1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you tell teenage you?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Salazar, Feb 28, 2015.

1. KayJay

I'd tell myself to come out to my mom. That's really the only thing I could think of.

2. Tetra

1) Stop killing yourself over your grades. University has enough of that as it is.
    2) Don't waste time on people who just aren't worth it
    3) Stop believing every negative thing someone says about you
    4) Follow your passion. Don't bother with things that you really don't want just for the sake of money

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

15 was the final blip on my asshole radar. So, it was an interesting time, because I was starting to come around and get out of that negative fog. While I was still very much angry at the world I, for once, felt like there was a possibility of having a healthier outlook on life.

I suppose the first thing I'd have to do is, slap the shit out of myself, for all the time wasted doing questionable and terrible things.

I would encourage force myself to salvage what I could of puberty, and to enter gender therapy, with the intention of getting hormones.

I wouldn't really need to speak of my sexuality, because, again, this was never a problem for me. At most I'd say, "Yes, you like everybody. No big deal."

Of course, this is assuming I'm doing something righteous. If I really wanted to, I'd give younger me technology from today, to impress and guarantee financial superiority, and knowledge of various events, to be thought of as a prophet... which would allow me to have the world.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't appease everyone! Go apply to out of state colleges and universities! You might have to take loans, but you will be free to live your life outside of the extreme family dysfunction and pressure to remain closeted!

5. Wooly

Your friends are still going to love you. So stop giving a shit, because it really shouldn't matter. You're bi!...or something like that. Get on with your life.

6. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Id tell myself:

In a few years you'll discover that you're not totally satisfied with your gender, when that comes do these three things..
    1 - do not hide, don't confince yourself it's wrong..
    2 - get out of that closet!!
    3 - Dont get married and think that if you lead a "normal" life it will pass... because it won't it will haunt you until you accept it!!

Be who you want to be! (oh and it's not playing dress-up, it's just putting on clothes that you will eventually wear and like wearing it)

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "If you're not suffering, you're not trying hard enough."

This is the hardest part of reality for me to swallow. One cannot both be at peace and on the way to greatness without unimaginable talent and/or luck. Painful, significant sacrifice is just as essential. People are forced to choose when to cash in their chips, and it's wiser to wait until your assets can work for you.

8. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Hey! The winning lotto number combination this coming Sunday is this!"
    HAHAHA!

Since I am still a teenager, I am just gonna wait for my older self to come and visit me and tell something to me. Damn, where is he now?

9. arken1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can't change. But, it's okay.

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing because changing my actions even slightly could have unforeseen side-effects on my current reality. I've learned some hard lessons and I don't want to repeat them. Plus my 15 year old self would probably be too paranoid to trust me. I guess I could say some helpful things if that was another version of me in a parallel universe and he was growing up that universe and not mine. In that case, what would be the point? What about all the other versions of myself? If it is even possible, I wonder if it could cause problems by simply meeting another version of myself. My brain hurts! Anyway, I was already out to some people when I was 15.

11. SittinInTheDark

Right Now: Minneapolis llll Usually: New York City
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stay in that lgbtqa support group for longer than one meeting, instead of just running away. :confused:

You might actually learn something.

Yep.

12. yep that's exactly what i would do :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'd also say "when opportunities or problems arise take them on! don't hesitate! because otherwise you'll regret them."

13. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would tell teenage me to hang in there and never turn away from his faith. I'd tell him that he faces some really tough times ahead, but he will never go through it alone. And I would tell him that he has no idea how awesome Star Wars will soon become.

14. JooBooGoo

I'm telling myself right now to just ask him out, but I'm too scared!

15. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is so, so much I would love to be able tell myself back then. But, in brief:
    Trust your instincts.
    Being different is wonderful... would it be so great if everyone was the same?
    Learn to love yourself as you really are, for you will never love the person others expect you to be.

16. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is a great thread for me, who's still a teenager, to get advice from.

As for advice from myself I'd say:

Don't be ashamed of yourself
    and don't care about what other people think of you.

Those are the two biggest things which all boils down to the most important thing: self-love.

(!)

17. as1311

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would tell myself to wake upppp. See the fact that you feel like you are trying desperately hard to be a 'normal' girl and it doesn't feel right? That's for a reason. The fact that don't want a boyfriend but at the same time you don't want to be single? Yep, figure that out before you end up just ignoring it for years.. Otherwise you will just end up going through university feeling like an outsider and masquerading as a girlfriend for a few years before breaking your boyfriend's heart when you realise you can't live a heteronormative life anymore. Be honest, be self-aware and stop focusing on everyone else.