1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romney: Gay couples should have right to adopt

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 10, 2012.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indeed. Romney does more flips than a cheerleader....hmm I wonder if this is saying something about Romney :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Emberstone

says a man whoes religion did not even allow him to view black people as equal until a few decades ago.

3. RedState

You know...I look at all these Romney "flip flop" comments...I was baffled at first...and then I remembered what site I was on.

Umm...have any of you people even bothered to look at the President's history on same-sex marriage?

He was for it...then he was against it...then he had to think about it...now he's for it (although he still thinks the states should decide it)

So, I think it is safe to say that Mr. Obama and Mr. Romney are both equal opportunity flip floppers.

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Some more than others. In the 1990's Romney said he would be a fiercer advocate than Ted Kennedy for LGBT rights, and just a few months ago he described himself as a "severe conservative." He went from one end of the political spectrum to the other. At least Obama has consistently stated that he believes in equal rights for LGBT citizens, regardless of his own personal views on "traditional marriage."

5. RedState

>>>he described himself as a "severe conservative"

Well good! It's about Goddamn time...glad he is heading in the right direction.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With respect, Michael, I think if you objectively look at Obama's positions on various things, and Romney's positions, Romney has just blatantly flip-flopped more so than anyone in recent history; even the Republicans acknowledge that. Obama, like all politicians, has pandered somewhat to the positions that would get him elected, but Romney flip-flops so much he's spinning like a top. I thought Bush Jr. was an idiot and an incompetent, but at least he was more consistent on issues than Romney.

On the marriage issue, to be sure, in 2008 Obama made the same sort of political flip-flop Romney made, because he (likely correctly) realized that being pro-gay marriage was too controversial to get him elected, and certainly his "being against it" was insincere. Likewise, I suspect his support for "single payer" healthcare was and is what he most genuinely believes would be best for the country, but realizes that there are too many bought-and-paid-for elected officials (democrat and republican) to ever get that passed.

The difference to me is that Romney doesn't even make the argument that his views have evolved based on new information; he just blatantly contradicts himself, sometimes in the same day.

You know that I generally have little use for Republicans. But I'll say that Romney seemed (to me) like one of the less ridiculous Republicans to come along in a while. Unfortunately, though, with so many blatant contradictions in stated positions, and a campaign manager who said, in essence, "Well, we lied our asses off during the primary to get the nomination, but now we'll start over and say what we need to say to win the general election"... Romney isn't even good at spinning himself in a way to give plausible deniability to his flip-flops. And that's a little concerning when you can't trust *anything* the man says is what he really believes.

7. RedState

Chip, I completely understand and agree with the flip flopping notion. I'm not disputing that at all. But he's my guy and I will defend him when I see that those that live in glass houses are throwing stones.

You also know that I have no use for liberals...well...let me rephrase that because tons of my good friends are rabid liberals...I have no use for liberals that are in power. Like you for example, I actually have a lot of respect for you...but I wouldn't vote for you for even a dog catcher position...and I think the feeling is probably mutual :slight_smile: I just happen to think that they are extremely dangerous to my way of life...but that's beside the point.

I don't trust anyone on that level of political achievement...mainly because I've worked around them my entire adult life. My basic point is that to have this notion that Obama is this pure political saint on this issue is folly. And further more...what politician hasn't backed-down, skirted or flip-flopped on any given issue. They all pretty much have.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I rarely defend politicians, but I think Romney is much more sympathetic to LGBT people than most on EC are willing to believe. A lot of this is based just on the feel I get from him, but so be it - a few things:

1. As far as his personal personal (not political) beliefs are concerned, I don't think we an trust any policy positions as actual moral positions. The fact that he flip-flops constantly in political positions, to me, ill-legitimizes those very positions, and certainly can not be made to be perceived as personal beliefs.

In other (hopefully less jumbled) words - his political flip-flops only define him as a politician. Beyond that realm, they would not appear to define him as a person.

2. He grew up in the relatively liberalized Detroit, son of a very moderate (politically, and presumably personally) father. I'm disregarding his bullying incident - a lot of people are like that in high school and grow up later (even LGBT persons stuck in denial). Further, he's spent the rest of his life (I believe all of it, after SLC?) in the hyper-liberalized Boston area. I would be shocked if this did not significantly effect his personal feelings toward LGBT persons - trust me, it's a true phenomenon; when conservatives move to more liberal areas, they are exposed to more social issues (such as LGBT issues) and they become more liberal.

3. From hearing from Romney and all of his campaign staff, it sounds like the gay employee (forgive me for not knowing his name or position) was highly respected within their group. I've also heard plenty of whispers about Romney's kind sentiments toward LGBT couples he knows. I know it's all hearsay, but the frequency of things I've heard on various news networks (and trust me, I can't stand fox and never watch it - so it's far from biased) makes me believe there's something to it.

Anyways, take it however you want to - I think Romney's a lot more kind than liberal-leaning persons tend to give him. And this is from someone who can't stand anything politically mainstream...

9. Tim

Tim

I'm finding it amazing that they're willing to compromise their own veiws in an attempt to get the votes of the people they've been alienating and making feel like less than human. >_>

I'm half tempted just to abstain from voting at this point. -.-

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you readily admit that you agree with chip's comment that romney's objectively more fickle of 'opinion' than obama, but then gladly revert back to the glass houses analogy, implying that people holding that view of your man instead of theirs are just pointing the finger in his direction because of political differences, not because of any objective difference between romney and (insert any other mentioned or unmentioned politician here). I suppose emulation is the sincerest form of compliment, and he is, after all, 'your guy'.

The shotgun defence without even thinking disturbs me. Chris Rock put it best when he said: [YOUTUBE]UIA4__0DIXE[/YOUTUBE]

This coming from a man completely closeted in his right-wing work environment, i wonder how many of your colleagues' attitudes would shift if you were out. When you treat politics with zeal instead of rumination, that's where true, genuinely scary danger lies.

11. RedState

You know what Jim, my work atmosphere, and who I associate with, is really none of your business is it?

Didn't think so.

But thanks for caring :slight_smile:

Yes he is my guy, big deal. We all have our individual candidates..he happens to be mine...he also happens to think that there are more dire and pressing issues facing this country...and I agree.

My basic point was that back tracking, flip flopping or whatever you want to call it, is part of politics. Always has been and always will.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've spoken about it publicly before, it was anyone's business then? Off the cards now?

No, we don't all have our individual guys, that's the point. I don't vote for a guy, i vote for a policy. Voting for a person (or party) and not their ideas turns politics into a personality cult for the voter.

As for the final paragraph... since my previous comment re: wilful ignoring of objective difference remains unanswered, and the wilful ignoring continues, i guess that's the end of that

13. RedState

Well of course there are objective differences between Gov. Romney and Pres. Obama.
    I don't agree with everything that Romney has done during his tenure in public life...but I like him a hell of a lot more than what we have now.

So what? I'm voting for Mitt. So shoot me. Revoke my gay card or whatever.

You know what is interesting...completely off topic but interesting... I was at a gay club last night and when Obama was brought up just about the same thing was said: "Please..I'm not voting for that bitch again"

I didn't say we have our individual guys...we have our individual candidates. One would assume that you base your support for a candidate on their policy. Besides, a policy doesn't make law...a guy (or gal) does.

So support your policy all you want. I'm going to support the people that will make the policy I believe in happen.

#33 RedState, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so the glass houses thing WASN'T meant to imply that romney isn't any more fickle than barack obama, or any other politician for that matter? Because if it wasn't, it's a non-statement, and if it was, it's blatantly false. Either way, romney would be proud of the fickleness demonstrated.

gay club thing: cool story.

So it's semantics now, i see. 'Guy' is so different from 'candidate' that it warrants another non-statement. Let's go with 'person' then.

I vote for a party's policy. No leader in a democracy unilaterally declares policy without counsel. [edit] and it's not always the same party.

The statement that 'policy doesn't make a law, a guy does' is just naive to the point of vapidity for someone in your line of work. It goes right back to the personality cult issue.

#34 Pseudojim, May 12, 2012
  15. RedState

Actually the glass house comment was referring to people here for beating up on Romney for flip-flopping when the President has done the same thing.

I support a policy. I vote for the people that will make it happen. I can't elect a policy...but I can people.

My last statement was not naive at all...it's just how it is...not thinking so is naive.

Sometimes the agreement with policy does guide decision making...but most of the time the desire to get re-elected trumps all reason.

#35 RedState, May 12, 2012
  16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure you unfalteringly will.

17. RedState

You betcha :slight_smile:

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes.... i know that. That's been clear from the very beginning. But you've answered my question. I guess instead of being a non-statement, it's a blatantly false one, since we've already established and you've agreed that those men have not at all done the exact same thing.

You're a consummate cultist, through and through. You go ahead and make the world a shitter place, i won't resent you for it, you can't help it. You don't comprehend what i'm talking about, it's like talking to a child. Let's just drop it.

#38 Pseudojim, May 12, 2012
  19. RedState

I feel the same way when talking to liberals: "No NO! put those tax increases down"

But every once in a while the liberals will get it wrong and eat out of the ash tray or throw the dress shoes in the toilet.

Sometimes I'd like to look at the mind of a liberal...because everything...even the most PAINFULLY obvious is a new and complete surprise to them.

It's not being a "cultist"...is simply living and dealing in a place called Washington...it's a place called "political realville"

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, those repeated characterisations of the entire demographic of 'liberals' don't expose ingrained group-think mentality at all.

Chant away