1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Tennessee passes "religious freedom" bill to allow bullying

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Jinkies, Mar 26, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is because the bible has bee misinterpreted by scholars and used by ministers to brainwash or scare their parishioners. Hateful preaching does more to harm people and turn them away from religion than it helps. I did not become closer to God until I officially left the Catholic Church and became against organized religion. If you looked at religion and the bible from a pro-gay perspective you would probably think differently. I understand how you feel about this though and I am sorry about the situation you were in. My grandpa was a homophobic conservative catholic and I cannot stand him. Homophobic and ministers and toxic to our cause.

2. DoriaN

It is written, that unbelievers will have trouble reading it, and not necessarily because of what is written.

Honestly, I would say for every person that they should read Psalms and Proverbs, much of the world's wisdom that was plagiarized came from it, the material in it is beneficial to the secular and religious alike.
    Then, if you want to understand what Christians believe there is the new testament.

One of the biggest problems is that some 'Christians' cherry pick verses from both the old and new testament, take it out of context, and use it for evil.

On behalf of Christians, for what it's worth, I apologize. No one is perfect, but bad eggs and representatives can certainly put a poor image of the whole.
    I mean, I bet so many LGBT people get upset when another LGBT person says it's a choice, right? But now, it's be wrong to assume everyone is a liar and that it is a choice, condemning the whole, like I sadly see from these very same people who profess so much that they are discriminated against, when the pot is calling the kettle black..

Plain and simply, all factions will not necessarily show all sides, the head on the one side of the coin does not reveal what the tail is.

3. Simple Thoughts

It's about more than homophobia...it's also pretty pro-rape. God commands people to rape women at several points in the bible.

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2014 at 04:43 PM ----------

I'm acknowledging this, but I'll have to respond in a bit.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If religious stuff was being taught at my school, my dad would probably pull me out of school...

That's an evil bill...

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is true. However the bible was written by man and not by God. Like I said before the bible was misinterpreted and rewritten so much of it is inaccurate. For a accurate portrayal of what the bible really says you need to either be a bible scholar or listen to the many bible scholars who researched the original bible page by page. The original text of the bible was not in english. I know for some that may dispute the belief that there is a god but there so much evidence out there that proves his existence also.

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2014 at 12:50 PM ----------

It is. Religion does not belong in schools. We live in diverse county were all religious beliefs should be respected and one religion should not be enforced in schools because out of respect for religious diversity. The south is still behind the times on so many issues and and I am so happy I at least live in Charleston West Virginia which is not as homophobic as farther south or the rural ares.

6. Simple Thoughts

Just so you know I wasn't trying to spark an 'is god real' debate or anything.

I was mainly just pointing out 'people are inclined to evil' is a terrible mindset to have.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah I just became aware of that. I don't wanna get this thread off topic so let's get back to the real issue here. Sorry to all for getting off topic.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always found it sad that people are always looking for ways to get their religion in the classroom so that they can "save others". There are many religions here, and they deserve to be respected. This would not happen, since most likely it would only be Christianity that made it into the classroom. I hope that this goes down in flames, so that other states that want to do this can learn from their failure.

9. Simple Thoughts

agreed =3

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't bully me but let me bully you all I want and tell you how to live . But let me live how I want to live be a big bully and hide behind the bible to discriminate against who want .

11. Reddy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sodom and Gomorrah...maybe....but Leviticus? "Saint" Paul? Just becuase it doesn't use the 19th century psycho-medical jargon "homosexual" doesn't mean it is any less clear to what these passages are referring.

Also, the smarmy "love everything and everybody" Jesus of the late 20th & 21st C christianity is a very recent phenomenon and not even a particularly well supported one at that, scripturally.

12. apostrophied

Yeah, me.

This is the exact type of comment that has alienated me from the gay community in the past, and still alienates me today. Where's all the "tolerance," "acceptance," and "open-mindedness"?! One receives what one gives.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I already got this discussion off topic so let's try not to get away from the real issue this topic is about.

Jesus is the heart of the new testament and if you watch the movies about him dying on the cross you will see that is the Christ depicted in the bible. Give me evidence to show otherwise by messaging me on my wall. I don't wanna derail this thread like I probably already have.

14. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Bill should be renamed the "protecting religious/Christian privilege bill."

I'll give you any money all merry hell will break loose if a Muslim student starts preaching about Islam in schools because of this bill.

15. Beetle

I was thinking the same thing.

16. BelleFromHell

To quote the great words of Professor Farnsworth: I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaY9k6tuLog[/YOUTUBE]

17. Stripe101

18. TheShyGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Copying my opinion from the other thread...

I think this sums it up...

"I don't know how you feel, but I'm pretty sick of these church people."

Ok, yes, I know all Christians, Catholics, whatevers aren't like this, but all the religious bullcrap I hear and see all the time, especially in school living in a conservative area, is ridiculous. I hate that people are taking their lives away and going into depression over things like this.

/endrant

19. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    As a Tennessean, I'm really disappointed but not in the least shocked. I'm so glad I've been out of high school for 6 years. Though my sister is pansexual and a Junior right now, so I really worry about her. My high school wasn't that bad about the LGBT. Depends where you're at in Tennessee, I've had people call me a dyke, ask if I was a guy, or flat out say that being gay is disgusting and a sin and that gay people will go to Hell, but the majority of my school was fairly accepting from what I saw. I never told anyone I was anything but straight, because my sexuality has never been a big deal to me. I am what I am.

Tennessee also tried to pass a bill to allow businesses to discriminate and refuse service to anyone who they suspected was LGBT.

Things like this are the reason I'm even afraid to go out to a bar by myself, especially a gay club. Things like this are the reason I'm afraid to present as a guy, especially when I have my kids with me. Why I was afraid to talk to my psychologist about my gender dysphoria. Etc. I love Tennessee for various reasons, but I wish it would step up and be more accepting. I wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee would be one of the last states to legalize same sex marriage.

20. girlonfire

So....what happened to separation of church and state....