1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The hair dilemma

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi peeps

I have a hair dilemma. I asked my hairdresser about short haircuts, and she was like... it would look okay on me, but she showed how she thinks it would look, and I pretty much think I would look like a middle aged woman. I might get my hair cut short one day, when I get a managerial position and kids... That's how I feel about it. I don't have the right face for a "queer haircut". I guess I can somewhat pass with medium hair... So I grew my hair out a bit and it's about shoulder length. If I wait, it can still be shoulder length for some time. I also decided to pierce my ears. And get one additional piercing in one ear. I like the look. *shrug* Anyway, I'm left with shoulder length hair, long hair, or chin length hair. I can pass with chin ength hair, I guess. It looks emo. The haircut I had and like. But I'm not sure how those different hair lengths affect passing? I don't care to pass this much. I just want to read as a tomboy, I want to read masculine. People tell me I look better with long hair. The hairdresser says I look better with chin length hair. My dad is like "short hair is more comfortable and you look great". Grandmas are all for it. Mom dislikes my short haircut. One of my best friends also expressed an opinion that I look better with long hair. He also says that if I want to get a boyfriend, long hair is better (I complained to him about it, and yes, he knows I'm a guy and treats me as such) Other friends didn't care either way. I'm afraid I just look worse and less attractive to guys with shorter hair. But I take a guess that the longer the hair, the more feminine impression it makes? Cis guys get mistaken for girls in long hair. Only few of them can pull it off, just because they have masculine features. I don't want to "be a lady". No way. If hair affects ladylike treatment? It's not a role I feel comfortable in. I can't decide.

2. AaronV

I was also under the impression that I'd look horrible with short hair and to be honest, you might need to try out a few different cuts to find one that will really suit you. In the end, it's just hair. You can cut it and if you really hate it you can cover it with a hat and wait for it to grow back.

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But is it not like... I really will not find a boyfriend if I cut my hair short? I also am not a big fan... I'd look as masculine as Anne Hatheway in "Interstellar". Which is quite feminine, I think? I don't plan to take hormones at any point. I myself ... I don't care one way or another about my hair. My mom keeps on talking that I should grow my hair out too, because it looks better than medium. On the other hand, I want to make a masculine impression? But I don't know if the hair works in my case. If short hair wouldn't be more like "She's against global warming and consumerism" than "That's a dude!"

4. Cinis

Cinis Guest

In my experience having short hair does help with people taking you for a dude (that is, if you wear the right clothes to go with it) since on first glance the association goes: short hair+ masculine clothes => guy.
    Though that is more of a first impression kind of thing and only works a fraction of the time (damn you feminine face shape!)
    If I were you, I wouldn't worry about being percieved as a political activist because their dude-ishness looks decidedly feminine ( though most of them don't seem to realize that...)
    What works for me most of the time is a middle lenghth hair balancing act that, ideally, doesn't make people go: long hair=> girl, while also hiding a bit of that annoyingly feminine faceshape in the process.
    But, hey, if you like your hair a certain way keep it like that. You should like the way you look (It's all futile once you open your mouth anyway...-.-' )

hope...that...helped?

5. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Don't really know about finding a boyfriend....I know that most guys I know don't mind short hair on a girl...but the full "masculine look" and identifying as a guy is usually not helpful when trying to get a straight guy and most gay ones are only down for a male body....so....(why aren't there more bi people in this world?)

#5 Cinis, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2017
  6. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. Try a few cuts. You may be surprised at what you get (in a good way!) Maybe, if you like the emo look, try getting some sort of layering to go with it. Emo hair is pretty androgynous, so closer to masculine and it can still be a quite long. A bit of both worlds.

Sebby

#6 Sebby45, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way I identify is really secondary here... although where it results from constitutes a big problem with cis-het dating. the way I behave tends to set guys in competition mode, and I don't like it if they try to flirt with me and treat me girly... you know "she might be tough, but she's a woman on the inside". *sigh* Good one, my friend... Good one... For some reason, men don't mind the clothes? I guess I just have a good body. IIIIII don't know... IIIII don't get it all. At all.

I don't know if the attractive thing about the long hair is the hair or the idea that your dating a girl. Maybe?

The only thing I worry about it the hair. Because quite honestly, I've seen strange things happen. I just don't seem to be able to build a long-term relationship. But maybe that's normal or guys my age are immature and hopeless datng material?

I also worry about this "fraction of a second". Fraction of a second is already how long I pass. I look quite androgynous even with the long hair.

Perception is all I worry about now LOL. To me, it's completely nonsencical, this whole topic of how you look.

I'll tell you what happened last year. I met a guy. I was wearing men's clothes head to toe. I had long hair... but leaving it alone... this guy invited me out and we dated for a while. But he treated me like a girl! Like a feminine girl! With feminine needs, wants, thoughts, likes and whatnot. I have no idea why! I want to avoid that.

If hair was unimportant, I'd go for chin length, because it's my favourite hairstyle. I love it. It feels so sexy and vibrant. Hell yeah.

Anyway, I don't think *identifying* as a guy is the obstacle, the obstacle is me objectively being one. I wouldn't like to pressure someone who would want to date someone who has a psyche of a woman into dating me, that would obviously be unfair, and also unpleasant for me.

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry I'm a tired mess rigth now, I might be writing over and over again the same things.

9. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But do you think shorter hair helps? Sigh. I hope.

Yep, medium might be good.
    Yeah, actually... a bit of both, that might be good :slight_smile:
    I'll give it a try. :slight_smile:
    Hair grows back fast so experimenting with it can be a possibility.

I don't know if my long hair isn't driving me bonkers at the moment. It got me a bit paranoid in the winter, when I had it long last time, because I saw a significant shift in how people interacted with me. Maybe it's the time to cut it. Hm. I wonder if that's the issue...

10. Maxandcheese

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have pretty curly hair, so I can't cut my hair that short even if I wanted too. A lot of times to try and get around this problem I'll grown out my hair long enough to pull it back in a ponytail or bun, but just enough to do so (so that the ponytail isn't super noticeable). Other times I'll just pull my hair up over the top of my head and put on a hat (usually a baseball cap in the summer and a beanie in the winter/indoors). That helps me look more masculine without having to cut my hair super short, and maybe in your case it could help you try out how you look with shorter hair and see if you like it before cutting it short!
    But besides that, I personally think that the most important factor in this decision should be you. If you like wearing your hair shoulder-length or even longer, then go ahead! Lots of guys rock long hair! And if your future boyfriend doesn't accept that, well then maybe that's a red flag of some sort. I'd say just do what makes you feel happiest with yourself!

11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually like hats, but you can't wear them all the time. I wear this short ponytail hairstyle a lot too :slight_smile: So... it does look masc?

*sigh* I'm just trying to solve this complicated series of equations in which I can stop being seen as a girl... at least in some way... I probably have nearly zero feel for how to make it work. I just ask in case, because when I did what I thought made me look masculine, nobody shared that opinion.

12. AaronV

I mean I met my first boyfriend with short hair and androgynous fashion style and he didn't mind and was into it. It all depends. In the end it shouldn't be your goal to style yourself in a way that'll get you a boyfriend, but in a way that makes you comfortable. If you like chin length, go with chin length. It is sadly nearly impossible to pass without testosterone or a masculine haircut and facial features, but if passing is not your priority right now, do what makes you feel good.

13. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay. So I asked my dad (mom is for long hair, whatever, i know her opinion) and he told me I don't look too different in one haircut versus another. So that's a relief.

I wouldn't say my passing is too bad (people thinking I'm MAAB), but I have trouble with making it clear that I don't feel like a girl / I'm not feminine. This friend also told me that he was surprised when I told him I feel like a dude, because I don't behave in those "typical ways", like moving in a distinctively masculine way, having short hair, talking about football and cars or whatnot. I hope you get what I mean? Like, I don't even know what to do.

14. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He also said I seem like a punk, whatever he meant... I guess that's not too bad?

15. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I mean...if you want to get the body language that's pretty easy. Just copy the guys around you and it'll become a habit with time.
    Don't really know about the rest. If you think about it a lot of the 'nerdier guys' don't behave in that stereotypical over the top masculine way either, so that's not really a requirement. I guess most guys are less hesitant about "political incorrect" jokes and showing affection through insults....they are also a bit less subtle and 'behind your back' than women.
    Confidence also seems to scream masculinity for some reason.

Though all in all you should try to remain true to yourself and not try to be a walking stereotype.

16. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He specifically said I don't move in a rectangular way, which I won't. I dwelled on the body language part some two years ago, and I stopped caring at some point. I kind of naturally have masculine body language, but not in a caricatural manner. Confidence is an issue on its own, and jokes and subtlety and talking behind the back. And yes I am a nerd *facepalms* I mean not really. I would totally get a motorcycle if I could and go back to martial arts, I don't like to study or dwell in games... I'm just a more aloof type, so to say, and I had good grades. It is confirmed that I just look as if I didn't give a flying fuck about anything. Which is true in many ways. I don't give a fuck. I'm above all the drama. Also if I don't know what to do, I default to "Look, that's cool... but I don't give a fuck", because it makes you in control of the situation. I go on the unhealthy side of not giving a fuck sometimes.

17. Hey, sorry that you're going through hair troubles. I have incredibly thick and curly hair, and a couple years ago, I had my mom (she's a hair stylist) cut it real short because I was tired of not only taking care of it, but reading as a woman. My mom was so concerned with keeping it "feminine," showing me videos of women with pixies and subtle highlights. I took out a picture of a man and said that's what I want! I was excited until she got down to cutting and she got emotional with the 8 to 10 inches of curls she was cutting off. Made it even harder for me. I donated the hair. Turns out she didn't go short enough with the cut but assured me that I should just "sleep on it," but I still wanted to take a few inches down so that my hair didn't appear so curly. Also she left a little whispy part at my nape that grew out to look slightly rediculous. I moved out shorty after and had my hair recut by my cousin who also shaved down my "sideburns" and took care of my neckline. That was a really good year until a partner convinced me to grow it back out (he was quite abusive I was in a very vulnerable place) and now it's back to almost the original length. I want to cut it again, because at this point it's just getting in the way when I throw on a hat and I hate having to put so much more time and thought into it. I never wear it down and have no intent to; even though I am petite and don't read too well as a man, I don't think I've ever wanted long hair personally, I don't really care about what others want for me because all that matters is my own perception of myself, my own satisfaction when I look in the mirror (god I don't mean for that to sound so selfish). Anyone who matters will like it too, long term dating wise and family. Anyways. I'm sorry that you're going through that. When I made the decision to cut my hair, it was more based on my personal wants rather than my perception of others, however I hope that you find something that is both comfortable for you and right socially. Good luck.

Mihael likes this.
  18. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your post. Thanks everyone.

*sigh* It's a wierd sentiment but I wish there was something very gendered out there, so that I could do it and be like... yeah, I'm a dude... but nothing is gendered and every difference in clothing, for example, comes down to emphasising certain body characteristics. Take t-shirts for example. The only difference between men's and women's t-shirts is which body parts they emphasise and what shape they flatter. I'm not after having a different body. I feel fine in my body. I like the way I look and I like looking like a girl. I'm not the odd one out in that, because for example my dad also had long hair when he was my age, and liked dressing like a rocker. I guess I inherited that. I mean... I like the look, not that it reads as a girl. The latter is a nightmare. I mean I don't even look like a girl too much, you know... People don't know how to adress me frequently. I sometimes get a "sir", even. It's just this stupid obsession going on in society that I must feel like a girl because ladybits. Or... something.

19. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cambria, that's pretty awful... the pixie cuts. Maybe I should move out too. I will have a chance in the summer. My parents are maybe not against me wearing men's clothes but they just have to comment and say I look ugly or that they feel uneasy about me being a guy. Even though I know it's not true that I look ugly, it gets to me badly. And even though I know I have no influence whatsoever on my gender.

You're right. Anyone who matters wouldn't care about such things.

20. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *hug*

cambria11rose likes this.