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but to embed a YouTube video, only use the video ID, i.e. the last part of the URL, not the whole URL! :slight_smile:

:smilewave Thank you haha (*hug*)

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who gives a shit?

18. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :eusa_clap Well said Gen

19. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This basically sums the thread up.

20. RemakeJake

Just to clarify, in case anyone is confused, I'm not saying that either side is in the right.