1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transkid. mother seeks help.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hopefloats75, Jul 11, 2014.

1. hopefloats75

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    First I will say that i wont get a single term correct so forgive me ahead of time. I am here because my 17 year old daughter has just expressed that she is a transkid. I am here to find out how to help her. She is 17 and going through a very rough time in life battling depressions, thoughts of killing herself, and a rough life to say the least. As I have told her over and over, I dont care what she is or does it is her life and her being happy is the utmost important thing in my mind right now. Whatever it is that she choses to do is her choice. I will support her in anything she does. We are just starting this journey so I have some learning to do and I need help in helping her cope with this all. I have her in the hospital now to work on her depression and self esteem but we have to have answers when she comes home on what will make this easier for her. So that is step one but she is very concerned I wont support her in this. A little back ground her dad pretty much shunned her for feeling as if she carries a disease because we run a small animal rescue in our home. So she has already been shunned by one parent and I think she is feeling like I would do that as well.

I will take anything at this point. Advice, other pages, support groups. i just need help with this.

2. Heyimweird

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You should sit down with your husband and talk it out. Even if he doesn't accept it that's his daughter and you should never shun her. Maybe he doesn't agree but he should just let it go and forget it if he can't accept it. Just relax, no daughter should be shunned for what she feels. Also sit and talk with your daughter regularly and make her feel ok and safe for what she believes in.

3. hopefloats75

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    She isnt shunned due to this she is shunned for having a disease which she doesnt have. I am not married to him, he is nothing as far as I am concerned. He is the least of my worries. He will be gone for the future until can get my daughter stable. I am not here to fix him by anymeans. I am here to stop the battles my child is having in her head and mind.

4. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one question, is she going through female to male transition or male to female transition? Because I have a whole thing typed out but I may have to re-word some of it.

5. ABeautifulMind

I cant help because I am not a trans kid. However I can say your reaction has been pretty good thus far. Thats how it sounds. I know it sounds cliched but the best thing you can do is show your love and support. I dont have to be going through that to know as much. So basically keep up the good work :wink:.

6. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, I'm so happy you're accepting! A lot of people don't take things like this well sadly.

Secondly, how long has he been out? (I'm using male pronouns since he came out as trans*)
    If it's only been a few days then maybe his father just needs to cool off, this is a lot to take in especially if he's been his daughter his entire life, I'd be taken by surprise too.

Third, show him that you love him, show him that you accept him for who he is and still love him the same, if he knows that you still love him he might not feel the same about you as he does his father.

Forth, since he identifies as trans* now it would be best to start using male pronouns, it may take a while getting use to it but it would be the best.

And sorry if this doesn't make sense using male pronouns, I'm assuming it's FTM.

7. Yosia

^^

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you aren't already in touch, go to pflag.org and find the PFLAG chapter closest to you and give them a call. It's an amazing group of mostly parents of LGBT kids, and there are always parents with trans kids. It's an amazing group with a lot of great resources, a strong sense of support, and you'll be able to find other parents just like yourself who have already been through this and can help.

For your daughter, having a really good therapist with specific knowledge/experience with trans people will be crucial. The journey for self-acceptance for trans people is tougher than for any other group, because trans people are not anywhere near the same level of societal acceptance yet. That's why therapy, and a network of parents and other trans people around will be really helpful to her.

And EC has a pretty active gender identity forum and quite a few trans members, so this community may be a great place for her to come and read about others' experiences and share her own.

9. hopefloats75

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I will look up the pflag for sure. She told me in a letter about 2 weeks ago. Even though I told her that It doesnt matter to me what she is or anything else that i just want her happy she dont seem to understand. We have had a lot of problems over her life with her. I have always said she is uncomfortable in her own skin and this makes total sense. That would be why she does.

As far as using the right terms I told her when she got mad at me for calling her missy that she cant expect what I have done for 17 years to change over night. I am mom and she was born my daughter so that will be a hard adjustment.

I am not one to criticize other peoples life choices. Of course unless they are bad choices but she doestn make bad choices. She is going from female to male. Right now we are focusing on her mental health trying to get her stable her self esteem is so low it isnt even funny. I plan on looking for the specific therapist soon but first I want to get her back to a healthy spot.
    They are aware of this all at the hospital so the counselor we spoke to has been great at working with her and she is the one that is in charge of getting her someone to speak to so I am sure they will have some experience with this.

The father doesnt accept her as a her. We have pet rats I do a rat rescue he told her that she needs to be tested for mrsa, which rats do not carry or I need to get rid of the rats before she is allowed over there. She refuses to be tested for mrsa because she said she shouldnt have to be tested to be in his life. So at this point. I am just keeping him away. He wont help the situation and it will be over my dead body before he makes it any worse. He hasnt seen her since August outside of a brief time at christmas. My husband her step dad will accept her for anything so he will be our rock here.

As far as I know she has only turned to twitter and tumbler for finding other kids like her but that is bad news in my eyes. I would prefer her to come here so I will encourage her to do so. I need a healthy environment for her.

The hard part is typing he..... It makes matters worse I had two daughters LOL so he son and all of that is just not part of my vocabulary (!)

She gets upset because there is nothing focusing on her life. Nothing to relate to. The only thing I could think of was Chaz bono! I watched the documentary on his change a few years ago but she seems like she wants more. She seem to want something to relate to. We have netflix i know there is a section but other than that i dont know how to find stuff for her to watch. I think something to relate to is what she needs.

So here is where my confusion lies. I have known a lot of lesbians and gay men. My best friend was gay but his drinking curb me from still being in his life. I know the lesbians that I know almost all seem to dress maleish so does that mean this same thing she is going through? or is there still a difference? I just need to understand as much as i can so i want to start with the difference.

10. Minnie

There's a huge difference between being a butch lesbian and a trans male. Yes, a lot of women (and yes, they tend to be gay) dress very masculinely, but they feel that they are women intrinsically. It seems your child feels they are a boy. So please, accept that there is a difference, for your kid's sake. I know it can take time for you to adjust and start using the right terms, so don't beat yourself up. Your child will eventually realise that just because you're finding this hard it doesn't mean that you don't love them, and that misgendering isn't an act of denial.
    Also, remember that transgendered people can have any sexuality - people often make the mistake that it's people who are gay by their biological sex that want to change, but as you'll see from this site, many transexuals are gay by their new sex/gender identity, or bi/pansexual. So don't rule this down to your child's sexuality.

11. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i suggest that you ask her to sign up here, if she wants/needs something to relate to, btw i think you are doing a great job with this and the most important thing i think you need is patience and for you two to talk more, him finding who he is might help his low self-esteem

12. hopefloats75

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

That is exactly why I am here to learn the difference. I never had to give it a thought before so now I have to learn about it all. I never even heard of pansexual. Can you explain that to me?

I am going to suggest it. I thought that exact same thing. I cannot imagine going through this battle but now i have to learn as much as I can.

13. Minnie

Pansexual, as far as I know, means that you can be attracted to any sex or gender (so inclusive of intersex, genderfluid etc). I am not one so might not be the best person to ask!

14. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think you are actually right though, i think :lol:

15. Minnie

One of my pan friends put it as something like: "I don't care about the machinery, but the person."

16. hopefloats75

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I cannot say how excited I am right now. I reached out to 3 of my closest rat friends (we all rescue) and I found a mother who has been in my shoes already. Another rat rescue person, she is very active in the gay community and she proofs books on it! I spent half the morning crying for relief on finding someone to speak to but for knowing that we have a person who has been there!

17. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    good for you then, im glad

18. Kaeden42

I'm glad you found someone to talk to! As far as things for him to watch, there's a lot if videos on YouTube by and about trans guys. Transgengeration is pretty good. It's a series that follows 4 trans college students for a year.

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and welcome to EC :slight_smile: It's awesome to see that you are accepting and willing to learn about transgender people! I want to note that I am going to use gender-neutral pronouns in this post.

Part of getting their self-esteem up might be starting the process of transitioning. I know that a lot of my self-esteem and depression issues were tied directly to the fact that I am transgender. I've seen this patten a lot here on the forums too. When you realize you are not in the right body, it kills your self-esteem.

I used to think that I was a butch lesbian. I thought that I was just a more masculine women. Over time, I began to realize that I wanted to be seen as male, and that I wanted to be male. That is really where the difference is.

Butch lesbians identify as female, but have a gender expression that is more masculine. In my case, I identify as male, with a gender expression that is more middle of the road.

20. hopefloats75

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have emailed a few places one being a youth group for our state. I also sent an email to a local pflag. I found another one in city close here that seems to be a community type thing so I am feeling hopeful that one of these places can help us through this. I am just waiting on some replies. I would like to find her a group that meets so she can go hang out with them. I just have to see she is willing. Her depression is very bad and I do believe that it is from this coupled with the stuff with her dad and being a teen. It is harder being a teen now so I am sure all of this makes it impossible for her to deal with.

I plan on speaking with my new friend who has been here more so I can figure out how to help when she comes home.

She wants a binder. So how do I find one to order? I wish I could find someone locally that could speak to her. like a mentor type. Obviously this isnt something I have been through so i cannot help with how this effects her.

I read and article that this new friend wrote yesterday and she said it perfectly she has to mourn the loss of her daughter and move onto having a son. I wont lie changing my mindset is hard. I say i am fine with what she is regardless but I find it hard to say him. How do I manage this? I know how much this is needed right now for her to know that I have uncondiiontal love but I do find sitting here type he is very hard. Has any of your parents just found it hard? Like it is a mourning process. Parts of me are sad but there is a huge part of me that is so relieved that we may finally have answers as to why she is uncomfortable in her skin.

I cannot thank you all enough for being here for support and to help me learn through this all. It is hard to not have anyone to understand what you are going through.