1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do if gay at school prom

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The school prom is in early-June.
    People are already starting to talk about it. However, I have an issue - I am gay. So, I really don't know what to do for it, or if I should go at all.

Has anyone been in a similar situation before and has any advice?
    Thanks!

2. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't go to mine and I do kind of regret it. I wanted to ask one of the girls in my grade to our prom but I wasn't allowed to because of the Bible's condemnation of homosexuality. I wasn't allowed to wear a tux to it either. I wasn't the only one who asked, one of my friends (who's a guy) wanted to wear a dress and his partner (a girl) wanted to wear a tux too but the teachers found out and put a stop to it. One of the guys I know did get away with wearing eyeliner though, he's got more guts than I do!

And I'm not big on guys or dresses so I didn't feel comfortable going. I was one of the two kids in the grade that didn't go and I feel like I missed out :\ If I'd gone to a public school, I would've gone no question but you know, there's no point dwelling on it now.

I say go if you want but if prom's not your thing then don't bother. If your school will allow it or if it doesn't and you're brave enough (XD) you could go with another guy, I'm assuming you are a guy. You could either ask someone you know isn't straight or a straight guy who's cool with it, I don't know and you could just ask to go as friends. Or, if you have any friends who are girls, you could ask them too. Another alternative is just going alone. I think a lot of schools would allow same sex couples if that's what you wanted anyway. I wouldn't overthink it too much, it's not until June ^^

3. Laughsalot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Prom's aren't such a big thing in my country, or at least they weren't when I was your age, also I wasn't completely clear on what my sexuality was back then but I went with my best friend. She left school before our prom (we call them formals) and I was dateless so I invited her as my +1 so she could come back and see everyone and get the experience of going to it. I love her to bits, we've been best friends for 20+ years now but I have never felt any attraction towards her and she is very very straight - she full on loves men and has never hidden it. Ha ha ha! We are like family and our school friends knew all that and didn't care or read anything into it (or at least if they did I never found out about it!). In my year at school there were only two people who had come out by that stage. Both were male. If memory serve me right they went together as friends in a big group, much the same as I did. Again, it was clear they were just friends.

I think there are a lot of factors that probably feed into your situation that didn't feed into mine though. I wasn't sure of my sexuality then, as I have already said and I was also single. If you were going would you want to take a date? Do you have a partner? Do you school friends and teachers know your sexuality?

4. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello again. Thanks for the advice.

So, answering the question about friends, I don't really have much. I struggled to fit in when I was younger, so when I got to secondary school, my parents forced me into a friendship with another guy who doesn't have much friends. However, the real reason he doesn't have much friends is because he is egocentric, delusional and sometimes downright aggressive. So, I have had to endure that for 4.5 years. I am on good terms with many other people and will gladly speak to them, but nothing as far as a friendship.

I don't have a partner. I am a bit overweight and my NY resolution is to lose weight in order to become more attractive to people. A few teachers know my sexuality because of a personal essay I have to do for my English assignment.

I just feel that the whole thing will be awkward if I am on my own or am with a girl.

#4 Joe2001, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  5. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My sister had a few friends who took each others significant other to the prom as the date (so the school would be okay with the couples) then when they got their they switched dates, so the boyfriend could be wih the boyfriend and girlfriend with girlfriend. I'm not sure if the school found out, but usually there's so much going on the teachers and staff probably didn't notice.

6. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah I used to chaperone for the dances and I noticed it all the time but never said anything to the higher ups I thought, whatever, kids will be kids if it makes them happy go for it. I graduated at an older age than most of the kids in my class. The only other kid in my age range was a kid with Downs syndrome. Oops forgot to add my advice. My advice is go for it. Be careful and do what makes you happy.

#6 Wesley007, Jan 11, 2018
  7. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's interesting. Quite a good way of doing it. Problem is, I haven't yet got a boyfriend and I don't actually know any LGBT people. I have been raised in a very heteronormative society.

8. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Then go with a girl you get on with and have a good time. Don't put yourself out there unless you want to. Try to just have fun. You might be surprised by who noticed you. I mean I went with a girl and a guy and had fun with both. So try to relax it's no big deal to go without a boyfriend this time.

9. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Joe2001 Do you want to go? If you do, are you reluctant to go alone? That may be the best option if you don't want to ask someone out who would either be a straight guy or a girl by the sounds of it.

10. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Going alone would still make things awkward. I don't have any decent friends, and I will just look like a bit of a loner, or alternatively end up hanging about with the forced friend, who I cannot stand. I honestly feel that a boyfriend would fill the void of what is missing in my life.

I should mention that I have social anxiety. Whilst I get on well with other people, I do find it tough being around too many of them.

#10 Joe2001, Jan 11, 2018
  11. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Joe2001,

I get that. It can be really difficult feeling so isolated. So does that mean you would rather not go? Otherwise I think the suggestion of a friend (even if not a close friend) might be a good option if you really want to go.

What about LGBTQ groups in your area? Could you go and do something with a group that night instead?

12. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I will likely be forced by my parents to go, most likely as an attempt to "be social". Also, it will likely be the main talk from the end of the exams through to the Summer and I would feel that I have missed out if otherwise.

I am not out to parents, so can't really join an LGBT group. There will be some nearby and in Glasgow, but none in the town I live in, which is full of Irish descended Catholics, so not an ideal place.

13. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying the situation.

In that case probably think about taking a friend. That's probably the easiest option if you do not want to be there on your own.

What about this 'friend' your parents made you make? Will he be going? Not to go together but would you be able/want to hang out with him once there?

14. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OK - It's a long story about this "friend", so I will sum him up in 3 words: egocentric, delusional and aggressive.

He will likely be there, and I will end up being stuck with him. I just know it. It's a not a happy friendship, particularly for me.

15. Laughsalot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a friend with many of those traits too so I get it, I really do. I also have social anxiety issues. I think though that my advice would still be to try and go. It's a thing that I think is worth accomplishing. Even if it doesn't work out, you will be able to tell not only your parents but also yourself that you tried!

16. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a challenge but at least it means you won't be standing alone which, if I've read you right, would be worse?

Perhaps it would be a good idea to try and make some friends over the next months and see. Would the be an option? Even if it was just getting to know people at school more. Then the prom will be more fun. What do you think?

17. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just kinda skimmed your replies and such. Honestly,I went to mine and regret it. Maybe if it was free I would have gone, but it's pretty expensive,especially because while the event itself was okay, the highschooler drama leading up to it just made me feel stressed out and even more like an outcast.

In the nicest way possible, I feel like events such as prom are only fun if you have a few genuine friends from highschool to enjoy it with.

During highschool I probably hung out with "friends" like once or twice a year. I didn't have the heart to tell my parents I didn't really have any friends, and they didn't want to accept the fact lol. So I completely understand your parents trying to force you to go.

I see 3 options:
    *Make a huge deal and don't go
    *Be honest and tell your parents that you struggle to fit in and prom would just make that even more painfully obvious
    *Recommend a family equivalent?

18. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can you ask a friend to go with you?

19. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought I had already covered the "friends" issue in enough detail in previous posts. FWIW - I wish I had a decent group of friends to accompany me anyway! Friendships have been a total nightmare for as long as I can remember.

#19 Joe2001, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  20. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it bad to envy the guys in my year who have a great group of friends and/or a romantic partner?

I have had so many "Where the heck is my life going? moments in the last 6 months. Getting fed up with it. I seriously need to improve.

#20 Joe2001, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018