1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The inbetweeners- very homophobic!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by riddlerno1, May 22, 2009.

1. Greggers

Well actually, in the videos of THIS show ive seen, they are calling each other Gay in the man liking other men way. As in "Your so gay" not "Homework is gay". But i still stand by my previous argument, accepting it as "just a word" is great and all, but if you dont stand up to people who do use the word then your just letting people degrade homosexuality and opening doors to more, larger discrimination.

2. matty123

tbh you can't take anything on the inbetweeners too seriously, i know its mabye not the most gay-friendly programme, but i think its sooooooooooo funny, i can forgive them for the occasional gay remark

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont agree with word gay being used as an insult, but I think this is being blown way out of proportion here. It's a television show that is representing, quite realistically, teenage culture. By all means be annoyed by it's use of gay insults, but a repetitive theme I see on EC is people complaining about it but doing very little to actually change that. It's basically saying "It's not acceptable, but it isn't unacceptable enough for me to go and do anything about it".

http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24162 - This thread is what made me notice this pattern. So many people on here can point out the injustices in the world, but very little of us actually do anything to try and change it. There are a few members here, like Becky, who do so much to try and change that and do very little complaining about how horrible the world is. That's what has the biggest impact, not sitting on an internet forum and getting up in the arms about every little bit of reported injustice in society.

By all means, speak up for what you believe in, but at least also try and do something to change that because sitting on an internet forum and getting angry about it won't change a damn thing.

4. Shevanel

I agree completely.

5. Greggers

I totally agree Martin. You definitely need to back up what you preach with actions. Sorry if i seem like i go on rants alot about social injustice and crap haha, its just my nature. And trust me on this, i do it more in real life than here. Stranger or friend, if i see anyone doing something i know is wrong i find the need to speak up. Its just...me, i guess.Thats really the best way to stop people from doing things like saying "Thats so gay". Be the role model yourself. If you see someone saying it? A simple reminder to them not to use that word works wonders.

Darn whats the quote again? Um..."Big change is made from a whole bunch of little steps" or something like that.

Ive definitely seen a decrease in "thats so gay" since ive come out to my friends. It went from about every other word at times when i was closeted to about once in a blue moon now. I think its realistic to think that every time a person comes out and tells people they know not to use that phrase that we could atleast slow it down.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Did anybody make that standing ovation smiley yet? Whoo Hoo Martin! (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

7. Ty

Ty

If you censor everything potentially offensive, you wouldn't have a TV show.

8. Phantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Loads of my friends use gay in a derogatory sense, they know I don't care and I know it's not a personal attack. It's got 2 different meanings, completely irrelevent to one another, just like the word "act" can mean to perform or something decided in government. Do we really want the general public to see us as pedantic and uptight, or just ordinary people who don't get completely millitant at the very mention of the word gay? Protesting the point could be coynterproductive.

9. partietraumatic

you couldn't have sumarised my thoughts better :slight_smile:

10. Phantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why thank you :slight_smile:

11. riddlerno1

Martin, you make a valid point but i believe that we do try and make a difference, probably without even realising it. Like Greg said i noticed the drop in my friends using the phrase 'gay' in a negative context after i came out as it made them think about the actual words they were saying and how it affected me. Also questioning certain thoughts that others have can also lead to educating people on their misconceptions....i hope that by doing that it helps the world in some small way.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You are right! Coming out to people does make a difference!

13. silentsound

Never seen the show, still I guess if it is going for high school that is high school for you, for better or worse. I hate that stuff, but I guess I started hating it by hearing it in school all the time, which is what the show is going for.

14. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

Gonna throw in two points here, just add my 2 penneth...

1) The other day my friend snuck up behind me and scared the bejeezus outta me, and after I said "you bastard". When I said this it wasn't my inferrence that he was the product of a lawfully unbound sexual encounter, nor was it my contention that he was or a morally reprehensive upbringing. I pretty much was just calling him a bastard! I realize that the relationship we have with the word gay is different than others might have with the word bastard, but let's not completely overlook that when people are using words in the context if banter or trading insults, they're rarely concerned about the proper usenof the queens English are they? I'm not saying that it's right per se to say gay in that way, but that sorta leads me on to

2) A lot of people here have been describing it as a high schoo settingl, and I personally think you need to distinguish the American concept of high school and the British secondary school are very different. I've been to both, and the culture couldn't be more different. Now, I'm not suggesting that all American high schools are the same as the oneni happened to attend, but I think it's important nonetheless to distinguish this. The portrayal of gay stereotypes i've seen in many American high school shows (Veronica Mars ep with Lucas Grabeel the only one sprining to mind) are imo a lot more pronounced than this anyway.

And another thing, specific to the Inbetweeners is the context of the show. First off it's shown on and specifically commissioned by e4, which is a channel/network with a very particular sense of humour. Deciding to watch this show for a balanced portrayal of teenage life is a bit like missing the evening news, but deciding to service your news needs by watching Jay Leno and Conan O'Brian's monologues instead - you're gonna get a very skewed comedic performance. Second, watching a few clips is useless cus without watching a full ep you won't trully appreciate how obviously exagerated this show is.

So, end of the day it's a tv programme, and a late night comedy at that, so really you should take it or leave it. For sure there's an argument to be had about negative homosexual representations in the media, but this really isn't it IMO.