1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is it not enough anymore?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Thirdtimecharm, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had an interesting convo with my therapist the other day. She is a lesbian and I don't think she has ever been anything but---never had to deal with any confusion over sexuality. I mentioned to her that I feel that I need both....that I have had both---a relationship with a man (my husband) and at the same time I had an emotional relationship with a woman. It was pretty amazing. I was able to have my emotional needs met by the female and well my need for financial security and stability met by my husband. I told my therapist that when I don't have a woman in my life, a relationship with a woman, I feel very needy and really incomplete. my relationship with my husband is not enough, esp to fulfill my emotional needs which he really has never been able to do and I feel bad saying that but it's true. My therapist said that being bisexual is about being able to fall in love with either gender---which is true---but she added that it is not about having a relationship with one gender but still wanting a relationship with the other. I have never had a full relationship with a woman (emotional and physical) so I am not sure if I would feel the same, that I am missing something Bc I don't have a relationship with a man. I wonder sometimes if my using of the term "bi" is something I do Bc I am married to a man but have been in love with a woman. What if I truly am a lesbian and it, how I live, what I do to get by will never be enough for me because a man is not what I need.

2. TeaTree

Yess! This makes so much sense actually, I also sometimes think that there is EC and there is real life and there are the opposite of each other, but that can't be true.
    I mean, usually there are more bullies online than offline, so based on this there shouldn't be so difficult to find "offline people" who are supportive.
    And I'm sure I will find some soon, too :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 7th Oct 2015 at 01:35 AM ----------

I think labels are not helpful sometimes, a lot of times actually. They keep us more trapped than they are actually helpful. I'm starting to realize this more and more.

Labeling myself straight makes me feel like I'm a living dead, labeling myself lesbian makes me feel like I'm not meeting some kind of acceptance criteria for that, labeling myself bi makes me feel like I'm lying to myself.

When I really feel good, when I feel really myself is when I don't give a shit about labels.

Because where I am right now in my life doesn't fit into any of these labels. And it's possible that it won't ever fit and I will not even want to, because life is not static and labels are.

So i can imagine, that when you are with a man you feel the need to be with a woman too. And that you'd feel complete if there was also a woman in your life. If this doesn't fit to some prefabricated label category, well, what does this change?

Because feelings are feelings and all of them are ok. ( It took me around 30 years to learn that there is no such thing as not ok to feel something, so...)

I imagine it's not easy to deal with all this...But I know that when I'm really happy is when I don't try to constrain my feelings or my life into these labels and boxes.
    Sure, labels are good if you want others to know you on the surface, and sometimes are useful, but they are torture when it comes to life decisions and self-development.

Also I think a lot of anxiety is around the fact that we want to decide "right now" who we are. And yeah, I know I'm guilty of that too. But it just doesn't work like that and maybe it doesn't have to. Maybe, probably there is no deadline. When I'm really down I feel that is "now or never", I have to decide.
    But that's not true, we are always evolving and you are doing great job with getting to know yourself better so you are doing exactly what you should. And the decision will come when it's time for it to come(*hug*)

3. Distant Echo

I'm in a relationship with a male. We have kids together. The youngest is 12, and our 14yo is autistic. We split up almost ten years ago and got back together again just over a year ago.
    In the meantime, although I had relationships, not one of those people met the kids. I was a single mother for a long time.
    It was tough, and with some other stuff going on at the time, I thought I would never survive.
    I came out to my partner Early September this year, just before we went away for a couple of days to celebrate a year back together.
    Since we came back I have been questioning everything. Is this enough for me? Is a relationship that I have been in for only a year strong enough for me to not be who I think I need to be?
    He asked me about marriage again last night and I told him I had to sort out my head first.

I put my kids first every day the entire time I was single. They are amazing kids but I think they would cope if their dad and I didn't stay together. They have spent more time without him than with him. I believe that if we split up he and they could maintain a relationship now. He has grown up a lot since we first split.

Is what I have right now enough for me? I honestly don't know. Would I pursue a relationship with the woman I am very attracted to if the opportunity arose? Yes I believe I would. For someone who has always considered herself fiercely monogamous this is a revelation in itself.

I guess the difference for me is that I am in what is essentially a new relationship, that I've been out there on my own and survived. I don't have as much invested in this relationship as I thought I did. I hope that doesn't make me sound heartless or cruel. But the stress of trying to work all this out is getting to me.

The only thing that is clear to me is that I don't want to marry the man I am with.

4. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Teatree, I dislike labels too. I don't use them at all. I was just using the term to discuss the topic that I had discussed with my therapist. In fact for the past several years I was insistent on not using labels and I was someone who told myself that I loved the person. It made me feel better about how I felt about my best friend whom I fell in love with, who was a female. I convinced myself that there was something about her and that it was totally a one time deal. I think that is was just actually something I did to distract myself though. It was something my mom brought to me when I had the most difficult time and breakdown after she (my best friend) left me when I was 18. My mom saw how heartbroken I was and being the good Catholic family we are, my mom explained to me that I had probably loved a portion of her personality, her humor or her intellect and was connected to that part of her and when she left me it broke my heart a bit because I was not able to enjoy those qualities of hers anymore. Yup, I told myself that was it, that it could not be that I was in love with her because that would mean I was a lesbian and no way in hell am I a lesbian. The label itself is what scared me. Being put into that group, identifying with those type of women, the type who hated men and wanted to be men themselves (according to the archaic picture of gay women that was painted for me at a young age...). So now that I openly (to myself anyway) accept my attraction to women and accept my past connections for what they were I accept that I do love a person for who they are, irregardless of gender. However, as of late, I have found that what a woman has to offer me in terms of a connection, is so much more appealing and satisfying to me than any other connection I have had with a man. So I would say that I love whom I love but do have a preference for women. Hopefully that makes sense....labels not included :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 6th Oct 2015 at 08:30 PM ----------

I totally understand where you are at inamirrodarkly. I am not in the same place as you are currently, but can totally identify with your first paragraph above. I feel as the days go by that what i have right now is not enough for me. And I feel terrible for thinking and feeling that way. They always say that one cannot control their feelings or how they feel, but they can control the behaviors associated with the feelings. I haven't really acted on any of my feelings, my questioning, my curiosity, but I want to and since I have allowed myself to put my questioning of my sexuality into the universe its so real to me and I have to deal with it, there is no pushing them aside or stuffing them back in the closet. But I am married. With kids. A home. A hetero monogamous life. Where does the later in the life gal approaching 40 go to deal with her newly accepted sexual revelations? Sometimes I feel like one of those suburban moms that they find out are operating a webcam in her home late at night behind closed doors providing a service for lonely men's viewing pleasure...lol :eusa_naug Its this "secret" that I feel I carry that begs of attention and pleads for action...but at the moment I feel anything I would do to satisfy my needs would be inappropriate, selfish and just plain wrong. Complications of realizing you are not straight mid-life. Ugh.

5. CapColors

Sigh. Yeah.

Tonight is one of those nights where I'm just like WHY CAN'T I HAVE A HUSBAND AND A GIRLFRIEND? I LOVE THEM BOTH SO MUCH. I'd be SO GOOD TO BOTH OF THEM. It would only make their lives BETTER I SWEAR. I would be SO LOVING.

It kind of kills me to love two people at once and not be able to just treat them both as well as I'd want to.

Who knew I was a bi poly nurturer at heart? I thought I was a career-driven monogamous straight woman. Silly me.

6. latenlife lez

It is always so interesting to read someone's story and find it strikes a cord of being similar in my story.

I am a lesbian- I am no longer questioning that-Or I should say I have not questioned that since June- it is who I am.

My husband was fine with me trying "it" out- that is physical intimacy with a woman- my sister warned me it is not just hooking up--at least for me- because I am someone who seeks an emotional connection as well- she warned me about either person falling in love

I have fallen in Love- and so has the woman I am with- It caught all of by surprise- my husband worse of all. I am still tyring to answer so many questions- how we will be a family- can my lover live with us - as she has- how will this affect my kids- but the question I had to answer first was could I stay married to him

No- I cannot not- and this answer led to many other questions.

I am glad I had the room to explore- and I know that not every marriage can withstand that- the exploring nailed the last nail in the board- as I sunk into a warm body that sighs with joy with every touch I give and I wondered why it took so long to figure out who I was

Keep trying to find yourself- it is journey- and no matter what someone will be hurt- but that is for them to fix- you only have work on your hurts

7. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to say that I feel that more often than not. I don't have the same relationship with my husband as you do, so my mind wanders a lot and I am trying figure out if I want it stay in my marriage above and apart from my questioning of my sexuality....but the more I do that the more I realize that one has a lot to do with with other. Maybe we fight so much Bc I am not present here in the relationship Bc I cannot be, because I cannot have that emotional connection with a man Bc maybe I am a lesbian. I have no idea. I don't want to hurt anyone, I don't want to hurt my heart either. I have lived a deprived life for so long, that's all I know...I am kinda good at it....

Here's to wishing :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 7th Oct 2015 at 11:05 AM ----------

QUOTE=latenlife lez;2816176]It is always so interesting to read someone's story and find it strikes a cord of being similar in my story.

I am a lesbian- I am no longer questioning that-Or I should say I have not questioned that since June- it is who I am.

My husband was fine with me trying "it" out- that is physical intimacy with a woman- my sister warned me it is not just hooking up--at least for me- because I am someone who seeks an emotional connection as well- she warned me about either person falling in love

I have fallen in Love- and so has the woman I am with- It caught all of by surprise- my husband worse of all. I am still tyring to answer so many questions- how we will be a family- can my lover live with us - as she has- how will this affect my kids- but the question I had to answer first was could I stay married to him

No- I cannot not- and this answer led to many other questions.

I am glad I had the room to explore- and I know that not every marriage can withstand that- the exploring nailed the last nail in the board- as I sunk into a warm body that sighs with joy with every touch I give and I wondered why it took so long to figure out who I was

Keep trying to find yourself- it is journey- and no matter what someone will be hurt- but that is for them to fix- you only have work on your hurts[/QUOTE]

"as I sunk into a warm body that sighs with joy with every touch I give and I wondered why it took so long to figure out who I was"

I love this, I love that image, the feeings that this pulls from me. Sadly I am not sure I have ever felt that before. I want to feel that...

Things sounds so complicated for you late, but it sounds like you're making your way and going after what you want and being true to your heart. Definitely gives me hope that maybe one day I can be strong and make the same decisions for myself. I have always made decisions based on everyone's else's needs. I no longer know what I really need and want. It's I there, just been put high up on that damn shelf in the cold dark closet :wink:

#67 Thirdtimecharm, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  8. latenlife lez

3rd watchman-

Your response to my comment -made me smile- in a weird ironic way

I too have put others needs before mine- and when I hit the brick wall of what do I want- I also had no clue- and that began the journey to figuring out who I am as a sexual being

I will tell you yes things are complicated in my life- but I don't think there has been a time when it has not- and last but not least

thinking of yourself first- is a hard habit to start - when you have lived for others for so long-- I still have to be careful because my first response to others is them first and me second- It is part of who I am and sometimes like to be

start little and it will get easier!

9. bi2me

CapColors, I feel you! 18 months ago, I thought I was totally straight and never a non monogamous thought (at least that was my conscious perspective).

10. SnowshoeGeek

I told my... male friend?... the last vestige of a perhaps boyfriend, whatever, a guy I see a couple of times a month... that I was really contemplating my sexual preference, that I needed things to be simple right now so I could figure things out. And he had encouraged me to do this, which is great, but I still don't even want to talk to him, not to any man (except gay men!), I don't want any of that ... I'm supposed to say/think blah because there is a man with me stuff. I don't even know how to be who I am, if there is a man in sight, I am so trained to be part of a hetero couple. I want OUT of it all, I want nothing, I want me and my job and my friends and my dog and my own thoughts and NO distractions. Fantasies and wondering are not enough anymore. I want to KNOW.

11. CapColors

Crazy, right. I mean poly is probably still too extreme a label to place on myself, but I'm certainly feeling more...flexible.

#71 CapColors, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  12. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Love 3rd watchman that should have totally been my name!

It's so good to know that there are others who have waded through these waters before me and who have the used their strength to keep pushing through. Gives me hope. I try and take it day by day and moment by moment actually. I have started working to take care of myself, practicing mindfulness and it has helped. I believe everything happens for a reason :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 7th Oct 2015 at 07:33 PM ----------

I am so on this path.....

13. Distant Echo

I broached the idea of me going away on my own for a few days earlier. He wasn't against it, but he was a bit taken aback. I think it is something I am going to have to do though. The biggest problem though is that I don't want to go away on my own, I just don't want to go away with him. I want...argh...to go away with a straight married woman....and that's not gonna happen :cry:

14. SnowshoeGeek

Why not?

15. Distant Echo

Because she's married and straight. I'm working on developing a solid friendship with her, as I can't bear the thought of not being at least her friend. But going away with her would be just too hard. I could destroy what I think will be a great friendship. We have common interests, and chat easily. I just have to behave myself around her lol

16. SnowshoeGeek

Is it that you are totally hot for/in love with her, or just the burgeoning sexual energy of liking women in general? Would it help if you came out to her, or if you came out to her would it involve a confession of attraction to her?

17. Distant Echo

I don't react to her the way I keep finding myself reacting other women. It scares me a little bit. Because I know me, and I think I'm falling in love with her. she's the first thing I think of in the morning. I wake up missing her. I go somewhere and think how much more fun it would be with her. My whole week is planned around when I can see her again. And a quick chat with her in the shop where she works keeps me on a high all day. I have her phone number and I have to stop myself texting her messages I'm not ready for yet.
    I can see myself coming out to her, and I think it will be a sudden thing, unplanned, like it was with my partner. And I know damn well going away with her is a really bad idea right now.
    And yes, for me coming out will probably include me telling her how I feel...

And reading that, I sound like a damn teenager lol.

#77 Distant Echo, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  18. CapColors

HUGS, darling! And thanks for your compassionate reply. I missed it earlier, sorry.

I'm TERRIBLE at living a deprived life. I am GOOD at getting what I want. (Like, in a nice way! Usually what I want is friends and a job and stuff!)

But now, I finally WANT TOO MUCH.

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2015 at 10:42 AM ----------

OH HONEY I FEEL YOU. You sound exactly like me. This is exactly how I feel, although I have already admitted that I'm in love with her. I wish I knew when I was falling. I don't know if I could have stopped it, though.