1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to family about accessory/jewelry preferences

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BothWaysSecret, Nov 8, 2018.

1. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some of you may have seen me mention a few times in the past, either in posts or threads, that I like the look of, and have wanted to get a few anklets/ankle bracelets for myself.

Well, I bought one from Ebay. It came today in the mail. I've been wearing it all day since I got it. In fact, I'm wearing it as I type this. The problem is I have been hiding it from my family. Luckily it's the time of year for long pants and blankets, so I can conceal it well under those.

I know I'm going to have to eventually tell my family about it, because they're eventually going to see me wearing it. I'm worried about what they'll think of it. See, I feel like they would view an anklet as something only girls would wear (and in a majority of cases, that's true). They're fine with the rest of my jewelry (a chain, a couple rings, and a few bracelets) but this is something I could see them having a problem with, particularly my dad.

In a way, I guess a part of me still views it as a girly accessory too. I just don't know how to explain to them that this is something I want to wear. I'm worried that they'll think I'm gay (I mean, I AM bisexual, but nowhere near ready to tell them that yet) or want to be a girl. I don't. I'm just a guy who happens to like an accessory typically seen as feminine. I don't know why I am so worked up over it. Just a few months ago there was a contestant on a reality game show we all watch and that contestant was a guy who wore an anklet (but then again, he was a lifeguard, and they tend to be the type to wear them). Not sure if they ever noticed that he wore one, but I did.

What should I say to them? Should I casually bring up the subject of guys wearing anklets and see what they say? How should I handle the small part of myself that thinks it's kind of weird?

Love4Ever likes this.
  2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I should also add that they're pretty much pro-LGBT, and they also believe that it's perfectly acceptable for a boy to play with toys usually marketed towards girls, as well as a few other things. At least my mom and sister are anyway; never really talk about that kind of stuff with my dad so I don't know what he thinks.

They're just still old-fashioned in certain viewpoints, and I feel like 'guys shouldn't wear anklets' is one of them.

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I wore mine in high school my mom thought it was weird but all I had to say was 'I wear it because girls think it's hot' and she left me alone about it. You could try the same thing and just say it's a modern fashion thing that girls like on guys.

Biguyjosh and BothWaysSecret like this.
  4. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was also thinking I could bring up the guy from the show. I could be like "Hey, remember Tyler from Big Brother? He wears one and I liked his style so I was thinking of getting one to try it out. What do you guys think?" Then get their reaction from that.

I'm also trying to google male celebrities that have worn one to back up my claims, but I'm not having a lot of luck finding anything there.

#4 BothWaysSecret, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Shorthaul and Destin like this.
  5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Describe the anklet to me. Is it a really shiny, blingy type of thing or is more casual looking? I think a lot will depend on what it looks like.

6. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The one I purchased is just a basic, sterling silver one. Nothing exciting. Looks exactly like these: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vfgAAOSwKIpWDrux/s-l1600.jpg. I just have one instead of three. Does that one look too flashy?

I've also wanted to get this one: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61yKtFS4XeL._SY500_.jpg. I think it's a bit more understated than the first, and therefore more casual-looking, even though both of them are pretty simple.

7. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't say as I notice those types of accessories on anyone no matter their gender. Unless it is pointed out to me, though I think I have seen guys wearing something like the rope or corded one in the second image.

BothWaysSecret likes this.
  8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm being honest the first anklet looks a bit more feminine and might cause more issues than the second.

9. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's what I was afraid of. Darn it! I don't know what to do.

10. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my point of view since you already wear some other pieces of jewelry I don’t think wearing an anklet would be a big deal.

I want to get a new bracelet, I haven’t worn one in years. I used to wear a necklace, rings and bracelets but stopped at some point.

What type of shoes do you wear with an anklet? Seems like it would have to be a slip on or sandal or something.

11. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you like it you should wear it, own it, and don’t make it a big deal. If it has to be an issue let someone else make it an issue, chances are people won’t care too much.

Love4Ever and BothWaysSecret like this.
  12. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah but the other stuff I wear alot of guys also wear.

I've seen people wear sandals/flip flops or different kinds of sneakers (usually Vans or Converse, but any non-high top sneaker would work), or slip on shoes with an anklet.

13. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, I’ve seen quite a few guys with anklets but they were like hippie festival guys and the anklet was probably made out of hemp lol.

Now that I look at my ankle I can see how it would work with most low top shoes.

So have you decided anything? Are you wearing it?

14. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's what I mean. In men's fashion, the anklet seems to have been reserved to certain groups, usually lifeguards/people who live in beach towns, hippies, and I've seen some skaters wear them as well. I'm none of those.

I wore it out today with low sneakers. Funny thing was, my sock came right up to where the anklet rests on my ankle, so it was basically resting on my sock all day.

I am currently wearing it, have been since it arrived in the mail. I've just been hiding it under really long pants and blankets because I don't know how my family would take it. That's why I have to talk to them about it.

15. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obviously you know them best but I would probably just wear it around them and see how that goes rather than talk to them about it specifically/making an announcement.
    That’s just me and I don’t know them but you said they are basically pro lgbt so it can’t go too terribly.

16. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll have to decide if I want to just spring it on them or tell them.

It's ironic really. My mom and sister are pro-LGBT for the most part, but yet I am not out to them as bisexual. I don't know why.

Different topic for a different thread I guess...

#16 BothWaysSecret, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Totesgaybrah likes this.
  17. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hadn't thought about this but yea you're right. They weren't really all that uncommon in my beach town, and as for the shoes question, we didn't wear shoes at all a lot of the time since we could just walk to the beach from our houses anyway and chill there. The anklet was much more visible that way. In Ohio and Texas though I don't think I ever saw anyone wearing one... so I guess location does have a lot to do with how accepted they are.

18. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think they're a fashion statement so go ahead and wear it and just say its an accessory piece to go with your chains and rings.

19. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your input! :slight_smile:

Plus it matches with most of my other jewelry. With the exception of my bracelets (which are varying materials, usually rope or leather), all of my jewelry is gray/silver in color. So it's like an overall uniform look.

Love4Ever and Biguyjosh like this.
  20. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I've decided to just wear it and see if they notice. If they say anything, I'll just say "I've always liked the look and wanted to try it out."