1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Transgender Education Thread

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Hot Pink, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hot Pink

I was wondering, about how long does the process take, from the first visit to the therapist to the final operation?
    This depends from person-to-person. Some can manage to get everything done within a year, most take considerably longer. The requirements for SRS (Sex Reassignment Surgery) are that you are on HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) and have one year of living full-time as your desired sex. You also need two letters of recommendation from two different therapists.

It's also important to note that some transsexuals decide not to ever get SRS. These individuals are called non-op transsexuals.

Myself, I do want to get SRS, but I doubt it'll be within a year. I'm not full-time yet and I don't exactly have $30,000 just laying around.

And how many operations would you have to go through?
    Technically, you have the one operation, which is technically two surgeries for MTF's. That's what we call SRS. FTM's also can get SRS. Sometimes MTF's have their adams apple removed. It's also common to get Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS), which re-sculpts the face to have more round features. FTM's get top surgery, which is the removal of breast tissue. It is also common to get a second top surgery to masculinize the shape of the chest.

2. Tracy Lord

I'm not exactly sure where I fit in on this spectrum, but then I've just recently awakened to all this. This is an educational thread and I really don't want to sidetrack it, so if anyone wants to PM me, I would love to chat!

3. Hot Pink

You may PM me with any questions, if you feel they are too personal to ask in the thread. Like you said, though, this is an educational thread. People are suppose to ask questions here.

It's possible there may be wondering the same thing you are and they come to this thread for answers.

4. Tracy Lord

I did post some thoughts here. You can comment there or here. Thanks!

5. Hot Pink

I'm transsexual student, on HRT, and I want to participate in sports at my school. What should I do?
    Hormones are the key point here. Hormones change your body and performance drastically. Here's some things to look out for in the realm of sports and fitness: FTM's will notice improvement, while MTF's will notice a reduction in performance. Schools are now addressing this and allowing FTM's to join boys teams and MTF's join girls teams.

But don't MTF's have an advantage because they were born male? Not really. MTF's that are on HRT after roughly six months have roughly the same stamina as a cisgender girl. Her strength is dependent on the individual, but strength does decrease with time as well. Testosterone is a hormone that increases aggression and tenses the muscles, which promotes muscle growth. Without testosterone, muscles decrease fairly quickly in an average person. This is the same reason why FTM's should be able to join boys teams just fine.

If your school currently does not have any transgender support for extracurricular activities, you should find some transgender information from a good source and provide it to the proper authorities--the school counselor, principal, and coaches. Transgendered people have just as much right to play in sports as anyone else.

6. dynamighty

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are forgetting two that I often figured I would be:
    Agendered and Bigendered.

While genderqueer does cover the basis of being more fluid in gender, it is not anywhere near neatly defined. It is the catch-all category when people identify with a third gender.

Agendered - When an individual identifies with no gender role nor title. There is a high likelihood that someone who is agendered will also be asexual, and prefer not to have any sexual intercourse.

Bigendered - Similar in use to 'binary genders', bigendered refers to someone who is both male and female, but does not fit into an 'other' category. They identify with both genders and fulfill both gender roles.

I figure not many people are familiar with the terms, but I didn't see them listed and so I wanted to share.

7. Tracy Lord

That's interesting, I'd never heard of that one. That could be me, actually. I'm all about allowing myself to explore my femininity at the moment but, at the same time, I don't have the sense that I'm not male. If that makes any sense....

8. Hot Pink

That does make sense because I have never felt male at all. I always felt like I was a girl.

9. DoriaN

I feel like both, or neither. Sometimes I picture myself fully female, while other times I feel I would be happy just being androgynous or a cute male. Though since I'm currently the latter and I'm feeling I want more I'm leaning towards the androgyny part and still iffy about making about transition (I'm paranoid and freak out about anything permanent in life, which is also why I only get piercings and not tattoos and junk, I'm VERY cautious; overly so).

I skipped a lot of the topic but I know for myself I find the words transvestite, tranny, shemale, to be rather offensive. I prefer the terms crossdresser, girl, or heck prettyboy.

10. Tracy Lord

I don't know. Part of my problem with all this is that the bases that are being used are the cultural norms which, even if a boy doesn't want to be a girl, etc, are all messed up to begin with. A straight boy can't enjoy having his gf strap it on without worrying about being a homo and he can't paint his toes without worrying about having gender issues.

At the same time, during the 60s, if a boy had long hair or an earring, he was a girl or a fag. When I was growing up, a boy could have an earring in his left ear, but not in his right or in both ears. Now, I see straight boys in their 20s with earrings in both ears. And as long as you're from Scotland, a straight boy can wear a skirt so long as he calls it a kilt and is playing bagpipes! It's all messed up if you ask me. And we haven't even talked about emotions that are considered proper to women and those considered proper to men, etc.

So the $64,000 rhetorical question is, how much of this is simply relative to whatever the cultural norms are?

11. Hot Pink

Again, there is a difference between gender identity and gender roles. What you are describing are gender roles. Each society and culture will have different gender roles; however, gender identity is not based on society.

Gender identity is a biological condition of the brain. Like sexuality, gender identity is on a spectrum. Some fall on extremes, others fall somewhere in the middle. Most things that are based in biology follow a certain bell curve, so being male or female isn't based only on what's between your legs. This is a lesson that society is still only just beginning to learn.

12. DoriaN

When I was 5 I wanted earrings, was to shy/scared.

I think when I was 18 I got my ears pierced, currently with 3 in my left and 1 in my right.

I've only ever gotten compliments, and now I have the bug. I want to get a nose stud, thinking of maybe a few more on my ears (Without it looking obsessive or idstasteful), and even a bellybutton piercing.

If I was braver I'd paint my nails, but I'm happy to just have long nails as is.

Idk, while I do understand there's a whole pre-concieved preception of how things 'should be', I've never felt that.

Like, boys clothes or girls clothes, idc what I wear it just feels like clothes (Though I'd be lying if I didn't say I felt sexier in girl's overall). Same for jewelry, I once wanted a specific earring and my father and sister said "Those are for girls".

I HAD NO IDEA, I just saw them as earrings I liked ;_; I couldn't physically associate them as a 'gender type'.

13. XXReye

Similar to Agender, there's Neutrois. From a website about it: "Neutrois is an identity used by individuals who feel they fall outside the gender binary. Many feel Neutrois is a gender, like a third gender while others feel agendered"
    I do use agender sometimes though because it is easier to pronounce :wink:

I was wondering, about how long does the process take, from the first visit to the therapist to the final operation?

I wanted to mention that in Ontario, SRS is covered under universal healthcare. Naturally, there's a program you have to go through first. You need to have 3 months Real Life Experience before you can go on hormones, and 1 year before you can get SRS (those numbers were doubled until recently)
    However, I've heard that the centre that does them tries to drag the process out longer than that. The process is also very strict about conforming to traditional gender roles of the sex you're transitioning to.

14. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The problem is that as far as stereotypes go, those based on gender are pretty deep-rooted in one's culture.

It might be hard to convince someone you're a girl if you'd rather play soccer than bake cookies, for instance.

This, of course, is a problem, I'm sure. If you're the tomboyish type, you might have to pretend to be someone you're not in order to be who you are. A paradox, and very frustrating one, it sounds like.

15. XXReye

I new a guy who had to hide the fact he was into boys so that they'd accept them. I guess their reasoning is "If you already like boys, why not stay a girl!".

I was going to pretend to be FTM for them, but I would've had to take hormones.
    I think their centre still has a long way to go.

16. Hot Pink

The perceptions and requirements of transition do vary from country to country. Apparently, the process is much more liberal in the United States than Canada--which is odd. I don't have to wear pink dresses and make cookies every day to meet the requirements from HRT. Our system factors in that each individual is different.

I present as male as I possibly can right now because I'm not ready for full-time. Despite this, I'm told that I still appear to be more female than most lesbians my therapist knows. He would know because he's more into the LGBT community than I am. I'm not an activist or anything.

17. Katelynn

I've been trying to find more information about the system in Canada for GRS, so if anyone can help me with some info or point me in the right direction, I'd be really happy. I found a therapist that I want to talk with to start counselling (have to wait until Oct tho), but have no idea really where to get more info on HRT or GRS so I can discuss these things & not sound like an idiot (or someone just saying over & over that i hate my body & need to fix it, I feel much more than just that). All I do know at this point is that CAMH is the people who handle the GRS stuff (not really understanding how tho). I really need to get some more info if anyone can help...

18. DoriaN

With the removel of the adams apple does that alter your voice?

I only have 2 concerns for myself not counting friends/family relations; voice, and future family.

19. Katelynn

I've also really been worried about my voice issues as well. I know there are ways to train your voice, but I'm still really concerned about how I may sound even after training it as I have kind of a deep voice at times...

20. AngelicDemonic

I'm just curious here, does estrogen raise a woman's voice the same/similar as testosterone does for a man's?