1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things you were afraid to do (before you came out) for fear of 'looking gay'?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by srslywtf, Jun 30, 2013.

1. FindingMyself

I don't dress any certain way to hide myself, but I also try not to appear too boyish around my family. I'll wear man shorts to bed, butchy clothes to mow my catholic grandmother's lawn (just as a f--- you thing) but I really can't talk about LGBT subjects around my family in general. That's what I wish I didn't have to hide.

2. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Be more outgoing, show my emotions. Give my honest opinion. Come out of my shell more often. Be myself.

3. DeanIsHome

I was scared of admitting i liked musicals and GLEE, I was scared to shop for clothes and pretended i hated shopping except for when it came to shoes and I said i hated most lady gaga and pop music

4. I was pretty scared of saying that I trim some of my body hair and scared to complement guys.

5. Adarya

I couldn't (and still can't, really) wear the clothes that I want to, and I have to shave my legs because otherwise my mother would come after me and shame me into shaving again. I was also afraid of giving my opinion on specific subjects, bringing up the LGBT community in discussion, and sharing my feelings/emotions. Giving compliments to other girls and telling them that they looked attractive or nice was another hard prospect when I wasn't out to them.

6. evora

Before I came out to myself, I was mainly afraid to be myself. To approach girls (as a friend), to look at people, to look anyone in the eye, to move around much in case something I do gives me away. When I'm out in public, I still try to move as little as possible so I wouldn't draw attention to myself, which probably does the exact opposite of what I'm aiming to do but I can't help it. I'm scared.

7. srslywtf

Hey evora, I know exactly how you feel.. i get quite strong social anxiety still. If you want to chat hit me up.

OK So I'm out to myself, but nobody else... anyway.. I bought a subtle threaded rainbow bracelet today. I want to be out to anyone that doesn't know me, but not to those who do. So I think it serves a purpose. I'm a little wary about where I wear it as it's quite.. obvious. (around here a man wearing a bracelet would probably get called gay regardless of whether he is or not.. unless it was black or brown. This is rainbow. lol)

Anyway depending what else I'm wearing sometimes I'll wear it around my friends. none have noticed yet, its starting to become a bit of an inside joke i have with myself. I'll never wear it around my parents though. Well maybe one day.

[​IMG]

8. justjade

I feel ya. I wear guys' clothes a lot, but I'm afraid to wear them to places where I know I'll see my biological family. My sister always points out every time I wear guys' pants or when she sees my boxers peeking out of the back of my pants or something like that. She drives me crazy with that. I wish she'd stop. They're just fucking clothes! What does it even matter?!

I dunno. But I definitely know how you feel.

9. Paper Crane

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is me right there... Also not looking at girls too long, like I look and then I look away because I'm afraid they'll notice, and they're probabbly straight. And then I think, "I'm sure straight guys don't feel like this when looking at women", and I feel a bit sad inside.

---------- Post added 5th Jul 2013 at 06:39 PM ----------

So you did end up getting one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Maybe I should get one too

10. srslywtf

Do it! I felt really self conscious at first... but it's nowhere near as noticeable as I"d imagined... I think.

11. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Oh yes me too! The type of music I listen to most guys see as girly.

12. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Love your bracelet. Maybe I ought to do that.

I used to be afraid to wear anything pink or purple. Doing that more now.

13. catoptriclenses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was afraid to cut my hair or wear more androgynous clothes and actually went through a super girly phase that abruptly ended promptly after I came out. People probably think I'm trying to fit the stereotype by looking like this but it's honestly what I've always liked. I was just never comfortable enough with myself to actually wear anything though because I was still trying to attract boys in hopes that I would in turn be attracted back.

I also embrace all things rainbow which I used to be so against. :grin:

And not sure if it is because of coming out, but I am finally comfortable enough with my body to not wear a bra or worry about my itty bitty titties anymore :eusa_danc

14. Paper Crane

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I bought one today :slight_smile: This is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

I haven't really worn it in front of people properly yet, I've kept it covered. But I'm sure i'll get there :slight_smile:

15. srslywtf

Yeah it sure takes some getting used to. I kinda like it now though. Although tonight I am glad I wore long sleeves. tonight scared me a little.

16. Sayu

I, actually, did almost everything to look gay, so that people wouldn't be surprised when I came out :slight_smile: That includes: cutting my hair really short (but I've always had short hair, so I don't know if this counts), wearing lots of shirts and bow-ties, wearing rainbow stuff, listening to gay artists etc.

17. srslywtf

haha, I'm kind of at that point now.. although I've always kinda liked 'gay' looking things.. so part of it is just letting myself do what I really want to for once in my life.

I'm a little careful about how far I go / who is going to be htere, but I guess at the moment... I'm trying to make it bleedingly obvious that I'm gay without any of my friends / family being able to 'prove' for certain that I am :lol: . I want to meet guys but not ready to come out to family/etc

18. FightingShadows

There were MANY things I liked but didn't do/buy because of what others would think about me.
    1. I never cut my hair shorter than my shoulders in high school (afraid that people would call me a butch lesbian).
    2. I always verbalized my liking of guys clothes to my friends, and bought a few that were gender neutral looking, but never went all out.
    Those being a few.
    But there were also many things I did just to fit in with my friends...letting my friend paint my nails, forcing myself to give an opinion when my friends wanted me to go shopping with them and would ask what I thought looked good on them.
    The latter got harder and harder to do until I was finally like, "I don't give a damn what you wear. If you like it, buy it because I just don't know what you want me to say!"

19. merlin

merlin Guest

I think my biggest thing is to be able to dress as I feel (not as a man of my "age" (53) is supposed to dress). I like to wear skinny jeans, tight shirts and clothing probably more suited for young guys. I have the figure to wear it ;-), but not the head (think Mick Jagger, but without the millions ;-). I don't care. Don't get me wrong. I do like a classy suit now and then, as they make me look good (too). I don't do specific "gay" things or wear rainbow shirts etc. I don't like to advertise, more surprise if you know what I mean.

20. Aster Tataricus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually am touchy like most girls are, so that was something I was conscious of. Now I don't give a fudge :grin: I glomp whoever I want whenever I want, and I swing my hips when walking away from the guys I like Fufufu~

Life is better out in the open, but with insurance :wink: I have a nasty right hook >=)