1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Say something positive about adulthood!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it has plenty of cons, but I'd like to hear some positives! Please. I need this right now.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love being able to critically think, look at the evidence, and make my own opinions. As a kid you just go with whatever an adults opinion is.

There are so many things that you can't legally do under 18. I realize it can vary by a couple years -making legal decisions (buying a house, renting an apartment, bank stuffs), buying lottery tickets, alcohol, renting a car, getting married, getting a tattoo....Most places you can't do these things, especially without signed permission, when you are under 18.

Independence and not getting told what to do (at least as much lol). It depends on your family and probably happens a little bit after 18, but I find a lot of people shift away from telling you what to do, and more toward gentle suggestions & letting you figure things out on your own.

I miss the lack of self awareness of being a kid. But I'd easily take the extra adult stresses for the adult independence

3. Loves books

I don’t need my parents assistance to buy alcohol as a gift. I’m still getting asked for ID at 30. I paid for the Garda Age Card because it’s accepted in any shop and some shops require you to have it to purchase alcohol.I didn’t expect to need ID for a lotto ticket. I like that I can travel alone, I can sign medical consent forms decide what to eat and drink and when. I like the ability to do anything I want because I’m a grown up. I can see any movie I want in a movie theatre alone. I don’t smoke or drink but if I want to I can. I don’t need permission to go somewhere or stay out late. I don’t have to go somewhere I don’t want to go like visit family I don’t like.

4. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not childhood

5. BirdWatcher87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think for me it was finally realizing that I was bisexual and that I have a little feminine side at times and how good it felt to accept those feelings :slight_smile:

So many positives that are hard to list too! I may have to think for a little while! lol

6. BocciBee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something I love about being an adult is that I can just go out without needing permission. I can come home at 3am if I really want and the only consequence is that I'm tired the next day. I can cook whatever I want and I can move things in my apartment if I decide I don't like where they are.

I'm guessing from your tone in the original post that you're like me, where you get a bit freaked out by all the negative stuff people are always saying about adulthood. I understand, and I wish people would be more positive sometimes, because there's plenty of things to love!

7. SunnyMoon22

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For me it's making your own decisions about your life.

8. thatasher

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thinking of this from a kid’s perspective for a minute…I like the freedom to go where I want, when I want. I like meeting new people and having grownup conversations, haha. I can stay up until dawn if I feel like it, watch scary movies, drink booze. Kissing is beautiful and not gross anymore.

Yeah, bills and responsibilities suck, but being a grownup is actually pretty lit when you think about it. Being a kid is like being a tiny prisoner.

9. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Autonomy
    Choice
    Maturity
    Knowledge
    Self knowledge
    Experience
    Friends
    Self-confidence
    The development of your protective 'psychic armour'
    The absence of an all-pervading fear because you have no autonomy
    The right to vote
    Being able to earn money for oneself
    The right to spend the day doing whatever the f*** you want (within reason, of course)
    Respect from other adults
    The ability to think long term because you have already lived long term
    The ability to travel wherever you want (within the means of your budget, bien sur)
    Freedom

I mean, I could go on...

Canterpiece, I'm curious why you think adulthood is not a positive experience compared to childhood?

Beth

#9 chicodeoro, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  10. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cake for breakfast, or breakfast for dinner.
    Being able to drive
    Arguing about bathroom paint color choice... it was not a serious argument, twas a silly argument.

11. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it's largely freedom. Childhood was filled with pain, uncertainty, and depressive lows. And while I still struggle with depression and anxiety, being an adult has allowed me to deal with those feelings in my own way, in my own time, without being berated/belittled. I like having my own home, my own space, my own family, and being able to decide how/when the house chores are done. I like being my own boss. I like being able to pursue things that bring me happiness or comfort. I especially like having some of the healthiest relationships I've ever had in my life, and learning to set boundaries that earn the respect of those who matter, and weed out those who don't.

I also really like that in adulthood, I've managed to be the truest, most honest version of myself.

12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hold childhood in warm regard either. Certainly not my own. It wasn't all bad, there was plenty good. However, let's just say I've been praised for how well adjusted I am "considering everything".

I am mourning the loss of free time. The fact that I am limited to how much time I am allowed off work can be well... saddening. Especially since there's a lingering guilt that I could be using my free time more wisely which in turn ruins it.

My adult life doesn't feel very free right now. It's not like when you're a kid and you get to have months off. Plus, that's all people ask about. Your work. I don't want my life to become defined by it. Yet it takes up so much of my time and I resent that but I know it is necessary. I especially resent it since I hate my workplace and I am in the process of escaping.

Then there's the questions! The ones that stick in the back of your head. 'Hey, you know those life events you looked forward to as a kid? The ones you assumed would just happen? Yeah, they might not. Turns out, you have to make those happen even though you don't know how! Let's uncomfortably think about how they might not happen. Fun!' the doubt seems to mock. Makes me miss an idealised version of childhood. One where I was still blissfully unaware that things wouldn't just fall into place at this age.

#12 Canterpiece, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  13. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    See, I never thought anything would just fall into place. My childhood was defined by one emotion: fear.

I was scared that there would be a nuclear war.
    I was scared that my parents might die, like...soon.
    I was scared that I would never be able to get a job.
    I was scared that no-one would ever love me.
    I was scared I would never have sex.
    I was scared computers would take over the world (hey...turns out they have!)
    I was scared of the future.

That fear came largely from that lack of autonomy. When you're dependent on your parents for everything you're at the mercy of events, you don't have any confidence in your own ability to shape your own life.

That sounds like a good idea. And with a record number of vacancies in the UK there has never been a better time to do it. (Oh Gawd I can feel a very 80s* cliche coming on...) Go for it!

Beth

* As you can probably tell from the above list I am a child of the 80s.:shrug:

#13 chicodeoro, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You get WAY calmer. I have.

15. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My childhood was defined by fear as well, but the way I got through it was to tell myself that it would be alright because adulthood would be way better and make everything 'worth it'. So when times are difficult now, it really hits.

I still feel... wrong. Like there's something about my life that just doesn't fit. As if this isn't my actual reality. I can't figure out what it is though.

16. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have been thinking about this topic lately.

Adulthood is definitely better than my childhood in some ways. People aren't forcibly trapping me in small spaces anymore for one. Not being bullied is pretty sweet. It's nice to know I've got through that and will never have to live through those years again.

I do like the independence but I don't completely have that independence yet because I still live with my parents. I was especially not feeling much freedom in my old job (the one I was in when I made this thread) because it was very difficult to get time off and that was really weighing on me. I felt as though I'd signed my life away. It really taught me the importance of work-life balance. If you don't take a day off, your body will decide for you.

The thing that felt vaguely wrong was I wasn't where I wanted to be in my life but felt trapped in the situation. I am working on moving towards where I want to be and I'm starting to realise that adulthood might not be as bad as I first thought.

Mods please forgive me for bringing this thread back to life. I just figured this would be a nice conclusion.

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Adults romanticize childhood sooo much. For me I can't realistically look back on childhood as carefree days. Yeah objectively I had fewer responsibilities. But my stress was so much worse. I didn't have the knowledge, wisdom, or experience to handle what I was dealing with and life comparatively sucked. Yes youth is wasted on the young, but experience is frequently wasted on the old.

*I do frequently think about what would happen if I got the chance to keep my current mindset and go back to being little. I could have handled things better and enjoyed life more. But that's not a thought a young person is capable of having because they don't have the perspective of hindsight.

18. Loves books

When you’ve been an adult for a few years you recognise how immature and stupid teenagers can be and be glad you are no longer one of them.

19. Tiago GA

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't gotta listen to your parents telling you to clean your room. (That's all I got, but being for real, my parents would say that everyday)

20. RBM

RBM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you are an adult for years and years and years… you start wondering why the younger generation’s music is so bad and feel proud of your own generation.

Slightly joking. Nope, not really.

Being an adult is fun as long as you make mostly the right decisions.