1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dolphinsneu, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Man, it's hard to keep up with all of you, but I'm trying.

Let me lay out the basic point I have being trying to make

I am not sexist. I would just prefer being biologically female and not having to work to get dates or sex

The girl told me I wasn't being gentlemanly if I didn't pay on the first date. I disagreed

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

So she was clearly just after my money like a thief.

2. Split Arrows

Good god I have never facepalmed so hard before.

I'm definitely a fan of paying on the first date (regardless of gender), but you cannot seriously be so out of touch that you think that someone who has chosen to be with you, if only as friends, is trying to "steal your money. "

You said that in the past you payed for dates out of wanting to be a gentleman yet your words don't paint the picture of one.

3. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So she was clearly just after my money like a thief.

And the point is being nice to her just made her not interested in me.

That's why guys have it so hard

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing is men can't get away with these things. I thought the same thing but after last semester, I don't take my chances.

5. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    thank goodness it was an ice cream cone and not an expensive dinner.

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2013 at 09:03 PM ----------

I don't think my not willing to pay for girls on dates until I know they aren't trying to steal qualifies me as sexist

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    None of us were there to witness what went on. But based on the rest of your posts in this thread, I think it's possible that you may have had some intent, somewhere, that being kind to her after what happened might lead to you having a shot at a relationship with her. If so, my guess is that she somehow picked up on that intent. And if you *didn't* have that intent, even unconsciously, then you shouldn't be that upset that she doesn't want to speak with you. You did her a kindness, she appreciated it at the time, that's all that matters. Perhaps she's very bitter toward guys in general, perhaps you said or did something that implied an interest in a relationship. In any case, if you are genuinely doing something out of kindness, then it isn't reasonable to expect anything in return, otherwise you're not truly doing it out of kindness.

Second, on the point of preferring being raped to being accused of rape: I hope you never have to go through either, but having worked with a lot of people who have been raped, your statement belies a complete lack of understanding of the emotional and psychological damage of rape. Sure, false accusations can cause similar emotional and psychological damage, but to make a flippant statement like that is to completely devalue the hardships and difficulties (which can, for some people, last a lifetime) that come of being raped. It's hard to make a comparison, but most of what you described as the costs of false accusations don't last a lifetime, while the sense of violation and being "damaged goods" often does.

Finally, I think if you were able to go back and objectlvely read everything that everyone else has written in this thread, and everything you have written, with the mindset that perhaps the comments people are making might have a lot of truth to them, I think you'd make gigantic strides in understanding why you are having such difficulties in relationships. This isn't intended to be offensive, but you come off as boorish, entitled, and somewhat ignorant in your comments and views. Of course, no one wants to hear that, and I'm not saying it to offend you, but to honestly and objectively tell you what I'm reading from what you've written. And my guess is, if that's what's coming across in this thread, some of that, or at least the mindset behind it, is coming across when you interact with people. Even if you are trying to project a different persona, anyone with good people reading skills will see right through it.

So it might be sensible to really think about what people have said, about your own views, and how you are coming across, and then think about what steps you can take to genuinely work on yourself, your beliefs, and your interactions with others.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um, there are plenty of both advantages and disadvantages to being biologically female just as there are to being biologically male. Each carries its own set of issues to deal with. I don't see how you can argue one is so much easier than another.

In my case I'm thankful I was born biologically male because I would be terrified of the thought of being able to get pregnant and have a whole other human being growing inside me for nine months and then have to squeeze a whole friggin baby out of that little hole. Of course, the other side of that coin is that as a guy I will never experience what's it's like to nurture a new life within me. But I'm grateful that women are willing to put up with what seems to me a frightening prospect in order to keep the human race going. They also have to deal with periods and things. Women don't have it so easy biologically.

Then you don't have to pay. The choice was yours whether you wanted to be "gentlemanly" or not. Do things Dutch treat from now on.

8. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    All I wanted was to be friends. She just wanted to use me and take advantage of my money

9. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well this thread got out of hand quickly...

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

This thread has definitely run its course, and is being locked. Anyone with concerns is welcome to post a thread in Ask the Staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.