1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sitting with legs crossed does it make you look gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gingerblond93, Dec 30, 2013.

1. biggayguy

I don't think it's reliable at all. William F. Buckley (the conservative columnist) sits with his legs crossed all the time.

2. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More often than not, I cross my legs ankle over knee, but sometimes I do it thigh over thigh because I find it comfortable.

3. AlamoCity

I cross my legs with my knee crossed over the other knee, but that's only when I'm wearing a suit. It just looks more dignified. When I'm wearing shorts, jeans, or anything else, I will simply place one leg's ankle over the knee of the other leg.

I think it depends on the situation because guys with suits tend to look more professional with knee-over-knee position sitting.

4. Gen

Gen

I don't trust the stereotype fact, but I understand the connection its making. These examples are a bit big so I'll put them in spoilers.

When you have an individual that has a strong lack of masculine qualities, and/or may have a prevalent presence of feminine qualities, there are certain things that may make that individual look more feminine than it would compared to a more masculine individual. For instance, when I were bright colors, or even a rich purple, I look more feminine and stereotypical. I find it completely untrue that men, in general, appear more feminine when they wear colorful attire; however, when a male already comes across as feminine or has already shown stereotypical characteristics of a gay male, colorful attire will only magnify the impression he is giving off.

Leading to leg-crossing with some of the examples below. Yes, they are all doing the exact same thing, but there is a slightly different feel that each of these examples gives off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you already carry a softer demeanor; if you already come across as non-masculine or carry feminine characteristics; if you already exhibit stereotyped tendencies, then yes, crossing your legs will only add on to those assumptions.

The point is that none of the stereotypes surrounding sexuality or expression are going to skyrocket you from one extreme to another. Though should you be an individual who exhibits a few stereotypes of being feminine or a homosexual, then doing things such as sitting with your legs crossed, wearing more feminine attire, speaking if your hands more will only add to the way you come across.

So, it isn't explicitly that it does or doesn't. It is subjective. I hope that makes sense.

5. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I cross my legs too. In fact I'm doing it right now, lol. I had picked it up from seeing my mother and grandmother do it. I naturaly knew that it was a more girly thing, thpugh nobody has ever told me this. It's fine if you cross your legs, do whatever the hell you want.

6. Kodama

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree in that this is a stereotype. There may be people who perceive this position as feminine, but others probably won't even notice and/or won't care.

This it to everyone: No matter what gender and orientation you are, I would just say sit however you are most comfortable, and don't worry about how you're perceived. Do with your body whatever you want if it's what makes you comfortable. Society can choose to view it how they please, and some can even try to deny you doing it, but you should never sacrifice your own comfort because of society and its presumptions. Why should a person not be able to SIT a certain way? It's a position, for pete's sake.

7. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not really. Men sit like that all the time. It does give a more feminine manner of presentation though. However, a lot of guys still do it who aren't gay at all. I may find myself sitting like that occasionally but not that often. It isn't really something to think a whole lot of or about though. It definitely isn't a sign of whether or not someone is gay.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have ever seen coverage of UK parliamentary debates, you will notice that almost every male MP sits with crossed legs. It's just a comfortable way to sit. I do it all of the time.

9. Ryu

Ryu

Who came up with this? It seems like he stereotype factory is running out of stereotypes, so they lob this piece of ballocks in hoping people will buy it, but oh no. Not me. Not today.

10. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so. When my dad sits down he crosses thigh over thigh. I can't do the same. I cross Ankle on Knee only because I'm fat :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. It's uncomfortable for me to do thigh on thigh and keep it there for a long time. :grin:.

So I don't think that's a gay stereotype. If it is, then my dad's the gay one and I'm straight. :grin: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But that isn't true. :|

11. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so. When my dad sits down he crosses thigh over thigh. I can't do the same. I cross Ankle on Knee only because I'm fat :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. It's uncomfortable for me to do thigh on thigh and keep it there for a long time. :grin:.

So I don't think that's a gay stereotype. If it is, then my dad's the gay one and I'm straight. :grin: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But that isn't true. :|

12. foxer

I like sitting legs crossed though I always sit in the weirdest positions. Sitting on top of your leg for 1,5 hours really isn't a great idea. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Nope. Many straight gays cross their legs too.

14. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PLEASE ALL GUYS IN MY CLASS sit the way i do the girl sit that your dad calls is how most guys sit in my class
    i think who want to look classy sit like this straight or not and BTW im in syria the country where guys get judged by gay or straight based on scarfs and colours so your fine the way you sit people wont think your gay because of that
    so no dont ever judge guys on the gay or not on that one.....