1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When/How to come out in new friendship? Should she be the first I tell?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Blue90, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Blue90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey!

For context: I’m a 27 year old gay girl. I’ve know I’m gay for years but it’s taken my a long time to work through things and get my head around it. Consequently I’m not out to anyone yet. I have letters written to give to my family but I’m yet to find the courage to tell them. I haven’t got many good friends, I’ve either pushed them all away by never being open enough with them or they’ve drifted due to distance. I’ve never had a relationship with anyone either. I am desperate to come out soon and I’m trying to figure out my first steps. I’m terrified though!

About a year ago I met a friend at work. We work very closely together managing a team of people. She’s a bit older than me (40) but we just click and we’re very similar in many ways. Over the last couple of months we’ve got a lot closer. Opening up to each other about various things, texting all the time, banter and chatting about random rubbish, she buys me very thoughtful gifts, meeting up outside work despite spending all week together. Etc.

I’m not saying I’ve got feelings for her, I haven’t (thankfully - I’ve been there before with friends!) But I’ve got the feeling this friendship is something good. It feels really close and getting closer.

But she doesn’t know I’m gay. We’ve never discussed my relationships/dating/sexuality. I don’t actually know what I’d say if she brought it up with me. I don’t want her feel that I’ve lied to her and feel that I couldn’t open up to her. But neither do I want to freak her out by telling her I’m gay and making her think about everything she’s said and done and how it could be misinterpreted... I don’t want it to change how she is with me just because I’m gay.

I don’t know what to do. The longer I leave it the more guilty I feel about the eventual feelings it’s gonna cause one way or the other.

One option is to come out to my parents then go to her for support when it inevitably goes wrong like last time I attempted it..

I feel like I really trust her and she really cares but I’m not convinced she’d understand or be ok with it. So I’m not sure making her the first I tell is the best idea!?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated?!

2. Melkay88

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi there! Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I just turned 30 and, despite knowing I was gay for a long time, I’ve finally accepted it and stopped with the denial. I also have few close friends, but have been working on that recently. I have a friend who I met through work and she and I are very similar in a lot of ways. I met her about 2 or 3 months ago and we instantly hit it off. Like you, I don’t have feelings for my friend, but I instantly felt like I could trust her. One day we took a lunch break together and I just had to tell someone. At this point I had told no one I was gay and I just needed to say it out loud to another human. So, sitting in my car waiting for time to go back to work, I came out to her. She was very supportive and accepting and now it feels so good to have someone who knows. It hasn’t made the relationship weird at all. She’s also the only person (other than my therapist) that I’ve told. I’m working up the courage to start telling others but it’s hard. I’ve also never been in a relationship and I’m terrified of pursuing a relationship at this point.

Love4Ever likes this.
  3. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you know the situation regarding her & relationships. Has she spoken to you about her feelings? I know how you feel but I’ve got this nagging feeling that that you might be reading a little too much into this.

You also mention about coming out to your parents and it going wrong last time. I’m not sure what you mean by this. Certainly coming out to your parents is a good idea but it’s a big step. I think if I were in your shoes I’d find a local LGBT support group. Most towns will have at least one these days. Meet up with them then the chances are you’ll find people who have been a very similar situation to yourself. Hopefully this should make your feelings clearer to yourself then you will be in a better position to decide on your next step. Good luck.

4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not to hijack the op's thread, but just wanted to say congrats on coming out. That took a lot of courage I'm sure.

Broccoli likes this.
  5. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As for the op, I think you should tell her if you feel comfortable. I don't think she will view your friendship differently just because you're gay. Has she made comments before on how she feels about gay rights etc? What are her attitudes towards that? If all is positive I would just tell her in a casual way so that it doesn't have to be a big deal. You don't have to make it a big announcement if you're uncomfortable.

6. Blue90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey! I’m glad someone out there is in a similar situation! But obviously sympathise with how hard it is .
    I’d really like to just tell her in a normal conversation like you did but I’m really not sure how it’d go! It think I could do it if she was just a friend I work with her for 40-50 hours a week too so it had the potential to be super awkward if it goes anything other that well!
    I thought I might write a short letter to her explaining I’m gay and that I don’t fancy her but that feels awkward too. Like I shouldn’t have to say it but maybe it’ll need saying!? Ah I don’t know it’s so hard

Maybe a conversation then let her read my letter I’ve written to my parents (that’s 5 pages long though so maybe it’d be TMI!?)

7. Blue90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks. Yeh I want her to know! We’re getting closer and closer every week.

She does things like sending me quotes about friendships and gifs of hugs etc. We text til like midnight some nights. She’s always buying my really thoughtful presents and a lot of them have some relation to rainbows!? She knows I like rainbow things but it feels a little weird too!?

I don’t want it to be a big deal when I tell her but at the same time I want to make sure I explain everything. Including how I don’t fancy her!?

So whether I just tell her I’m person then let her read my 5 letter I’ve written to my mum and dad!? I don’t know its so confusing!

Love4Ever likes this.
  8. Blue90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeh she’s been married to a man much older than her, he’s 58, she’s 40. And she was saying yesterday at work how she struggles to see herself with him for a lot longer!?

I don’t want anything from her as far as romance goes. But I don’t want to ruin the friendship either by carrying on lying to her (or more like not mentioning the truth!) or by telling her the truth and her not being ok with it!?

It’s so complicated isn’t it!

Love4Ever likes this.
  9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not sure how you will feel about this, but have you considered the idea she KNOWS you are gay and maybe SHE likes YOU? Do you know for sure she is straight? Because the spending a lot of time with you, giving you really nice gifts, giving you things with rainbows on them, is I agree, very weird. That is, if she is in fact, a straight girl. Which I am starting to doubt more and more.

10. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is a big flag for me. BIG. She openly tells you, a woman, who is her close friend, who she probably already suspects is not straight that she doesn't see herself with this guy much longer?! I think you may have to consider the idea that she is actually after you.

11. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think in your concern to not lead her on or make her think you want anything from her, you might be missing she has already been making moves on you.

12. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The question is, you say you aren't interested? What will be your response if it turns out she does like you?

13. Blue90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haha yeh obviously I’ve played that scenario through in my head! Many times! And I’m trying not to think about the reality of it if I’m honest. I’m trying to rationalise it. Like she loves buying presents and buys presents for various people! Maybe as a fairly new friend I’m just someone new to but them for. The rainbows? I don’t know if she gets the symbolism or not! Maybe she just thinks I like colourful things, who knows!? Or maybe she is straight and does get the symbolism and is trying to let me know it’s ok I.e. she thinks rainbows are cool... and she’ll be cool with me being gay.. I don’t know! Some of the things are really thoughtful though like to do with mindfulness and anxiety to help me feel better! She knows I struggle with it but doesn’t know the reason.. it’s all to do with being stuck in the closet as I’m sure many people find!

Yeh but she said it infront of another woman we work with too who she’s been friends with for years. It was like a moaning about husbands conversation. Which I always find super awkward no matter who they’re with! Because I dread the inevitable relationship questions coming at me! She’s been married for over 10 years. But maybe the 18 year age difference is showing now. She says she bored and doesn’t know if she can see her future with him in the long term!? God knows if that has anything to do with me! I don’t think so but she certainly seems to want to spend time with me and text me all night! Which I’m liking, can’t say I don’t! And the banter is great

Hmm I don’t know! It would make things super awkward at work if any romantic feelings were involved! It just couldn’t work and us both stay doing what we are at work.
    I’m kinda super flattered at the idea if I’m honest. I mean I’ve never had a girlfriend but I suppose I hoped when it happened it wouldn’t be complicated! Which this would be!
    Let’s hope it’s just her personality and she’s a really over enthusiastic lovable friend. And she’ll love me despite my gayness and thatll be it. Would I go there if she wanted it... probably out of curiosity! I do fancy her a bit but I wouldn’t want a relationship out of it!
    Why does it have to be so confusing

Love4Ever likes this.
  14. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's totally cool to be confused. I find myself feeling confused a lot of the time. Believe me. You do you. I just wanted to make sure the idea had crossed your mind. Because I could see it going that way.

15. Blue90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It’s weird you say that. “You do you”. That’s the one thing that is happening right now. This girl is allowing me to be me for the first time ever really with a friend. We just click so well and she makes me feel so comfortable to open up all the quirky weird sides of my character! And not just be who I think everyone wants to see! And she text me til gone midnight tonight! Is she doing that lying next to her husband!? Probably I don’t know!?

But yes thanks, the idea had definitely crossed my mind but having been in straight girl crush situations before I didn’t want to get hurt by that again. Maybe when I elaborated in the replies above it sounds less likely does it? I don’t know? Time will tell I guess!

We’re spending Sunday together too after having been together all week at work! Maybe the time will be right to tell her I’m gay? Does it sound like it’s best to just do it in a conversation rather than write it in some form of letter or message?

Love4Ever likes this.
  16. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I would just bring it up to her naturally. I would just mention something about being gay, a movie or a book, or some recent event, and just drop in somewhere that you're gay. Based on how she seems to be around you, I doubt she would either have a problem with it or even be that surprised. :slight_smile:

17. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's great you can be yourself around her. That's very valuable. Though texting you till midnight and chatting with you all the time makes me still suspect something more is going on.

18. Blue90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is very valuable you’re right!

I don’t know maybe there is, she’s confusing! It does say on her Facebook profile interested in men and women, but I’ve always though she must’ve misunderstood the question to put it on there you’d think it’d be public knowledge but she never talks like she identifies with the lgbt community and some of the things she says about lgbt issues can come across as though there’s a lack of understanding! So I’ve always assumed she’s straight!
    There’s a bit of jealousy creeping in from her other long time friend at work at how close she’s getting to me, she told me that herself!
    But other people don’t see the half of it of how we talk/banter compared to the texts and when we’re on our own. She tones it back a bit when we’re around others and so do I subconsciously I guess!
    The phrase she’s used in the past when talking about how she thinks of me as a friend is “I think a lot of you”... whatever that means!
    I still think she’s straight (and hope she is for less complication) maybe she’s just one of those full on loving people! Who knows! Time will tell!

Love4Ever likes this.
  19. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know. I always felt the Facebook thing was really straightforward. When I thought I was straight I would have known anyone who put that was probably bisexual. So it's possible she did understand and put it on purpose.

20. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It really sounds like she is flirting with you with the banter and the admitting that other people have picked up on how close she is to you. I think that's very telling. If it was just you noticing all the attention you get from her that would be one thing, but this other woman has perceived it too.