1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transsexual pregnancy for those of you interested.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fugs, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Hot Pink

It just comes down to having maternal instincts. Yes, trans women have them just like any other women on the planet. Just like when a barren woman is upset that she can't give birth to children, so are trans women. It's not difficult to understand or empathize with.

2. smprob

This^

@Fugs
    I heard this from you first time. Thanks for posting. Only those who can understand what you are going through will understand how you feel, there are lots of people who do (*hug*)

I think whatever outcome of these researches are, it is great to see at least there are attempts to achieve something like this. Three teams have tried so far. let's hope there will be more tries and someone would succeed. As I've heard, the beginning of MTF, FTM surgeries started like this, with problems. I don't say lives should be risked, but let's keep faith that it will get better.

It's obvious if no one ever tried to do anything, considering possible fears or criticism nothing of science would have ever become possible. Today we see a lot of scientific achievements, that were thought never possible sometime ago and criticized for thinking impossibilities. But still those happened and those evolved and considered as possible now. Time, resources and dedication of those involved, lead them to the possibility. Let's wish, everyone involved in this too will have all they want to achieve it and more success, and also it will become open for everyone who wants to have it. :thumbsup:

#22 smprob, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. Neph

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's a really interesting concept. And on top of that, I know we've made breakthroughs in using a synthetic stem cell construct and cartilage molds to create organs that can be transplanted with a 0% rejection rate. Provided we can get the procedure right, I see no reason why it would not be perfectly viable to transplant a fully functioning womb (or any other reproductive organ). Science can do some crazy stuff, unfortunately, some people see that crazy stuff as superfluous and less important than say, butchering each other in a war. It's a messed up world we live in, but humanity is capable of some wondrous things.

4. prism

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with the concept of transexual pregnancies...

The only semi-negative thing that was said in this thread was that the possibility of it becoming a common procedure is small because of cost and safety regulations.

5. PurpleCrab

Why would it be wrong if it became a common procedure? Wouldn't it be great if infertile women could carry their children like they should?

...anybody who disagrees with this might as well say that people with cancer shouldn't get any treatment because cancer is natural and they should die the way God intended them to!

6. prism

I honestly don't know how else to put it. No one is saying it shouldn't become a common procedure. I'm only saying the chances of it becoming a common procedure are slim.

7. J Snow

As much as I'd love to have my own kids and be able to experience pregnancy and all that, I couldn't personally justify doing this. It seems like a much more selfless decision to not put a child through added health risks. Plus it just seems wasteful to spend a fortune on such a complicated risky procedure when there are children starving in the world.

As I said, it sounds appealing, but I don't personally see it effecting me. I don't want anyone to get offended for stating my thoughts though.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's a bit harsh.

I personally don't have that maternal instinct so its hard for me to get it, but I'm not very fond of anyone going through any kind of procedure to get pregnant. I have had this argument with my mom every single time one of our friends or family goes through invitro fertilization. I just don't get it.

But I do get how traumatic and emotionally draining it has to be for people that feel that they can never achieve something that is so close to their hearts. And my heart goes out to you guys (*hug*)

I hope that everyone here can simple agree to disagree. Its a very touchy subject and its very personal for a lot of people. Be careful with that you say :slight_smile:

9. SolisOccasus

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Excuse the revive.

There seems to be an excessive amount of hearsay and pseudo-scientific speculation on subjects like this in online LGBT communities. This is yet another such thread I spotted, where people seem more open to this idea, so I decided to register and shed some light on facts.

A uterus transplant procedure was completed in Turkey in August 2011, one year prior to your post. The donor was a cadaver and they are waiting 18 months before IVF. Out of that time, 3 months remain now. There have been no complications.

Additionally, two more uterus transplantations were performed in Sweden last September, four months ago. The uteruses came from live donors. One recipient was born without a uterus, while the other had hers removed due to cancer. As far as I know, IVF is planned after the uterus has remained healthy for a year, eg. next September.

If the Swedish team manages some half a dozen successful operations and pregnancies, uterus transplantation will then become a clinical procedure.

Since the uterus is transplanted and connected to the body surgically, risking hemorrhage if birth happened vaginally, this means any uterus transplant recipient will have to give birth by section.

I have exchanged e-mail with the principal Swedish surgeon. His message implied, in my opinion, that he deems uterus transplantation into an MtF person a clinical possibility, noting however that egg donation would be necessary in the process.

It will nevertheless likely require further research due to possible anatomical complications within the pelvis that have to be addressed, but personally I think it's certainly something that will happen in our lifetimes.

Sweden is unlikely to have ethical nor moral obstacles preventing the application on MtF. The other countries researching or performing uterus transplantation may have such obstacles, but they also have more compromised LGBT rights.

Some people might ask why bother to have children at all, as raising and caring for them is time taking, expensive and stressful. Giving birth and adopting also indirectly support the overpopulation of the world - well, mostly the third world, not the first. Many more, on the contrary, go to extreme lengths to experience the miracle of life and become a mother as naturally as possible.

This isn't something that could necessarily be explained by logic, just like love, various phobias, fixation on certain interests, etc. because it's a primarily emotional matter, driven instinctually. It's a part of what makes us human, as well as mammal.

No offense intended, personally I don't see the motivation to do this being subject to critique - eg. accusations of selfishness, allegedly going too far to assert oneself of womanness, etc. - from 1. people who lack this strong instinct and/or approach the issue from a rational and non-emotional direction, nor 2. people who talk about overpopulation but either intend to exercise or already have exercised their inherent reproductive capabilities themselves. It's unlikely they will have the perspective to understand this.

Not necessarily referring to the procedure discussed here, but addressing this issue in general. "You should be thankful your/our kind is allowed at least this." The mindset, whereby one should be thankful for being accepted by the majority as a person with an inalterable and fundamental quality, is fundamentally flawed. Rights would never have been attained with such a mindset.

That is a submissive mindset that, perhaps subconsciously, resigns moral authority over one's rights to the majority, instead of a principle of fairness and equality. People, LGBT minorities, have NOT been generously given their rights by the status quo, out of a randomly passing sentiment of kindness, after a century of watching them submit and suffer. Rights have had and still have to be fought for. Once attained, rights must be taken for granted and held on to, lest they be again given up amidst ever growing strict attitudes in the middle of crises.

In the age of human rights, at least in the context of the western world, in Europe, North America and all westernized cultures around the globe who value individual liberty... there is simply no excusable reason to exclusively deny, from a group of people, a legal right, opportunity nor treatment allowing a better quality of life, on non-medical, non-ethical grounds, simply based on the alleged notion that society and culture aren't ready for this yet, or something.

#29 SolisOccasus, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  10. KaraBulut

I'm actually surprised that the physicians are talking about IVF post-uterus transplant. Because of the effects of immuno-suppressive drugs, it would be years after a transplant that a recipient could be stable enough to conceive. And there would still be questions about the effects of immunosuppression on the fetus, as well as the stress of carrying a child to term on a transplanted uterus.

It's an interesting discussion, but it still seems like something that is a long way from becoming a reality.

11. I am glad to see that people are trying to make it possible for us to have kids. I would love to have kids. On the other hand, it would probably cost A LOT of money, that I don't have... and what about the side effects? For both the mother and the baby.

12. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a really good post SolisOccasus thank you <3

13. AlexisAnne

I wasn't a member yet when this thread originally began, otherwise I'm sure I would have commented then, but since it's been revived I feel a little more comfortable jumping in here now. First and foremost, is this something that's going to happen in our lifetimes; maybe not, but more importantly... Maybe. The rate that science and medicine are advancing, it's really impossible to say what can and can't happen. The idea that it might, even if the chance is extremely slim is extremely enticing.

I myself know that, without medical advancement, I'll never be able to give birth to a child of my own, never feel that life growing inside of me and yes, it hurts. I know it's the type of thing that you can't really understand if your not in our position, or a cis gendered woman who's unable to conceive, but the desire is there, and like Fugs, I would be willing to take some risks to make it happen. I'm sorry. Is it partially selfish, sure, but it's how it is. There are cis woman who are at risk, strong risk in some cases, who are still willing to go through with it, and in some way, I understand that desire.

I totally understand what you were saying here, and I feel exactly the same way. I can't say that in my time pretending to be a guy, I was ever really interested in fathering a child, but I've always had the desire to get pregnant, to feel that little life growing inside of me, all of the good and bad that comes with nurturing that life for nine months, I want it all. And the moments with my husband. That whole comment really struck a chord with me, and I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

And yes, should I decide to at some point, I'd be willing to adopt. There are a lot of children out there who need homes and families and I would be happy to give them one, but, yeah if it turned out to be possible, I would want to have my own child with a man I loved.

I have to say, until I read this thread, the subject of pregnancy hadn't been on my mind for a little while and I didn't realize how much more emotional I would feel about it now that I've accepted myself and started to take steps to change my life.

14. PurpleCrab

Awesome! Thank you for your input.

15. SolisOccasus

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    They might've frozen embryos before the surgery, as well. In any case, they wouldn't have done the operations if the plan wasn't to proceed into a pregnancy afterwards. The effects of immunosupressants on a developing embryo are well known, as women with transplanted organs have gone through pregnancies. The immunosupressing drugs are tailored for that. So it's already reality.

16. DhammaGamer

Never ever ever ever would do this to myself. I am barren, and I am at peace with that. If I decide to have a child, it will be adopted and I will care and love for it just as much as if I had carried it myself. The changes I am already undergoing are dangerous enough, let alone a full-on transplant and IVF pregnancy. No WAY Jose!

17. KaraBulut

I wouldn't say that they are "well known".

Keep in mind that most non-elective transplant recipients are elderly and outside the age where they would be having pregnancies. The exception is renal transplants where there's a pretty broad range of ages and a significant number of females of chlid-bearing age.

There's a number of drugs involved in immunosuppression post-transplant. A renal transplant could get by on a 7-9 month course of prednisone. The infant would be born with a bad case of cushing's disease which should reverse after birth.

But I don't know that we have enough research on azathioprine, cyclosporine or mycophenolate- or to what extend these drugs might be teratogenic.

18. SolisOccasus

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Pregnancy | Uterus transplantation project - Sahlgrenska University Hospital - University of Gothenburg

This page, representing the team that actally will be doing it, contains some relevant info.

19. undeadslayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap(*hug*) Well Said! I've been following this research for some time now and I feel the same way! I'm also Trans/Woman 20, And my fiance and I have been talking about this subject a while now, and yes I wanna be able to carry his, well "our" first born and any other kids we'll decide to have in the future "Our OWN Kids"! Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with adoption but if we were to have kids we would choose a surrogate, or this research "If Given". And yes I do understand the risks but as @GreenRaven stated, "We have always took risks to advance our medicine and medical training for many different things" and there's no difference here. This research could help cure many different things. For one doing this research would not only advance medical procedures for the trans community MTF/FTM but it could also help with a better understanding of the female reproductive system and help some natural born women who are not able to have their "own" children as well. (Sign Me Up!) I don't care about nobody else and what they think. I'm willing to help in this research in any way that I can to help myself and others as well! Hell I'll be the first if I can be "you only live once" and I'll rather die doing some that I love than to die doing nothing at all or at least helping other people....

20. seeksanctuary

The only issue I have here is when anyone says "I don't care if it could kill me" when a child is involved. Having a child grow up thinking "I killed my mommy" is rough enough-- knowingly putting a child in that position because you want to be pregnant, to me, reeks of selfishness. It's one thing if you go into it knowing there's SOME chance you could die, and it's another going into it knowing it's basically suicide. And right now, from the stage things are at, it seems really close to the "this is essentially me signing my death certificate" level of dangerous.

I can understand the desire, and how much it would mean to so many people... cisgender and trans and anything else... to be able to carry their own biological child. It would be so, so amazing if this worked, and I give everyone my most sincere wishes that someday this will be not only possible, but a real option for transwomen. All I ask is that people seriously look at their mindset, and ask themselves "am I really okay with dying for this, knowing that any child I have from this will likely blame themselves for my death".

#40 seeksanctuary, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013