1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The inbetweeners- very homophobic!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by riddlerno1, May 22, 2009.

1. riddlerno1

Ok, so i was watching the tv show the Inbetweeners on E4 last night and its about a group of 4 students who dont really fit in to any groups at school. It really can be quite crude humour and slapstck so it is funny!! But.......the amount of homophobic language they use is just despicable!!! Everything is 'that is so gay' and 'you bender' and all the things we hear that connect the negative stereotype to being a homosexual. I cant actually believe how they are able to allow this to be televised!! Imagine if it was sexist or even racial derogatry comments!! Everyone would be complaining non-stop!! Remeber the whole big brother race row from a couple of years ago???

Anyone else seen this programme? I was going to attach a you tube clip but it was filled with swearing and didnt know if it would be allowed!

2. Greggers

Id like to see the clip, can you post it on my wall?

Never heard of the show, but id love to get a picture of what you mean. Its totally wrong to use that much homophobic remarks in a show for sure.

3. BeautifulStranger

I use 'That's so gay'
    It's not wrong... it's just a personal choice.

And I'd like to point out that it's portraying teenagers. The average teenager says 'That's so gay'. So the TV show is just being realistic.

4. riddlerno1

No, i completely get that and understand that but theres another scene where they get drunk and one of them completely abuses his mates dad as they suspect he is gay. But rather then portary this as wrong they make this into like a joke. I think for me thats when it was going a bit far with the using homophobic language as being a joke. I guess i speak for myself wen i saw it was rather uncomfortable to watch.

5. BeautifulStranger

But it didn't actually happen.
    It's just a TV show...

I understand why it's upsetting, being gay myself. But if I let myself get upset everytime something portrayed homosexuality in a negative context, I'd be upset all the time.

It's like a victim of rape getting upset in 'Evil Dead' when the woman is raped by the tree.
    It's fictional and meant to be a funny joke on a not-so-funny subject.

6. partietraumatic

I personally love the inbetweeners,and have never found it offensive. Presumably they can get away with the characters saying 'thats so gay' etc,because it is a fairly accurate representation of 16/17 year old boys at a school like that. I dunno,maybe im just not easily offended,but i find the scenes where they make fun of Neil's dad as gay hilarious.

7. xxxxx

xxxxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't find it offensive just funny! It's just the way they are that makes me laugh. [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvTgvEzpSzQ[/YOUTUBE] :roflmao:

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the show and don't find it offensive really. It's meant to portray high school teenagers in a humorous way, and the whole 'gay' insults is a big part of high school. It wouldn't really be realistic if they cut all that from it. I admit that it can be over the top at times, but I think that's what makes the show so funny, imo. If peeps dislike the way it is then they need to tackle school behaviour, as that's exactly where the script is coming from.

Besides, if we can't laugh at ourselves then what can we laugh at? :grin:

9. xxxxx

xxxxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6EsZSejrZo[/YOUTUBE]

10. partietraumatic

'id rather be a bus wanker than drive that piece of shit'

LOL

11. partietraumatic

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3cXbrk4aIs&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

12. xxxxx

xxxxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya this one is funny. "having the builder's in" .lol:roflmao:

13. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

What a quality show, loved it from the first episode last year. :slight_smile: The thing is that it does reflect exactly how a group of teenage straight (or supposedly so in my case ;-) ) guys interact with each other, my mates and i acted pretty much the same at high school. if there was any real malice behind it or if it was directed at one of them in bullying way i'd be offended too but such tings as this should be taken with a chuckle and a pinch of salt.

14. -Michael-

Oh come off it.

It's just a very real depiction of schools nowadays.

obviously 27 year olds attending aren't too real.

But don't be so picky.
    It's just sad.

15. partietraumatic

interesting trivia point. All 4 of the main actors actually went to cambridge uni!

16. -Michael-

And look where THAT got them. :')

Very interesting.

I'll have to repeat this next time i'm watching with someone.

17. riddlerno1

ok, i agree with you on this too!!! i watch the show every week myself and it is a real depiction of the world and it is very funny!!! my original point was that it just seemed to be going a tad too far in places!!

18. Greggers

What i find disturbing?

All of us going "Its just part of highschool and teenagers"...
    I dunno but...i forget the quote i wanted to use but something about if we want to be accepted as normal, we cant tolerate the intolerance on any scale. Mean it or not, when someone says "thats so gay" they have just put gay people on a lesser scale. We get put in the same category as insults that mean poop. I dont know about you? But i dont want to be in a category of words that mean poop.

Maybe we should be changing the fact thats its so normal for "thats so gay" to be used in highschool? Shouldent that be changed? Racial slurs are not accepted in schools these days, but homophobic slurs are on the rise. I find this quite disturbing. Sure, its just what teenagers do, but my feelings are that should be changed not just accepted as fact.

I just dont want to give off the "sit back and take it" mentality because when you do that it just encourages people to walk all over you.

19. Thisisnew

Well said I agree with you.

20. BeautifulStranger

Oh jeez
    It's just a word.

I used to get as worked up as you do. My life is that much better now that I don't care anymore.
    It is incredibly normal for high school kids to say that. Just like it's also normal to make fun of mentally challenged people. No matter how wrong it is, everyone has used the phrase 'That's retarded' or they've told a joke about someone with mental disabilities. And if they haven't told one, they've laughed at one. It's just as bad as telling it.
    But just like the entire 'that's retarded' phase, the vast majority of people grow out of the 'That's so gay' phase. Those who don't are just close-minded people who will get their comeuppance in the end. Like the RockStar energy drink guy... I'm sure sales have dropped.
    Besides, they aren't using it in a derogatory fashion. They aren't saying 'You gay fucking queer'. They're just using it as a descriptive word which has nothing to do with what they're describing.
    So in actuality, they're doing a good job of making themselves look stupid in the first place.

For example...
    "That book is so gay."

I mean honestly... Can a book really have sex with books of the same gender?