1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegatarianism

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by kizza111, May 5, 2010.

?

Are you a vegetarian?

1. Yep.

22 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. Nope.

39 vote(s)
    47.0%
  3. Yes, with exceptions.

12 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. No, with exceptions.

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. AlyssWonderland

I've been wanting to for a while now but my parents don't like the idea of me being veggie, but I don't like meat anyway so once I'm older its gonna be pretty easy :grin:
    The only thing I can't live without is bacon... Yummm.

2. Gambit

I cant imagine my life without meat...it's to delicious

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I could never be a vegetarian.

4. flymetothemoon

I eat white meat but I don't eat any red meat at all...so I said yes with exceptions, I wasn't sure what to put exactly but decided that was the closest to the right answer for me. I actually really enjoy Morningstar vegetarian meats and ate them even when I did eat meat, so that might be something for you to check out.

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I eat a lot of vegetables, ironically enough I am overweight. I don't eat sugar. I don't like most meat. I don't like a lot of stuff that people generally think are good. lol

6. haelmarie

I plan to become a vegan when I move away from home. Right now, I'm still munching on dead animal's carcasses.

7. Chandra

There isn't one "concept of vegetarianism". People choose to avoid meat for all kinds of different reasons.

Only in the safety of our cities, my friend.

Golden. So next time you're in the bush with the grizzly bears (who are definitely higher up on the food chain than you at that point), I expect you'll lie down and let them exercise their "rights" with you, yeah?

I don't have a problem with people who choose to eat meat after considering the issues and coming to the conclusion that they, personally, don't find it ethically problematic. But calling other people's also-carefully-considered opinions "fucking stupid" and making nonsensical remarks about "rights" is not going to help you win anybody over to your point of view.

8. Eponine

I have a roommate who is vegetarian and the food he eats from time to time seems pretty damn good. It's funny how sometimes I hear people say that vegetarian food is plain and tasteless when that is most definitely not the case.

I've planned on becoming a vegetarian one day, when I'm independent and have more time to actually explore different foods. I already do love eating soy "meat" products pretty regularly and I really like tofu. In the meantime, I'll continue my meat-eating ways, but I don't think it will stay that way for long.

9. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

ive been a vegetarian for about 7 years. everyone in my family is huge meat eaters.

tofu is tasteless and you can season it to taste how ever you want.

any of the vitamins and minerals you get from meat can be found in other foods. protein can be found in nuts and such.

the loving meat thing is tough. if you are like me and are doing it for the animals i found watching the slaughter house videos before meals helpful in not wanting to eat meat.

if its just for health reasons then i dont know. suck it up and fight through the cravings?

also i didnt read any of the other post so if anyone has already said something like mine sorry.

10. biisme

I don't eat certain kinds of meat...but that's just because I'm a picky eater. I eat beef, pork, chicken and turkey. And that's it. I have never had seafood and can't imagine ever eating it; the thought alone makes me feel sort of queasy and with a smell I get downright nauseous. I've also never tried lamb or duck or anything like that.

However, I honestly don't think I could live without the meat I do eat. Ok, turkey can go away, but the rest, no. I get "beef cravings" sometimes that make my jaw ache because I want beef so badly. Sounds ridiculous, but true. My family laughs, but usually if I have a strong craving, they'll make it because it's all I'll think about. I get hungry looking at the raw steaks/roasts/tips in the meat section of the grocery store. Yea..... Basically, I would be fine physically, but I'd probably be a jittery mess and lose my mind.

11. Darkwing65

I put 'yes with exceptions'; which basically means 'NO'. Humans received their higher brain functions from meat. I am not going to deny my craving for meat, but i am going to limit it. For moral reasons, i stint my meat intake. Besides, protein can be found elsewhere.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a vegetarian but as several people here. I'm just picky. I only eat chicken, turkey, and hamburgers. I don't eat steak or ribs or anything else from cows besides hamburgers really. I really love chicken but only eat things with breast meat. And I love turkey but only have it on thanksgiving. I really hate any product from pigs. Ham is disgusting and bacon seems so fatty I just can't eat it without feeling gross. Don't like seafood and idk if I'd had any other kinds of meat but ya...

13. mischa91

i've been vegan for over 4 years now. i try to stick to home made stuff and stay away from the fake meat products. i recommend getting a few simple cook books; also try removing things from your diet gradually, start with the red meats one week then move onto the white meats. do it in stages; i didn't and it was hard at first. i've also joined a local vegan meetup group, we have trips to restaurants and hold potlucks. it's a great way to talk to other vegetarians about what they like and share recipes and such.

if you'd like any recipes pm me, i could give you an awesome recipe for "cheesecake" using tofu.

14. pirateninja

Fully agree.

I've been vegetarian for 7 years now, for ethical reasons, and opinions like "we're the top of the food chain and have the right to eat them" pisses me off. Also being told that my ethical stance is stupid doesn't sit very well with me.

You can eat meat, sure, go ahead, I won't stop you. Eat it in front of me if you want. I won't go on some vegetarian hippie rant at you. Just don't try and shove your opinion on me that I should eat carcasses and I'm stupid if I don't, and I won't shove my opinion of eating said carcasses at you.

*ahem*

Back to the topic at hand; as said before, I've been a vegetarian since I was twelve, and I'll be honest with you, in the first few weeks of not eating meat, I felt a lot healthier; I lost weight but got fitter, felt more alert during the day and I've rarely ever been ill since cutting out meat.

Vegetarian diets are high in minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, very good for the health, however, the whole lacking in protein thing is easily made up if you still want to eat eggs, milk and cheese. Personally, I adore tofu, quorn and substitutes, lots of protein and much less fat than meat, although I know some vegetarians that don't like quorn, or they only like Linda McCartney sausages (which I don't like very much), or they like Cauldron. There's quite a lot of substitutes to choose from and the only way to find out is to try them until you find one you like best.

Grains and beans, when eaten together, also provide plenty of protein. Soya beans or lima beans in a salad with nuts or grain is especially tasty :grin: It may be good to get in a vegetarian cookbook, as even though it may seem you are "limiting" your diet, you aren't. So get some good new recipes to try out and see that you aren't limiting yourself at all. :grin:

As for eating out, there's plenty of choice out there. Indian food is very good veggie-wise, as about 40% of India is vegetarian and there are usually plenty of dishes to choose from.

Hope this helps! And good luck with the vegetarianism. You're in good company; John Cleese, Mary Shelley, Jared Leto, Steve-O, RuPaul, Pierce Brosnan, Michael Jackson, Melissa Etheridge, Liv Tyler, Leonardo Da Vinci, Dustin Hoffman, H. G. Wells, John Lennon and of course, Pirateninja :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Just to name a few :grin:

15. BeccaBearr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i a vegetarian! i dont eat any red meat. only chicken and fish. buttt i never liked seafood so i dont eat that anyways. theres more sources of protein than just tofu and such. peanuts/peanut butter is a great source of protein! there are also protein bars, granola bars, and many other random foods that may have a few grams of protein (check the information of food containers) :thumbsup:

16. XxToshixX

I've Been A Vegetarian Ever Since I Was Like 6 Or Something. The Smell, Taste, and Texture Of Meat Has Always Made Me Wanna Gag. :thumbsup:

17. theJosephDean

This October will make three years that I've been a vegetarian :slight_smile: I agree with Pirateninja's and Chandra's posts above about the pure idiocy of anti-vegetarianism arguments whole-heartedly. I've had a lot of health issues in the past (I still do), but I've been much healthier since I stopped eating meat. It's partly because eating them has always upset my stomach and partly because I'm in love with all animals, and I could never think to deface them like that =/

18. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Not vegetarian, like meat too much. But each to there own.

19. Shevanel

I couldn't eat only vegetables because there is simply just too much food in the world that is amazing, that isn't vegetables. Like Veal Parmesan. xD

Also, the only reason I came into this thread was because I thought the thread title said "Vagitarianism" xDDD I was like "Ooh, this is a thread for Derek and me" xD

20. theJosephDean

Eggplant parmesean is really good, too =3

Oh, you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: