1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transkid. mother seeks help.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hopefloats75, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First I want to say, that you are a wonderful mother for trying to find answers for your child and reaching out to figure out the best thing to do. Not a lot of parents will do that, even if they accept their children. It really makes me happy to see people like you reaching out for their children.

I don't have any suggestions on binders (unfortunately I'm still trying to get myself one), though I'd definitely avoid making a DIY binder. And especially, especially: don't use Ace bandages or duct tape, since it can be physically injuring.

As a trans* teen myself, I think I should mention that while it is always hard for parents to accept their children, your child never changed. They're still the same ol' person they always were! Think of it more that they just simply know something new about themselves--and you do as well. Even if you thought of them as your daughter for so long, and they come out saying they're not, it's okay. They're still your child at heart, and they always will be.

I know this is hard for you, but hopefully you'll find some comfort knowing that you never lost your child. They're still the same person they always were, and now they just know something new about themselves.

Good luck to you and your family, really. I'll get back to you if I've got any advice.

2. stormborn

for binders, you could try looking at this site. but you will have to speak with her about which kimd she wants. personally, i have the tri-top binder from that site, and it works quite well.

many parents have a mourning period when their kids come out as transgender. i think the best way to get used to new pronouns is to just force yourself to use them, no matter how wrong it feels. it'll be tough, but things will get easier as time goes on :slight_smile:

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another trans teen here. I'm going through the same thing your child is going through, including the reaction of my mother, which was similar to yours.

Like Maxis said, it's natural for someone to feel this 'loss' - but you didn't lose anyone. Your child has always been your child, it just so happens that she's actually a he.

Don't feel pressured. This is difficult for you too, I understand that. And your child should understand that too.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't make an effort, however. Avoid using terms like daughter, girl, lady, woman, miss, or whatever feminine titles you used to use. If you slip up, apologize. Don't freak out. Just say sorry, and that you will try not to do it again.

It may also help if you begin to use 'he' instead of 'she' on this site. Will it feel weird and strange? Yes. But here, you can edit the 'she/her' pronouns out and get used to referring to your child as a he. This may help you with using right pronouns in real life.

It means a lot to us. Our parents trying, I mean. If my mother went through this much just to learn about me, I think I would cry.

You love your child. I can tell. And I just want to say thank you for your support.

4. hopefloats75

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ok so I will try on he for size :slight_smile:

I can tell you I am emotional after having him placed where he is currently and i missing him like crazy. i spent a few times a day with tears in my eyes over how much pain is going through his head. I did mention that I joined a forum and our visit today so i could "learn". Of course I get "You didnt post did you?" LOL I explained that when my oldest daughter started having seizures, I joined a forum, I read everything I could on it because I didnt feel I knew enough to help her get through life with eplepsy so why wouldnt I do the same thing for this now. I told him that I ask a dumb question, they answer me, I ask another dumb one about what this means and I get answered again and I thank them for helping me learn. He smiled a bit but acted like I shouldnt but I am hoping that maybe it will help him understand that I am going to be there every single step of the way. The smile is the part that I know it was appreciated. At least I hope.

I think the fact that there isnt much in life that makes you change how you address your child. I cannot think of anything else that would make me change what I call him but this so it is all so forgien to me. That is where the difficulty lies. I try to think that if I think it is difficult saying him instead of her, try imagine feeling that way. I just cant. I have always tried to have some empathy towards differences and try to understand how the other feels. I have always had the utmost respect for any gay or lesbian because to come out to be happy takes some balls with how soceity is towards anyone that is different from their point. I can only imagine how much runs through ones mind. To me anyone who does is quite amazing and probably one of the strongest individuals around. I just assumed he understood this. But I guess it is different because I am mom.

I dont know where to go from here. I explained that I found some resources around the area that we could go to meetings or just go and get more information on help. It didnt seem like a winner :slight_smile: I guess the option is there though. I opened the door right?

i honestly second guess it all now......so when I buy deodorant now, do i get stuff for guys? or for girls? Body wash? I am going to plan a hair cut with a very good friend of mine but I want to just tell her to encourage him to get a cut that he wants not one that we may think is needed even if it is a boyish cut. i can trust her with my life but how do I do this without making my child upset? I know typically she will encourage a girl haircut so I know if I say something before taking him there then she will be more adpt to helping him get the haircut that he may feel better with.

So it is little things like that clothes? washes? so on. I am unsure how to help with.

This does explain why he quit shaving his arms.... I was just about to say something previous about shaving that off i am sooooooo glad I didnt now. I had no idea that was a subtle change until i read a post on here about shaving. I am reading all the post trying to get as much information about how to stop from doing anything wrong.

5. stormborn

i think it is best to ask your child about what products they want to use, maybe take him to the store with you when you go to buy deodorant and what not? i think you should ask your child about what you can tell your haircutting friend. really, i'd say just communicate with them as much as you can :slight_smile:

6. hopefloats75

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You are probably right. I am just worried about how it will work out i think the beginning is scary i guess.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're a really great mom for seeking out advice. ^^ I applaud you for that.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

You've been a great mom to him so far. Thanks for making the effort to understand.