1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to family about accessory/jewelry preferences

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BothWaysSecret, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just a thought: do you think you're ready to come out to your sister? Trust her with your secret, tell her NOBODY else knows, and sort of bring that up as a sidebar to your worry about your anklet?
    To me, it seems like your sister may be your best person to come out to first.
    By the way, I really like your taste in ankle jewelry!

2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you!

No, I don't think I'm ready to come out to my sister. For one thing, telling her nobody else knows would be a lie, as a few of my friends already know. Second, despite being pro-LGBT, she and my mother have said some things in the past that imply they are confused about bisexuality, and don't fully understand it. They fully accept lesbianism, gay, and transgenderism, but not bisexuality.

Plus, I'd find it weird to have my sister keep this big huge secret which turns out to be that I'm wearing a chain around my ankle.

But thanks again for liking my taste in ankle jewelry! :grin:

3. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want an anklet now. .

Love4Ever likes this.
  4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would just tell them. Because if you hide it, it makes them think you're hiding it because you're embarrassed. If you show them it openly and don't make a big deal out of it than they are less likely to comment on it. I actually think anklets look super hot on guys. So go for it!

#24 Love4Ever, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    BothWaysSecret and Brandy Bee like this.
  5. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just viewed the images of them. They're both very nice. The first one is more feminine looking but I really like it.

BothWaysSecret likes this.
  6. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm planning in the next few days to just have it exposed on my leg and see if they notice. Do you think it'd be better to tell them, or just have it out in the open and see if they spot it?

I've also always found them hot on guys, partly because it's something you don't see often. But more guys should do it, especially if they have nice looking legs (I don't have hot legs, but still like the look)

7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would just leave it out I think. And if they comment just say you bought it and you like the way it looks

BothWaysSecret likes this.
  8. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you don't make a big deal out of it, I doubt they will.

9. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wanted to give everyone an update: after a little more than a month of me wearing it, my mom finally noticed it earlier tonight while she, my sister and I were watching television. I was very nonchalant about it when she asked, mentioning that I wanted to try it out, and referencing the guy on Big Brother who wore one.

However I did also ask her "Do you think it looks girly? I didn't tell you guys about it because I didn't know how you'd react." Her response? "That's up to you." I then said "But what do YOU think about it?" She said "Well, guys wear earrings, so why not?". I was so relieved that she had a seemingly positive response to it.

My sister said nothing. She just took a picture of my ankle, sent the photo to myself and my mother on Snapchat with the caption: "What are we, in 1998?" which resulted in my mother snorting in laughter. So I guess my sister is cool with it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nothing else was said or done about it so I assume all is good with them. However, during the conversation, my mother mentioned that my dad probably wouldn't be too happy about it, and I agreed. He's the type of guy who believes boys shouldn't play with dolls; that type of stuff. So I still have to keep it hidden around him, and most likely the extended family for the time being.

I'm just so happy that it's out there now and that my mom and sister aren't bothered by it. Internally, I was terrified the entire conversation, worried about what they thought. But I think my external casual approach about it made the whole thing easier.

#29 BothWaysSecret, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  10. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great! I think we all have a tendency sometimes to make things so much bigger in our mind than they really are, don't we?
    One question: is your dad ok with boys playing with "action figures"? A doll by any other name, is still a doll.

11. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, most of the doll-like action figures we owned (such as hand-me-down GI Joes) became part of my sister's Barbie collection as male companions, since she only had one Ken and numerous different Barbies. Oddly, the one I kept for myself resembled more of a Ken than an action figure. It was a doll of a popular 90's/early 2000's singer whose music I was really into at the time, complete with a tour bus. I don't really remember my dad's reaction to it, but eventually it also became part of my sister's doll collection as I got older. Granted, I did play Barbies with my sister mainly because we were the only two kids in the house so it's not like she had any other siblings to play with, plus I sometimes got bored with my own toys. My dad never said anything outright to me, but I remember my mom mentioning on a few occasions that he wasn't happy that I was playing with Barbies. He never seemed to look at it as just a kid playing with toys with his sister.

Most of my action figures were smaller toys, like 6 inches and shorter. They were usually superheros or Star Wars characters, or various different movie character toys. I also had an entire collection of Simpsons action figures that I played with as well.

#31 BothWaysSecret, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Brandy Bee likes this.