1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Tennessee passes "religious freedom" bill to allow bullying

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Jinkies, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Zeta Male

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I went to that school I would convert to Satanism SO fast.
    "These are the wednesday morning announcements.
    For lunch today, we will be having hamburgers with a side of tatertots.
    If you still want to attend the pep rally on saturday, remember to purchase your tickets before the Friday morning 8 AM deadline. Also, don't forget to worship the great Lucifer, king of the flies, and ruler of the underworld, as your lord and savior. Now, please join me in a prayer. *Starts chanting in Latin*"
    The moment they said I couldn't worship Satan over the intercom, Id sick the ACLU all over their asses.

2. DoriaN

What's funny to me is that Satan and hell came from the Bible, Lucifer is a product of Judaism/Christianity, and he is categorically the loser. Spoiler for the end.

3. Zeta Male

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, but not knowing anything about your own religion is custom in Tennessee, right? :grin:

4. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    I just read a comment by someone who said that if he were an employer and saw a resume from someone that graduated in Tennessee he would automatically throw it away.

Not everyone is bigoted and ignorant in Tennessee. Just because we're taught in this state doesn't mean we agree with everything. We're not all sheep, following blindly.

5. Simple Thoughts

Hence the acknowledgement of it being a negative comment.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does this mean you can beat up a homophobe if you feel your religion teaches you to not stand for bigotry?

7. IG88

Sadly yes. Religious freedoms should be protected, but in this case it's Christians focusing on the condemning part over the loving part of the Bible. [Side note: the Bible doesn't encourage condemnation, it sometimes lists certain vices not to do, and people take the liberty to point this out to others in an extreme way].

I'd love it if their town got an influx of Wiccans or Muslims who express their beliefs and the whole thing backfires on them. :roflmao:

8. DoriaN

When a person does wrong, it's always bad, but two wrongs do not make a right.
    That kind of mentality is toxic and can just spread the issue.
    I understand what you mean, revenge does taste sweet for a while, but be careful is all.

9. Simple Thoughts

I think he was meaning more of a 'karma' than really revenge.

The idea being that they do this to force Christianity on people, and instead it winds up causing a different faith to be forced on them.

The classic backfiring of evil plans =p

10. Theron

Dear Tennessee,

Some of the very FIRST laws in the country were laws of religious freedom. They were made to PREVENT cruelty by other religions. You have now bastardized those religious freedoms to use them to COMMIT cruelty. Thank you for violating basic human protections.

-Theron

11. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I suppose if they do kick up a fuss when a non Christian preaches about their religion in a school it'll expose the fact that this bill is solely about protecting and expanding Christian privilege.

Still worrying that in 2014 it's still acceptable to discriminate if there's a Christian basis for said discrimination. It's also hypocritical considering those same people raise merry hell whenever Christians are attacked in other countries.