1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best approach for dealing with this guy

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by StarHealer, Aug 27, 2016.

1. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I "spoke" with him today, but it's far from resolved. I needed to do some training, which I already knew how to do, but pretended I needed his help. He was acting nervous/standoffish.

I was asking him questions and he got called to the front and that was that. He was busy. So I wrote a note (yeah yeah) and handed it to him. He said "thanks", then when I stayed there looking at him, he read it. Only reading the first part "Sorry for my behavior", He just nodded and said "Okay. Thanks for that." Then I was just looking at him some more and he read the rest, "Should I bother talking to you anymore?"

He just said, "It's up to you.. ", I laughed and he said it a couple more times. I must have had a look on my face, cause he was like "Should we go talk", but I knew he was too busy, so I just said "We'll talk on Saturday". He nodded.

So Saturday.

#41 StarHealer, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah. He's being very defensive. I'm not even bringing up our "talk", but he's being all defensive with everything I'm saying.

So yeah, Fuck this shit man.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very sorry to hear that things couldn't have gone much more amicably between the two of you, Starhealer.:icon_sad:

If you told him everything that you felt that you needed to tell him, that should at least help you get closure...

#43 Quantumreality, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  4. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The very first thing that he said to me was that he exploded out our General Manager the other day. This is now the third time this has happened. He also, according to him, completely cussed him out. He's had meetings with the District Manager twice now, because of these outbursts. I have to assume that this isn't going to go too well for him and that at the very least, he's getting a transfer or at the most, terminated.

I did feel like saying "Well, you left it up to me and I decided I don't give a fuck anymore.", but that probably wouldn't help.

I've decided the best course of action is to just go back to ignoring him. He's worthless to me and I just don't have the energy to deal with him any more.

I no longer wish to talk about this anymore.

Thank you everyone.

#44 StarHealer, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  5. Keith83

Ok so first of all and most importantly - how was Britney!!!! :slight_smile:
    Secondly you said he's 30 and surely he's figured himself out at this stage. I'm 33 and bi but only really figured that out over last few years even though I was with a guy in a relationship years ago I had somehow convinced myself I was straight. But Im just making the point who knows at what stage he is with accepting being guy or straight or bi - doesn't sound like he knows himself. So I think the most important thing is to ask yourself at this point have you any interest left in him? If not then I think people are right - just ignore him but at the same time u need to get things to a place where u can work with him without him being such a jerk. If you are interested then I really think you need to seriously sit down and have a proper, open, honest conversation with him and find out what the hell is going on - tho there is a part of me that feels maybe you should do that either way so you at least know what's going on. But you'll have to judge the situation and decide what's right cos it's a tricky one for sure! Let us know how things go!

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2016 at 11:35 PM ----------

Oops hadn't seen your very last line - my bad - ignore!!!

#45 Keith83, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  6. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just to close this out, I guess. I just need to do this. I'm a giant mess. Sorry if this bothers people.

He put his two weeks in. In light of this I decided to just be civil. It's been very hard, because it started out normally enough, but it's gotten really hard for me over time. He seemed relieved to be talking to me again and it's like nothing happened (literally though, literally nothing).

The way he told me he was quitting was so messed up. It was like he wanted me to be upset in some way. I'd think he'd be relieved to be leaving a job he hated, but he sounded very upset as he told me. Later I was saying I was glad he was at least going to be a manager at this new job and as I told him, he came across so weirdly (sad? like I was falling right into his attention needing trap?).

As time went on, he then randomly decides to bring up things about our past and memories he has about us and things I never thought he'd remember or care about. Especially based on how he seemed to forget so many things from before.

Whatever, I guess. The crappy part is that he visually cringes when I start to say, anything. He doesn't want me to go there I guess.

I did get him to finally talk about his girlfriend. So that makes me somewhat happy, that he was finally acknowledging her existence. Though he was talking all this crap about her and her family. It's like he just tolerates her and barely likes her. Really really really sad. He seems to find something wrong with everything in his life. He's very critical of everything. It's just so sad.

Just a couple more days. Then it's finally over. Hopefully. He does still live right down the street and I still live in the same city and we go to the same places. . .

In the meantime. My goals for the future and moving on.

I have a friend that offered me a job opportunity and I think I really need to jump on it. Get me out of that building. Do something that is more worthwhile and will pay me way more money.

I need to get my application in, so I can begin my work on my Masters program.

Once that's done, apply to every college everywhere and hopefully get hired.

I honestly hope to move far away from where I live and just start all over again.

#46 StarHealer, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish you the best of luck, StarHealer!:slight_smile:

8. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Starhealer,

I know I'm joining this party late and hope you get to move job and start afresh.

I will just make one point and it's a critical one I'm afraid. I think you need to really reflect on how you have handled this situation. While he sounds like he has had difficulty in dealing with the possibility of being attracted to you which explains his behaviour (even if it doesn't justify it), your behaviour has not been particularly mature. You don't seem to have ever had a conversation with him about your feelings, trying to speak to him at work is almost bound to fail because you cannot spend as much time as you need to speak to him with any real privacy. Ignoring him, antagonising him by laughing in his face, hitting him and throwing stuff at him are not going to help you resolve anything. I understand it is frustrating that he doesn't seem honest but you are comfortably out and you haven't exactly sought to establish any communication. You yourself said that you two haven't really communicated but you haven't tried to speak to him in an adult and direct manner. I dated (sort of) a guy who wasn't comfortable with his sexuality and it really ruined me but I spoke to him honestly about how I felt about him and when he didn't reciprocate it hurt me a lot but I knew I needed to end it. You haven't even tried that or tried to find out how he views the situation. It's an extremely difficult situation on both sides so please don't think that I am blaming you or anything but I do think that if you had had a conversation with him earlier on you would have been able to bring to the situation to an end or at least you would know whether he was ready to explore his feelings or not. If not then you could have begun to move but without that conversation you two have both had to rely on your own interpretations of each others behaviour and, because of the emotions involved, your perceptions of each other will have been coloured by how upset or happy you both felt.

So to reiterate, I think you need to think about how you handled things and how you handle the uncertainty for someone's feelings for you in a better way if something similar happens again. I hope that you can move on from this and find someone who you can be happy with and I wish you luck in that but I also hope that you can learn from this whole unpleasant experience to help you in future relationships.

P.S. Again, I'm not attaching blame to either of you but I may have come off as a bit judgemental in this post. I hope that, even if I have, you can see the point I'm trying to make.

9. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To come to my own (ridiculous) defense, when he "welcomed me back" and I started throwing things at him and hitting him, it was in a flirty way. I was back, he was right. I was just like "I hate you!" and he'd giggle.

It was then after that day, he left for a week again and when he came back it's like he suddenly didn't want anything to do with me, and then we fell out.

He clearly is really uncomfortable talking about anything gay or whatever had happened. He looks like he's gets mad or wants to hit me or something.

In my opinion, it was just something that was happening, for him. He probably didn't want a relationship, but didn't know how else to go about it, being used to only dealing with girls. I think he just wanted to hook up, but it got out of hand.

Or maybe "straight" guys are just super gay with their "close" friends and I've really been out of the loop, since I'll never have that sort of relationship.

I probably don't know anything. . . .

Also, just to be sure, the way he's currently acting makes me think he's done with me on every level and that he's just being nice for the same reason I am, cause we're probably never going to see each other ever again.

#49 StarHealer, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  10. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey StarHealer,

Please don't start getting down on yourself again. You are finally ready to move on, so please try not to dwell on this or let it hold you back.

Straight guys are not usually 'super gay' in any way with their 'close' friends. Most of my friends are straight and very comfortable with their sexuality. Some will often hug me hello and goodbye, hold me when I need comforting - and I do the same for them - and even do what amounts to cuddling with me on some rare occasions, but nothing about any of it is sexual - it's purely about comforting a friend.

I think you actually know quite a lot and you've learned even more from this experience. Don't sell yourself short.

Take Care.:slight_smile:

11. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Starhealer,

I completely accept what you are saying about him - but the fact you didn't speak to him and your mutual ignoring of each other left you both in a situation where you were trying to interpret what each thought and felt. He was not in a position to be clear about what he wanted but you are - so by virtue of being comfortable with your sexuality, you were able to deal with things in a clear and direct way when he wasn't. I'm not saying you are at fault for not doing so or that it would have made a difference but out of the two of you, you were the only one who had the capacity to tackle things directly.

I just think it might be useful for you think about how you respond to behaviour like that for the future.

12. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, for the first time I feel so light and happy about all of this!

I have closure. I got to say the two things I really wanted to say to him today.

First, I told him that I hope that whatever happens in his life, that he ends up being happy with whatever career he ends up getting and that it fulfills him and gives him meaning and purpose, and also for the rest of his life in general. He agreed.

Second, I said "Whatever had happened before. . . , it just got way to serious and out of control/out of hand and that nothing about this is serious!" he said "It's just work" and I was like, "you know, before..." "it's just work...". So I said "I'm your friend. . . , or I hope I am..." and he's like 'you are'.

So I just finished it with "That's all I was going to say to you, that one day we were supposed to talk. That Saturday, when I was like, we need to talk. That's all I was going to say to you that day. That this just isn't that serious." He just smiled and said "Oh yeah, I forgot about that. . ."

After that he seemed so much lighter and happier toward me then he has in a long long time. So, I'm glad no matter what ends up happening, it's ending on a positive note and I can move on either way.

I never get to have closure like this, so I'm just so fucking happy right now!

:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

13. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Way to go, Starhealer! I'm truly happy for you!:grin:

14. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Starhealer,

That's great news. I'm glad you spoke to him and got some closure on it. I hope you can see why I was so keen on the idea of talking.

Anyway, that's great news and I'm really glad you got it resolved and are feeling much better. :slight_smile:

15. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Today was his last day. We didn't really work, just mostly talked all day.

All throughout the day he kept saying that he wouldn't probably ever come back and that he was happy to never see anyone again, but he caught himself. So I said, "Look. I deal in reality. Okay? So, cause I caught you there, you stopped yourself. If we never see each other again, I understand. It's reality. I'm not happy about it, but I understand". He said nothing, just smiled at me.

When he had to go to lunch, I knew that was it. I wouldn't be seeing him again. So I was like:

"Well, I goodbye then. . ." and surprised he said "Yeah???" and I was like "Well... I mean... I don't..." and he's smiling at me. Then he raises his hand and we shake and he says "Well, see you around StarHealer." Then we let go and then he grabs me in a hug. I only do a half hug and he starts to let go, but I grab him back and we're straight up holding each other tightly.

So then he's walking away and I blurt out "I can still text you though, of course? Random check ups? Funny vids and stuff?" and he says "Yeah, of course."

Then he left.

I went to my friend, who had come in at that point and just cried.

Oh well.

Now I need to concentrate on getting a better job.

Thank you all for reading this journey. I don't think there's much else to say now.

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2016 at 07:57 PM ----------

For some reason I can't edit.... the line should read:

"Well, I..., goodbye then..." and surprised, he said..."

16. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moving on and moving forward is often hard, StarHealer, but without him around, that will be easier for you.

Best of luck!:slight_smile:

17. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad you two were able to end on a positive and amicable note even though it upset you. Hope the future goes well for you.

18. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ahem. . . !

Obviously this thread should be done. But since that last day, a whole bunch has happened. Just want to dump this shit somewhere, so I don't go insane.

A co-worker of mine, who was about to quit, decided to tell me that Nick and a female co-worker of ours had been hooking up in the back room for a while. So of course that kind of freaked me out. Then all these rumors started to spread about her and Nick/Nick and I. It was a nightmare.

That female co-worker then went and said that I was the one spreading the rumors. But it was all hushed up, because there was no proof and "she was willing to forgive me". It turned out she was the one telling everyone. They all told me that she had asked them about Nick and was spreading everything. Fucking psycho.

In the midst of this, I was texting him and it was all good for a while. When all the rumors started, I was so freaked out that someone would tell him. The last time I texted him was Dec 20th. Then I figured that I had better stop texting.

So fast forward to a week ago, and I guess he came into the store. Which means that he hadn't heard anything (and I stopped talking to him for no reason).

That female co-worker was the one who helped him, but I guess it was a normal transaction. So lucky me. She didn't tell him anything.

I am glad I stopped texting him, it probably wasn't healthy.

I wrote a play based on all of this and of course it was picked to be produced at my school. So it's a little painful to have to keep going over it.

It's called Heretic.

#58 StarHealer, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  19. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Starhealer,

I'm sorry to hear about what that female co-worker did. It was absolutely deplorable.

Perhaps with writing about it in the play and what you wrote here, you can get some closure and try to move on.

I wish you all the best!:slight_smile:

20. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Starhealer-I just read much of your story here...though I know it's from a few months ago. Anyway, I have been in those kinds of vague, undefined relationships in my life too(especially when I was younger)--where the whole relationship is SOMETHING, but at the same time it's not ANYTHING. Just thought I would share a quote that I found somewhere that helped me a lot, and has helped me now in avoiding this sort of relationship dynamic in the first place...

'Never put yourself in a situation where you are not sure of where you stand in a person's life.'

So simple but such wise advice! I always keep it in mind.

Best of luck with your play!