The "do I pass" thread

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Just Jess, Apr 16, 2014.

1. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree Tai, I think you look like a guy. If you are looking for anything to help, I'd say stick with stiffer shirts that'll hide any narrower waist you may have. (I couldn't really detect one in that picture, though)

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all! You boosted my confidence, haha. Unfortunately, that's one out of two of my good shirts. The rest of my clothes supply is androgynous T-shirts and two male sweaters. I'm not super curvy but curvy enough to where my hips look feminine if they're seen. Most of my shirts hide my hips pretty well.

Any other input is appreciated

4. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you pass pretty well, Tai. Also, I see that you're asian and I have the impression that there isn't much difference between genders in most asian people, so they can easily pass as whatever they like. You are lucky. :slight_smile:

5. Thingymajing

Riz: gosh, your face is so androgynous, you needn't worry! If you wanna be more masculine, there are a lot of hairstyles that make biofems look like guys in no time, and you have such an andro face you could pull of looking like a really beautiful girl, or a really handsome masculine guy, with no difficulty either way! In your purple dreadlock pic you look pretty and sorta coy with that tight-lipped expression, looking up at the camera like that. Then in your red-haired pics, your wide-eyed expression (exaggerated by the makeup) and lopsided smile make you look very manly and confident. The doctor who pic makes you look tomboyish with that boyish hairstyle, it makes your face look rounder, and the clothes (shorts are girly - and those shaven legs! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ). You are on the right track, but you must consider whether you wanna be andro or pass as male, because your weird clothes (awesome though they are - I personally admire your style and uniqueness!) will confuse people's notions of what a male "should" dress like. But you seem comfortable with your style, and you do pull it off well, so if you don't mind appearing androgyne to most you have no problem! If you ever feel you are more trans than andro, there is room for "improvement" clothing-wise, but I think you have definitely got the face to pass! :grin: It's just a matter of hair and clothes, which are superficial and therefor easy to change :slight_smile:

I hope my half-asleep ramblings were as flattering as I meant them, I just wanna assure you that you have no need to worry :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2015 at 12:35 AM ----------

Tai: I agree with all the comments on how masculine that hair style is. A little boyish, sure, but it isn't commonly a female hairstyle either.

Room for improvement? Well, based off that pic alone and therefor potentially completely unnecessary advice - make sure to stand with your legs spread a little wider, so there is space between your knees and feet, and make sure to keep your elbows from getting too close to your ribcage. Those two things are very powerful body language elements you can use to your advantage. But as I said I have only seen that one pic of you and for all I know your body language is already more masculine than most men's. So, take my advice only as you feel it necessary, and be confident that you are already more masculine than you are feminine!

6. Riz

Riz

I don't even know where to start, thank you! I had no clue my face was androgynous, for me it's just... weird.
    I'm trying more towards trans, but I realize what you say that keeping my style will probably make me more androgynous than masculine, and I guess that's alright.
    All but the "red" hair (it's actually mostly pink!) hair picture, (which is actually most recent) are not really trying to pass as either androgyne or masculine, since they're from when I still struggled as living my life as a woman.

I'm definitely gonna try and make parts of my style masculine, for days when I just can't handle being any traces of female.

Thank you again for your lovely answer!

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! I understand; Asian men seem to have a lot of feminine features, such as a round face, so I guess it could be seen as easier (although I want to get a bit more masculine than how I was in that picture).

---------- Post added 19th Jan 2015 at 03:14 PM ----------

ah, I'm fine with being boyish, as long as it's boy and not girl. ^^

I did realize before your comment that my posture is not that masculine in that photo; I had to stand kind of awkwardly on my tip-toes because I'm short and I wanted the pants to be in the photo (inexperienced with selfies, as you can see), and I was tired so I wasn't really caring about my posture. I usually stand a bit more masculine than that. Walking, however, I need to work on. Thanks for your advice!

I feel I'm insecure about my masculinity because everyone who has seen my new haircut knows me as a girl and says, "Wow, so cute!" Or "You're adorable/beautiful!" I have to awkwardly smile and say thanks to avoid being rude. But even though I was expecting to get that kind of reception I was hoping they wouldn't use such feminine adjectives. I assume it's because they know me as a girl and think I want to be acknowledged as one, when I actually don't.

8. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Can this thread also be used for genderfluid people/crossdressers who want to see if they pass? (I've been thinking about posting here, not sure yet :/ )

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Confuzzled82, I'd go for longer hair and a little smile, you've got the potential, there is definitely something very feminine about you.

Tai, I want your shoulders... Right now! :icon_bigg

... And KelsC... Oh, boy... I better don't write it down... Damn it, you are gorgeous :icon_redf

10. KayJay

I wouldn't see why not. Just let people know what you are going for and I'm sure you'll get lots of tips, compliments and comments :slight_smile:

Thank you very much! This is really the only place I hear that. Yay EC :slight_smile:

11. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly Lil bro, you look like a guy. There is no question about it, you totally pass. I think spiking your hair up would be a good look for you by the way :3 You could look online for some hairstyles you might like and show them to the hairdresser and let them know that's what you want :slight_smile: But you pass just fine with that haircut~! (*hug*)

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm working on the hair. And do you really want a cheesy smile? That's what you'd get if I smile for a picture.

13. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You looked tense to me. What comes to mind to lose up, as well as being feminine, was a smile... Cheesy? I don't know... I just know I had to force myself not to smile.

14. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  15. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmmm.... Everyone is always telling me to relax.... I don't know how.

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2015 at 09:28 PM ----------

Overall, I'd say you pass, but there were a couple of those that look just on the masculine side of androgynous, especially in thumbnail view.

16. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Tai, damn 100% pass
    Also I prefer more feminine guys, but you're sexy.

And yeah, you are beautiful. A beautiful young man.

17. RadioRoss

I'm in a bit of a weird place right now with gender. I'm biologically female, and I'm questioning my gender -of course- but I know i want to come across as more masculine. I know I don't pass at all, but here are some photos anyway...any tips would be helpful :astonished:

IMG_20150204_185659~2.jpg IMG_20150204_185115~2.jpg

18. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, you do appear pretty masculine!

19. PossumJack

You're getting there, but your eyes are rather feminine. I'd say you look much more masculine when wearing glasses because they make your eyes look smaller.

20. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess there were bound to be a couple xD I'm glad some of the pictures passed ^^ It's my first attempt diving into eyeliner/shadow and lipstick xP Thanks! ^.^