1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the worst injury you ever sustained?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by One Man Army, Oct 25, 2014.

1. ChickenLady

I've gotten a concussion twice. Once from falling of a horse two or so years ago, and once from falling down a hill as a toddler. I also got pecked in the eye by a chicken a few days before grade seven started. The hole was apparently the size of a pencil eraser. The docter was surprised when I was all healed before school started! I also once had a large tree branch fall very close to the horse I was riding's head.

2. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I wouldn't call it an injury? But I had malenoma and I was lucky enough to catch it in time. Although I have also sprained my ankle, other than that not much.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just for like the sheer shock value of it. I was swimming, when suddenly my toe got caught on something on the bottom of the pool and half of my big toenail was bent straight up... I'm not joking. They ended up having to give me a tetanus shot, painkillers (for precautionary reasons), and cut off the top half-two thirds of the nail.

4. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been extremely lucky because I've never suffered a serious injury. I have no scars. I've never even broken a bone that belonged to me. My bullies were too smart to permanently injure me. Getting ran over by a horse hurt worse.

With that said, I've suffered plenty minor injuries and some of them seem impossible. The time I tripped over my own feet and a radiator dug into the back of my heel was a classic. My personal fave is the time I fell off my bicycle and cut my thumb on a coke can. It looked much worse than it really was. The worst I've suffered this year was a concussion from one of my many 'bright' ideas.

5. Hexagon

I fractured my ankle when I was around ten. I was on a rope pyramid on a beach at the top, and someone pushed me off. I sustained quite a serious burn on my hand, and I still have the scar. Oh, and someone cut into my chest with a scalpel. But I was asleep for that.

I haven't been close to death, and my past injuries are rather unimpressive. I think I need to take more risks.

6. Yosia

injuries i have sustained: I have broken my leg, i hit it against the metal part of a trampoline, i have broken the same finger three times, very badly twisted my ankle, couldnt walk on it for about 4 days, and a caught my leg on a very sharp rock on the beach and i atill have a mild scar.

I have only been close to death once, when i was swimming i swam into the wall not knowing it was there and it made me quite dizzy and i fell underwater and started to drown, a total stranger about 3 years older than me saved me and i still speak to him online. ^.^

7. black-cat

Does my body attacking itself for the last 6 years count? : P

Well, if it does, it was when my two floating ribs were caught on TOP of my other ribs, and 4 others were dipping in and out when I moved- basically dislocated my ribs. Oh the pain.

If it doesn't, splitting my lip open, full thickness when I was 2 after climbing a bookcase and falling. I still have the scar.

8. nailbug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    when i was 11 i was riding my bike and the brakes didn't work. so i saw a car coming and i had to stop by dragging my feet on the ground. unfortunately, i was wearing sandals and i scraped the tip of my right big toe on the pavement and a huge chunk of skin came off. i also went to the beach that day and kept getting sand in the wound.

9. Mickz

I fell and hit the edge of a chair and then table with my neck and then mouth, got stiches outside and inside mouth and on neck, happened when I was 7 I think? And I blocked the memory from my mind, can't even remember where I fell from, I just remember being in and out of consciousness in a car, then hospital, surgery and then an ambulance on my way to another hospital, and then I was out for 3 days before I woke again. Horrible experience. And I was as close to death as can be (Luckily the next door neighbour was a army paramedic) Scared the crap out of my parents though :lol:

Close second would be my unfortunate experience with a mistaken for water glass of formaldehyde, my throat will never be the same. (Again close to death experience)

#29 Mickz, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once tore the skin off my knee, and I've also had a concussion. There's only a tiny, unnoticeable scar on my knee, surprisingly.

So not all that bad.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, nothing terrible. Suppose it's a tie between getting a glass shard stuck through my foot and a biking accident that required some 50 stitches or so.

13. One Man Army

Some of these injuries sound really bad, some of them not so much.

Hexagon, I'm guessing it wasn't a doctor who cut into your chest with a scalpel. In which case, that's very disturbing indeed!

Now as the OP I feel I should give my answer, but it's not very exciting. I once broke my toe while playing sport. I collided with another guy who then fell over bum first and put his entire body weight on my foot. It wasn't even remotely sexy and my toe bruised up like an overcooked muffin.

It wasn't until a week later did I go to hospital for an X-ray. It was broken, and looking back, the horrible pain and inability to move my toe was a big clue. But 5 weeks later it healed, so as I said, it was nothing serious.

Still waiting for your serious answer, Franklin Gothic Medium!!

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I've had two broken bones; a broken wrist from when I fell off a swingset, and a broken foot when I tripped and fell down the stairs. Compared to other injuries, I was lucky; nothing close to death and nothing involving blood.

15. changetheworld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The worst injury I've had was when I broke both of the bones in my arm and needed screws to hold one together. It shouldn't have caused any further damaged once it healed but a couple of years later I had a really painful bump on just below the skin where the screw would have been. At first the doctors thought that the screw had lifted up and was nearly poking out of my arm but it turned out my bone was growing around the screw. Now my arm is really scarred from all of the surgery and I lose feeling in some of my fingers whenever I get cold.

The closest I've come to death was last year when I collapsed during a fun run when it started raining and hailing and my body temperature dropped 3.5 degrees Celsius.

16. Tiger1270

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I fell into a small pile of gravel when I was 8. My knees got cut up really badly and my cuts actually healed while there was still gravel in them. So I might still have pieces of rock in my legs as I type this hahaha.

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2014 at 01:18 AM ----------

I realize that is not nearly as worse as most of you all so I'm lucky to not have experienced such intense pain!

17. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    About seven years ago, when my ex and I were in the process of breaking up, she once threw an object at me, and it cracked a rib. Now that would have healed ok, except that soon after I got food poisoning, and after vomiting with all the heaving etc, the crack became a proper fracture. But I was not aware of this, and fell asleep, relieved. When I woke up (at my new flat I had just gotten), I got up and felt really dizzy - I almost passed out. I unlocked the door (in case I really did pass out), and called my brother, who took me to hospital. The doctors told me I had a ruptured spleen, and they wanted to remove it. I told them I just wanted to be put under observation instead, to give it a chance to stop bleeding, and possibly begin healing. They argued with me but it was my future health at stake, so I held my ground. The worse of the pain was when I was lying there in the bed, and it got to the stage where breathing was so painful that my breath got smaller and smaller, until I could only just take tiny breaths. But I endured this, because I wanted to know what was going on in my own body - I did not want it all numbed with painkillers. Anyway after a while it did stop bleeding, and in time fully healed. And I still have my spleen, a vital organ for the cleaning of the blood, and a storehouse of white blood cells (folks who don't have a spleen are much more prone to getting sick). When I was in hospital the doctors believed I was at great risk, although I am pretty tuned in to my body and I kind of 'knew' I was not going to die. Nevertheless the ordeal was quite difficult to endure. I still can't lift really heavy objects anymore, because the connective tissue around the tear healed in a way that now, I can get a bit sore there if I exert myself with heavy lifting. But on a positive note, I hardly ever get sick. I just got through an entire Winter and for the first time in my life, did not get sick even once. So I'm really glad I held on to my spleen. :slight_smile:

#37 Damien, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    are you kidding me.

okay so tonight i snapped. got in a fight with my sibling and ended up smashing a thick glass oberweis milk bottle over my head. thankfully 911 was called (because i would have hesitated myself). weirdly nothing major on my head but my hands are largely bound up because i had to get stitches in 2 fingers. it explains the lack of proper grammar in my typing though.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It is between two different events. For different reasons.

In terms of initial pain, it is being shot in the eye, with a BB gun. When the BB hit my eye, it was absolutely atrocious in terms of pain. It eventually settled down, but still hurt. It just wasn't as bad as...

Having a car accident, which was, probably, the closest I have been to death. My whole body was pretty sore, but my head received the worst of it, as well as my shoulders. I remember forcing myself to keep my eyes open, because I believed, if I closed them, that I wouldn't be waking back up.

Between the two, the first one, was pretty bad. It definitely tested my pain threshold. The second, overall, was an expansive kind of pain; it was all over, instead of one general area.

20. Erika Enigmatic

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When our pool was being built there were these huge metal screws sticking up from the ground where the pillars for the poolhouse were meant to go. I was running, tripped and fell and one of the screws when right through my knee.