1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you grab?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Jul 1, 2014.

?

Which would you grab?

1. Large knife

38 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. Torch

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Med kit

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Saucepan

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Matches

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. Box of food

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Goggles, snorkel and flippers

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. Blanket

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't you just use the snorkeling gear to swim away or something?

2. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I would grab the knife. The better to stab things with my dear.

3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would take the goggles, snorkel, and flippers. We don't know if animals will be located on the island but fish is almost always a reliable source of food on an island. A knife can be fashioned from one of the scrap pieces from the airplane. A torch or matches is uneccesary to start a fire, and there is bound to be stuff burning from the explosion so you could just grab a stick from the island and light it from that and then light a fire with that. If you needed a saucepan, you could carve a pan out of wood

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Knife. Although reading this ^^ and realizing how wondrously out of the box it is, I feel like I made the wrong choice. A knife is the one piece of survival equipment that's probably the most useful, but you probably could make one out of scrap from the plane, and goggles have got to be the one thing on the list you couldn't make with only a crude knife.

5. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Knife. Easy choice. Plus being an eagle scout, thats all I'd need, and really, I wouldn't even need that.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It depends if I got a glimpse of this island, before the plane crashes and then, soon after, explodes. If I saw it was huge, I would probably want the knife, because it only seems logical to want that, if I can forage for food and shelter, as well as have some kind of defense against animals. If it was really small, and didn't seem it could sustain me for a long period, I would probably go with the blanket.

With the knife, you can do what has already been mentioned. You can create makeshift replacements for other items on the list, basically. If the island is large enough, there is bound to be multiple reasons to also want it, for self defense too. Also, if it survives intact, planes tend to have flotation devices, and I would definitely go for that.

With the blanket, though, you have a sail. Between the plane wreckage (again, I'm banking on life preservers or a flotation device) and that, you could attempt to sail. Surely, if I took a plane, I'd know the direct we were going, and it'd be possible to chart a course.

It ultimately is going to come down to this choice:
    Do I want to stay on the island, and wait it out, or do I want to take my chances, and sail for it?

Now, if the plane is totally removed from the situation, I would go with the knife.

You can carve shelter and clothes (sorry cuddly island creatures) from the surrounding resources, prepare meals and sharpen tools to catch meals, and even use the knife to start a fire (I really hope there are some rocks on this island, or I'm fucked), rendering the matches and torch as convenient but obsolete.

Something else, do we have what we'd normally carry with us? For example, I wear eyeglasses, so do I get these as well? If so, my fire-making is backed up. I'm sure some people would have their phones, keys, or other nick-nacks.

If not, well, I'm screwed. I'm not blind, but I'd be practically useless in several regards. I can see close up, but not enough to be able to sail.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Assuming it's a tropical island, you could weave palm fronds into both sails and rope to rig them. So that wouldn't be an issue.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The Professor, is that you?

:lol:

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

the post i was born to make

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rofl, I'd have a hydroelectric plant and an air conditioner running before the plane's fires died down.

11. the haunted

And here I was thinking we were about to select from a list of body parts...

*Disappointment*

Med kit...

12. SaraSempiternal

Large knife. There are MANY uses.. I don't even wanna list them but just because you ask:

~Hunting
    ~Crafting
    ~Defense

First of what came up in my head.

13. Yosia

Blanket so i can sleep and shade. ^.^

14. apocalypse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Large knife, because I'm a paranoid mofo who needs her weapons. I'd rather die fighting off a pack of wolves and slaying a few instead of being gobbled up by a shark with my measly snorkles. C'mon people xD

15. White Knight

Med kit.

Assuming that blow is not strong enough to kill you so probably some items will stay no matter what, like knife.

Even if they gone, there is a huge plane wreckage to salvage for many sharp and pointy things. That is largely unlikely "deserted island" have a reliable ecosystem to support big predators which could be problematic for me. Little ones comes with poison and infections.

Med Kit on the other hand, assuming belongs to plane and very detailed one, might contain somethings to fight off tropical diseases... do you know how many shots they do to people who wants to travel Africa? And the infection thing I mentioned above.

16. Hexagon

Have you ever tried to make a fire rubbing metal and rock together? It's bloody difficult. I've read about another way, though I haven't tried it. You make a kind of bow with a stick and shoelace, then use another stick looped into the string to move the first stick in a rock with some kindling.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yes, I have. And yes, it is difficult. But when it comes to either sit around and die, or try something, you best believe I'm going with the latter. I was trying to directly justify the knife, and why I'd choose it. If it came down to it, I suppose I could rub two sticks together, or spit hot fire...

Okay, a bad attempt at plugging in my questionable freestyle skills, there. LOL.

The point is, I'm either surviving, or I'm leaving behind a glorious memorial of my attempts at survival. I don't want somebody rolling up on the island, seeing my corpse and thinking, "Wow, this person really sucked at life."

18. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See imo a blanket would be best, it will prove warmth and shade, if needed you can make clothing out of it. And by my logic if you get under a blanket it will protect you from anything!

19. Hexagon

Hehe, no. I chose the knife too. Just trying to put other fire-starting options out there, in case anyone finds themselves knifeless :wink:

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm confident, if all of us here on this forum, shipwrecked, together, we could at least get off the island. We have, like, what? 20 Professors?

LOL.