1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which one is correct? (english lesson)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in America, and most of my English teachers don't like that use of "get" either. I think that it is generally thought of as colloquial.

2. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are many ways to go about expressing this thought. There are many options and nuances.

Other members have already explained a lot. I'll pitch in with another perspective.

If you want it to sound casual, there are some specific things you could do. You could replace "had woken" with "woke", or even "had woke". Usually native speakers use "woken" as the past participle, but "woke" is also so common that it can't scientifically be considered a mistake.

These are more colloquial ways of saying basically the same thing. You can also write "would have" as "would've" to make it explicit that you're supposed to read it as a contraction, which adds casual points.

If I woke up earlier, my teacher would've let me in.
    If I had woke up earlier, my teacher would've let me in.

However, there are some things that members have posted that aren't true. The "in" here isn't even a preposition. It's actually part of a phrasal verb. Phrasal verbs are verbs that are linked to an adverbial particle that can work as a preposition in other contexts.

In disputes about grammatical correctness, most people just prescribe things based on hearsay and not evidence. Prescriptivist grammar is grammar as someone thinks it should be, not as it actually is. Descriptivist grammar is how a language works in reality. If you want a clear and pretty comprehensive book on descriptivist grammar, I'd suggest Longman Student Grammar of Spoken and Written English, by Douglas Biber, Susan Conrad, and Geoffrey Leech. It's riveting reading for me, because I just love languages, but non-linguists would need to learn some terminology first to experience its splendor.

Here's a real fun example of descriptivist grammar: 'I' and 'me' usually work as subjects and objects, but not always. Native English speakers frequently say things like "me and Jane went to the mall", and calling this grammatically incorrect is directly contrary to the data that proves with science that it's grammatically correct. There's no arguing with native speakers speaking their language. Calling this grammatically incorrect is like saying plants are wrong for being green. It makes no sense scientifically. If you have a book that says plants are wrong for being green, then you can say plants are wrong for being green according to that book, but that's just an opinion, not a fact.

And more on that 'I' as an object, it's an extremely common hypercorrection to replace "X and me" with "X and I" in all contexts. For example: "when you're done, call dad and I". Most native speakers would naturally say "dad and me" here, but our schools drill into our minds the weird and unscientific idea that you must always say "X and I" and never "X and me". It makes linguists sad. But it also makes us chuckle sometimes from the sheer ridiculousness of it.

3. Ryu

Ryu

The 'e' in 'english' in the thread title should be a capital 'E'.

And it's the latter of the two statements.

4. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. The exception would be in the phrase "Ill-gotten gains".

#24 Hats, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016