1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you first hear that being gay is a "sin?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Apr 28, 2015.

1. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    No one ever taught me that it was, but I remember finding out people believed that when I was in Sunday school.

2. CyclingFan

Feels like my whole life. I'm sure early elementary school at the latest for when it was explicitly formulated like that.

Even before my mother found my skipping around saying "I'm a fairy" and I learned that was a terrible, horrible thing to do. Lol

3. lukeluvznicki13

4. Aster

I don't come from a religious or homophobic family so I was never taught that it was a "sin". I probably just learned from the internet

5. trichobezoar

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a good one, MotelGuy. lol I'm going to use that from now on.

I first heard that homosexuality was a sin when I was 13. I was very tomboyish and a member of the FDA (Future Dykes of America) when I began studying with the Jehovah's Witnesses. After being thoroughly brainwashed, I turned to Fundamentalist Christianity. I learned even more about how sinful it was... I realize looking back that I was searching for authenticity--my true self--all the time I was reading the Bible.

I believe it's possible to be Christian, gay/bisexual and happy, but a Fundamentalist, gay/bisexual and happy? *shaking head* That's difficult, in my opinion.

#25 trichobezoar, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  6. I'm_Danni_x

I found out it was a sin when I was 11/12 (I also knew I liked girls), when my mum told me that it was against Islam, and I could pray it away because the devil was whispering in my ear. I hated myself because I couldn't become straight. But hey, who Wants to be straight? That's boring!

7. mindthegap

I could have heard it somtetimes in early years in primary school when nun was teaching us about religion but even if she said it, I did not know who gay is. My country is so religious that I didn't really know about homosexuality until my late teens.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right on :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

9. pde

pde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think around age 8-10. I knew that people believed it was sin, but I think I also knew it wasn't something most catholics or christians agreed on.

In my catholic high school, they taught us that the catholic church's official stance on homosexuality was that being homosexual isn't a sin, but that committing homosexual acts is.

10. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    About four years ago, on the internet. I think Christianity's more of a big thing in America etc.
    I know a couple of Christian people, literally the nicest people I've ever met, and when gay marriage was legalised I lost a lot of respect for them. They kept posting on Facebook about how being gay is sinful and disgusting and they couldn't believe the government had legalised gay marriage.
    Then there's the people who say things like 'keep Britain Christian', which basically translates to 'throw out anyone who isn't white because we are using our religion to glorify racism' :slight_smile:

Overall, though, most of the Christian people I know and have met have been perfectly kind and accepting ^_^

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Actually it might of been in prayers for bobby... my Parents never pushed religion on me so it never was a big factor in my life.

12. the haunted

I don't remember when, but I think I read it off the internet. Nobody I know thinks it's a sin, so...

13. NamesNotJake

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even though I was raised Catholic, I never heard the "gay is a sin" line until high school.

14. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Around the same time I decided to through the bible in the trash bin.

Happy days :slight_smile:

15. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    uhh...I never was actually?..I didn't hear people call it a sin till something about it popped up on the news when I was 15.
    Have a family that is accepting of all sexual orientations, and even spent a lot of time at my older gay cousin and partner's house a small kid.

16. Formality

Well I grew up in Sweden, like the second most secularized country in the world, and I've never been religious nor has my family so I never heard it as a child, not that I'd care since I don't believe in any of these fairytales anyways. I first heard of it when I came out to myself (around 16) and started reading up on the subject online and quickly realized the psycho republicans in America are usually the ones preaching this stupid homophobic shit.

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure, but I am guessing maybe in my 20s. Gee, I guess I get some sort of Late To Know Award. :lol:

But I did not spend any time in a church that worried constantly about sin. I didn't spend much time with people associated with such churches.

I think I first came into contact with the conservative viewpoint when I was in my low 20s, and read some American Family Association material. Although I don't recall any "sin" talk. They obviously didn't like gays, but IIRC it was all talk about "family values." Actually, IIRC they seemed more worried about what was on TV back then, and most of the mailing was whining about all the depravity on modern TV.

Most of what I heard anti-LGBT back then sidestepped religion, and talked about what was "natural." I heard some of this in my family.

I must have had a sense of the "sin" line in 2001. About that time, I started writing a novel, which has since joined my fine collection of uncompleted novels. :tears: For some reason, one of the characters was gay, and talk about the sin view did creep in as an issue he was facing with his family.

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2015 at 02:46 PM ----------

One other thought... This is only speculation, since I don't remember enough about LGBT issues in years gone by to say for sure. But I think one issue that may be a factor now is that that LGBT people are increasingly being accepted, and that may be bringing out the fundamentalists, who are frothing. Years ago, they had little reason to scream about LGBT people, since society as a whole was anti-LGBT then.

18. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually dont think Ive heard it be called a sin actually. Unnatural sure, but not a sin.

The first thing I heard about it is that it gross/nasty in about grade 7 from the other guys.

19. Jellal

Plenty of kids I knew mocked being gay or even being feminine, but I never heard it called a sin until my uncle said it. I think I was 10 at the time.

20. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I heard it when I was a little kid, but I just ignored it. I heard it again in my early 20s.