1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Republicans and democrats

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Weazel, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Shrug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    although i knt vote, im an independent! if i had 2 b catoregorized az dem or rep, i wud b a dem, bc i share alot of the same beliefs as democrats!!! if ur highschool student who are politically opinionated, chekk and c if ur school haz a young democrats klub or young republicans klub!!! there alot of fun, and rly interesting!!!

2. myra

You'd put the man in office because he made a good speech? Eh...that reasoning kinda scares me.

3. Danielle

Danielle Guest

That is ture because if people picked just on good speeches Obama would win with a 100 percent majority (No offense to McCain but I have never seen anyone who can inspire a crowd like Obama

4. silentsound

Well, that's probably because generally the democratic party plays to the liberal side, and liberals are a fan of gay marriage, etc. I guess it's just a more open minded party, thus, many gays are democrats. I could go into more detail... but I am so far left wing that I don't think I could be totally objective here...

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speaking strictly from outside the realm, in really huge generalities.

The Republicans tend to be "status quo". They like the things the way they are, or even better, the way they were. And if we can return to those bygone days of yesteryear, everything will be sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. This message plays best with two groups of people. First off, it plays well with those higher up on the socio-economic scale. They're doing fine, they want to keep doing fine, so don't screw with anything. In America, this tends to be the "haves". Men more often than women. Whites more often than minorities. Straights more often than gays.

The Democrats aim their message firmly at those below the upper crust. "You deserve more." Democrats tend to be advocates for change - social, economic, whatever. This message plays best with those who don't feel like they're getting all they should. The disenfranchised. The minorities, women, gays.

Gays can still be Republican. Some believe that social change doesn't happen from the top down, but from the bottom up. That having Congress enforce laws to effect social change will simply make people hate the government, and not change their minds about things. So they have to change people's minds one-by-one, and eventually, once most people feel that way anyway, the laws can reflect that. Thus, gays don't worry about Republican anti-gay rhetoric (feeling that it's simply pandering to those who fear gays, anyway), and can look past it to vote Republican.

Lex