1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Siblings

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I have a sister. She's older than me (22 and I'm 17 so about a five year difference there, although she'll be 23 this year so...)

I think we get on ok, although we do fight sometimes over who has to do the chores, and we do like to wind each other up and argue. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But hey, what are siblings for am I right? :grin:

I think that it has improved over time. I just think as I've grown older I've actually come to realise that we do have things in common, and that she isn't just pure evil like I used to think she was. We still have our differences, but I think we understand each other better now and although she still winds me up from time to time, she does so less these days. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2016 at 03:29 PM ----------

I get that too with my sister. She has blue eyes, strawberry blonde (and fairly straight) hair whereas I have frizzy Merida like hair (Just image Merida with dirty/dark strawberry blonde hair) and light brown eyes. Sometimes people ask about it, and ask if I have a different dad or something to my sister. (I don't).

Usually I'll get "whoa, your dad must have really curly hair", "You look like a lion/horse/sheep", "But your sister looks so small (in height) compared to you, and her hair is a lot straighter".

My sister used to have hair like me, but she's straightened it so much over the years that it just remains straight now.

I was bored one day, so I decided to use that "twins or not" game that tries to guess if you're related to someone based on pictures of you and that person, and I tried it with a picture of me and my sister. I got a 70% chance of being related to her as my result, so I decided to try it again but this time with a picture of my friend (who is technically a really distant relative of mine on my family tree) and it came up with 80% for me and my friend. I mean yeah, we were technologically related since she has come up on my family tree when we were doing genealogy at school, but it got me how it thought that we had more of a chance of being related than me and my sister despite my sister obviously being closer related to me.

My sister has blue eyes she she inherited it from my dad, whereas I have my mum's eyes. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2016 at 03:32 PM ----------

Technically related, not technologically. :lol: My inner IT nerd showed a bit then. :grin:

#41 Canterpiece, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  2. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "My sister has blue eyes she she inherited it from my dad, whereas I have my mum's eyes. "

And that should say: "My sister has blue eyes since she inherited that gene from my dad, whereas I have my mum's eyes. :slight_smile:"

:eusa_doh: I keep making typos today.

(I ran out of editing time before so, sorry about this.)

#42 Canterpiece, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. KayJay

I have 3 siblings, 2 of which only share one parent with me. My brother that has both parents in common with me is only 11 months younger. When we were younger we'd fight sometimes but as we grew older that stopped and we've shared some pretty personal things with each other. I love him a lot! Since he went off to live near university I barely see him, especially less since I moved out of my parents house. When he comes back to visit them he doesn't usually get to see me. I look forward to seeing him again whenever that is.

My other brother is 17, our mother is the parent we have in common. I love him too, I only see him once or twice a year, if that. I do miss him a lot but I definitely don't have the same sort of relationship with him as my other brother as we are quite a few years different in age. So growing up I bonded with him much differently. I should make more effort to stay in his life I think.

Now my sister is 11, we have the same father. I moved to my dad's when I was 18 so to her I've been around most of her life. She took my coming out very well, she wasn't really confused by it or anything which was great. It's nice to know I have one sibling who will only ever remember me as Kelsey. Out of our family she seems to learn best when I am helping her with her homework. She always gets in fights with my father and her mom when they try to work on school stuff. They've actually sent her over to my place to get some work done, I sort of enjoyed doing it more than I let on because I rarely get a chance to spend one on one time with her. She is quite sheltered, at least compared to my 2 brothers. I worry about her as she grows older. Hopefully when she starts high school and stuff she is comfortable talking to me about things, I'd like to be there for her.

I love all of my siblings and I am really glad I had the chance to grow up with them. The experiences they have all given me are unique and have helped make me who I am today.

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have two older siblings: one brother and one sister.

I have to say that I'm a bit ashamed of both.

My brother is 26 and he lives with my mom and doesn't work. He developed some kind of condition that makes him sleep more and more everyday (he sleeps about 20 hours a day now). However, he doesn't really seem to want to help himself. He doesn't know how to take care of himself at all and no matter how many times he graduated, he never knows how to use his skills. I tend to not talk about him much.

My sister is not as bad, but not very good either. She's 23 now (it's her birthday), but she still lives with my mom and doesn't seem close to moving out. She will get her Cegep diploma at the same time as me (we're both waiting for it in the mail). She did find a place to have a stage, but they don't want to keep her afterward, so she'll need to find a new job. My mom has to push her to do it, usually.

All in all, my mom puts a lot of pressure on me so that I don't turn out like them. I kind of moved out because of the drama anyway. I wish I had better relationships with my siblings, but they are far from the kind of people I get along with :/

5. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the youngest of four siblings. I'm gay and a few weeks away from my 53rd birthday, my brother, who is actually the reason I am on this site, is a few years older, married with adult daughters, and three grandchildren. He came out to me a few years ago and we are now closer than we've ever been . The next sister is in her early sixties with 5 adult kids and 8 grandchildren. We get on well enough, but we're not close. The eldest sibling, also female, died more than forty years ago and we were never close at all.

6. timo

I have one sister, she's 21. I don't really have any contact with her unless I'm visiting my parents and she's there too. It's all ok for me, it's not like we dislike each other or something but she's a completely different person than I am (both her character and her interests) and I can't really be bothered to put more effort in it.

7. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an older sis- she's roughly 2 years older then me, but people mistake our age, depending on who's being the mature one. We can be both the older and younger around each other. I'm very close to her, though I haven't been seeing her around recently, and I have a tendency to cling to her just to annoy her. We also curse at each other, trying to think of the most creative subtle way to flip each other off- my favorite is using my middle to push up my glasses, and hers is rubbing her face with her middle finger being the most prominent.

We don't bully each other, unlike most siblings, and whilst i share everything about myself with her, she's a very private person. But it works out all fine <3

8. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have two siblings: one older sister, who is now married and has children of her own. I've always been close to her and it's odd that she lives in another state with her own family, but I still visit her as often as I can, and I am a great uncle to her two adorable kids :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The other sibling is my fraternal twin brother. We really could not be more different. He's always been taller, stronger, and bigger (we look similar, but few would guess we're twins), leading the majority of people who meet us to assume he's my older brother (well, I guess technically he is older by a few minutes). That said, though our personalities are near opposites (he's outgoing and sociable, where I'm quiet and withdrawn. He was relieved to finish college with passing grades, where I'm now a PhD candidate). He's been nothing but supportive and I for him. I can't imagine life without him. Like my sister, unfortunately, he also lives away, although still in the same state (he works at a bank in Vegas).

I was lucky to grow up with both of them. I've never told either one about my lack of heterosexuality, though I'm sure they can guess. My brother has been with God knows how many girls and I've been with nobody. They must suspect something, but I've always tried to steer the conversation to something else whenever me and my lack of interest in relationships comes up.

#48 Libertino, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  9. effloresce

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    all of my siblings are half-siblings, and i'm 14 years older (i'm 23) than the oldest one so our relationship is very interesting. i'm really wondering how i'll come out to them as time goes on, because i'm sure neither of my parents have mentioned it at all. it's getting a little frustrating for me right now though as they keep asking if every boy i speak to is my boyfriend.

10. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have one younger sister, who I am really close to (2nd closest person, behind my mom).

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was adopted fron a foreign country when I was 6 months old, and I'm pretty sure I have biological siblings. But in my adoptive family I don't have any. It makes me sad because I know I'd probably be more outgoing if I had one.

12. Wagram

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a twin brother. we always been really close though when we were younger we were fighting alot.

Our relationship got better over time. Now he's really supportive and he almost wants to come out for me to other people because he's proud of me. Kind of annoying but I love him

13. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have ten siblings; 6 sisters and 4 brothers. Everyone is older except for two younger sisters under me in age. Unfortunately, none of my siblings are okay with me being a gay man. This is something that does not bother anymore due to the fact that I've dealt with this ever since I came out and I've grown to accept their abandonment by keeping my distance and living my to the fullest. The only weird area with my relationship with my siblings is that if they are need of something; they easily push aside their homophobic issues in order to have me comply with their needs. Whenever these situations occur, there is a lot of "dead air" over the phone because they all have a very difficult time talking to me especially since we do not have a good relationship to begin with. However, there is one sibling which is younger that I did have a connection with but the only thing with her is that she flips flops back and forth with her feelings which causes a disconnect within our relationship. I tend to see that although she's aware of the behavioral and dysfunctional patterns of our siblings and yet, its apparent that she seeks their approval and within a blink of an eye, she can toss me to the curb until she has issues with them and she needs some genuine support from a sibling without any hidden agendas which is me.

14. britishatheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've got an older sister who turns 19 in a couple of weeks, and a little brother who's 12.

I'm the under-appreciated middle child, I suppose. :lol:

I used to be really close with my sister-- we could tell each other ANYTHING, and we looked out for each other. But recently, things have been kinda rocky. She seems to get annoyed by me more often than she used to, and as a result we don't really talk much anymore. But she still lives with us, so I still see her and stuff-- we're not COMPLETELY cut off from each other.

As for my brother, I've never been really close with him, but then again, nobody really is. But this summer we've been spending a lot of time together, and slowly-- very, very slowly-- we're beginning to develop a nice bond.

Hopefully as we get older, though, I'll get closer to both my siblings. :slight_smile:

15. PinkCarnation41

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the eldest of three and were all close when growing up. My sister passed away just over three years ago and I miss her very much. My brother has his own family now and we're not as close as we used to be.

16. mmmelody

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a sibling who's a year and 5 months younger than me. We've always been super close; since we're so close in age, sometimes I call her my twin! It was like having a built-in playmate growing up.

After I went to college and started getting more vocal about my support for LGBT equality, she started asking me questions about LGBT terminology - like, "what does 'agender' mean?" Or "what does 'transgender' mean?" I gave her all the definitions, and finally one day she told me she never really felt completely like a girl. She said sometimes she feels like a guy, sometimes like a girl, sometimes like neither; she likes either she/her or he/him pronouns. So I came out to her as pansexual and now we're bonding even more over our queerness. (My parents don't know.)

She drives me up the wall sometimes but she amazes me everyday. I love her so much :slight_smile:

17. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have two older sisters and a younger brother. My oldest sister (26) is the weird one in the family, being the only "normal" person. Out of my family members she's the least accepting, but recently she gave me a weird text "it must be awful to be stuck in the wrong body" and has started being all inspired to be lgbt ally #1. My other sister (24) felt bad for our younger brother for not having any older brothers (hah) growing up and always tried to act like a brother and a sister to us. She was a bad influence on us (in a good way, she was the fun sister), teaching us how to make plaster out of both toilet paper and tooth paste, encouraging us to use the tea set and play kitchen as a chemistry set and a lab (eventually the tea set got taken away), helping give us the idea to jump off our bunk bed with backpacks pretending to sky dive. She's still the fun sister. She and I have always had a pretty good relationship. My brother (18) is one year and one day younger than me. When we were really close as kids, but we grew apart during puberty. We're starting to get closer again, so that's cool.

18. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a sister she is 2 years older than me and we get on fine.
    I have a younger half brother I've never met and probably never will

19. IamCasey

I have an older brother, an older step brother and a step sister my age. My older brother is my hero, and he is always there when I need him. The step bro and sis are still new to me and they have no idea I am gay.

20. NewHaircut

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I haven't come out to my brother yet, but I am planning to when I see him next. I know he'll be supportive, and won't mention anything to my folks until I'm ready...