1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vermont Marriage Equality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Mar 23, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

It has past many hurdles in the legislature in Vermont, but it looks like gay marriage will now be legal in the state of Vermont; that is if the governor does not veto the bill. He has openly said he disapproves of gay marriage.

2. Alyosha

Alyosha Guest

This is excellent news. Vermont is extremely liberal anyhow, so I'm suprised they hadn't legalised gay marriage earlier. I think VT is the foremost liberal state in the USA unless I'm mistaken. I'm sure that Jim Douglas will go with the decision of the majority... vetoing something because he personally disapproves seems unlikely for him, he seems like a pretty good guy.

3. Just Adam

great news good to see equality on the horizon :slight_smile:

4. Alex19

i hope he doesnt veto it. if he does, im gonna kick his ass. lol

5. Just Adam

make sure to video it and post on gregs thread lol

6. Emberstone

I would say massawhatsit *sorry, I have a hard time pronouncing it, and spelling it* is more liberal then vermont. it really varies. Alot of people say the west coast is quite liberal, but thats only on the west side of the cascade mountain range.

However, any state that makes a move forward for equality is good in my book. california was a victory until utah poked its nose into other people's business.

I cant wait for oregon to take a pro gay marriage stand. I dont care, my family who doesnt already know about my sexuality will know if they put it to the voters. I dont belive it is moral, or technically legal for a vote to be used to deny equal rights, but that doesnt mean I wont use it to raise awareness within my family who dont currently know.

my grandparents on my dads side probably would be voting for gay marriage anyway, as I have a cousin who is in a commited relationship with her partner, and together they have a daughter that was born last fall.

7. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Vermont should easily go in the win column after this week, but I'm looking forward to Maine, Oregon and Washington State as well, though opinion varies outside the cities as it does in many parts of the Us.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lucky you, at least you guys live within driving range of marriage-legal states. I'll be stuck in shithole little Alabama for at least another two years or so. But congrats, anyway.

9. Emberstone

if I can secure a book deal, I might be able to basically live wherever I want to if book royalties is enough to pay the bills. But I agree, any state that enacts gay marriages is a victory.

10. Greggers

I REALLY hope washinton state gets marriage equality next :[

11. NathanHaleFan

I think the governor of Vermont recently stated that if the bill should come to his desk, he would veto it. Whether the bill would garner enough support in the House to override the veto remains to be seen.

12. Nodnarb

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20090325/NEWS03/90325025/-1/NEWS05

If what Governor Douglas said is true, that is GREAT news for us!

13. Thisisnew

That's great go Vermont!

14. Paralyzer

wtf! Vermont is a state!? How come I've never heard of it before?
    Like really...

Well, this is cool so whatever! :grin:

15. Nodnarb

UPDATE:

The Vermont House passed the gay marriage bill 95-52 today. Tomorrow will the final vote on the measure. We need 5 more yes votes to get a veto-proof majority. If we can't pick up those votes, Governor Lynch will veto the bill:frowning2:.

Tomorrow is a big day for marriage equality in the US.

16. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

You mean Governor Douglass, Lynch is governor of New Hampshire which also has a fight of its own. It will pass tomorrow in the House tomorrow in Vermont, but we need to pick up 5 votes, which means pushing your friends, reps in Vermont. Even with 60 percent or more of the legislature, Douglass should simply respect the vote.

17. Nodnarb

Vermont, New Hampshire....Same difference:wink:

18. EM68

I just heard on the news that the Governor of Vermont vetoed the law legalizing same sex marriage. :frowning2:

19. Greggers

If he turns up dead in a dumpster tomorrow with a pink boa stuffed in his mouth...

...ill be in mexico *innocent*

20. Nodnarb

It isn't over yet, there will still be an override vote.

If the House's vote count stays the same, the veto will stand. But there is a chance a few votes will switch in the re-vote.