1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Republicans and democrats

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Weazel, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Weazel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here's a question why are more gays Democratic (or am i only seeing a slim margin of the gay comunity) than republican :bang:

and to those of use who are republicans i ask again why are you republican

And i ask this because how i see it is that neither party has any benefits for us (again i might just be seeing a narrow veiw)

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Republican Party is usually associated with conservatism, which often holds a more tradition-based, Christian religious standpoint. Many (but not all) Republican conservatives hold a negative view of anything outside of the heteronormative, which leads to a bit of a standoff between non-heterosexuals and Republicans.

Of course, there a lot of exceptions to this. There are seniors, theists, and Republicans who support homosexuals, and there are many Democrats who do not. But of course, as any homosexual will tell you, shrugging off stereotypes can be hard.

3. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A major voting platform for Democrats is to make disenfranchised groups think "the democratic party is the party for them", so they promise the black communities things, and other minority groups as well as the gay community.
    At the end of the day, they do much more harm. For instance, affirmative action is holding back the minority community. Democrats play off historical injustices to stoke the fires of unrest today, instead of trying to move us forward. So that's why we have quotas, and black-only scholarships, and other policies that discriminate against whites, and make minorities feel like they can't compete in the world without a handout.

Anyone can be conservative if they want to be. It comes down to personal responsibilty, a sense of family values and limiting the power of the federal government (opting for state and local government).

It might still seem difficult to reconcile the two because for so long being gay meant rejecting "straight" society and traditions for the "bathhouse lifestyle" and never having a family of your own. That's why civil unions are so important, because they say: look, we want to have the same legal rights to monogamy, and to start a family. Plus, it would be good for the economy! :slight_smile:

4. RobbIsFlyyy

Teriffic Answer.

5. Alexander

I'm a libertarian.

6. otc877

otc877 Guest

Log Cabin Republicans are gay Republicans.

Gays are usually democratic because they believe that democrats hold more sympathy into fixing problems related to LGBT (which is mostly true)

Republicans, on the other hand, are generally opposed to anything LGBT oriented. Naturally gays choose the party on their side.

My own personal opinion is that democrats try to fix everyone's problems, and in turn becomes unrealistic and republicans don't do enough to fix all the problems, so in a sense they ignore them.

As for my own beliefs, I'd say I'm mostly in between. I have some strong conservative view-points and some liberal views, but in the end I would consider myself slightly more conservative, but still open-minded. However, I'm not officially affiliated with either party.

7. myra

I'm registered as a republican. (Just because thats how i voted in the primary). I would identify as an Independent but that party isn't actually recognized in ohio. I have a mixture of both conservative and liberal views. Like abortion...very conservative about that. Stem cells: conservative. LGBT: liberal. I think i'm republican because both my parents were and its how i've been raised--with alot of conservative views. But if i could, I'd be registered as an independant. Can't do that here though. That would make a non-partisan and i'd only be able to vote on issues and not candidates. (My mom works at the board of elections so i know all the laws on voting. lol.)

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

They force you to register with a particular party? Typically independents are non affiliated voters and if they don't allow that, do they allow you to fill in a third party for registration. If not it seems like an old system that needs fixing.

9. lcr guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can register as an Independent. Some of our politicians are.

I'm not sure how that works with Primaries though...if you get to pick which primary you vote in, or if you get to do both?

It's basically a two party system though, much to the dismay of George Washington. So basically, it'll be a cold day in Iraq when a green party person like Nader is elected President.

10. otc877

otc877 Guest

In the primaries, at least in California, you're not aloud to vote in the Republican primary if you're not registered with the Republican party, the democratic party will, however, allow you to vote in the primary if you're registered as non-partisan (Independent).

11. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are more parties than just the Republican and Democratic parties. People associate themselves with these 2 major well-known ones for some reason instead of simpler 3rd parties. The Green Party seems a lot more environmental friendly than either of those. Maybe people should start going Green! :slight_smile:

12. Bevo

Bevo Guest

Hey, i'm conservative and of course it leaves me very confused sometimes as to what side i should be on :confused:

13. myra

Here's the deal in ohio, i don't know about how other states work or even other counties. But in mine, we don't recogonize third parties: ie the green party or independants. Independants are the equivalent to non-partisans (NP). You can vote NP but you're only allowed to vote on issues, not people. If you're a registered NP, you can vote in the general election, but when you do, you have to circle a little D or an R when you register for which kind of a ballot you want. (Either the democrat or republican.) If you've voted before as a republican and you want a democrat ballot, they will "challenge" you and make you sign a paper that says you've changed you're party to democrat. I worked in a polling place for the primaries. We had alot of republicans switch parties. I don't know why its that way, but it is. Its no big deal if you want to switch parties, I just don't like that they don't recognize a third party. I think it makes it easier on the people in the election office who program the voting machines and print of the ballots. They only have to sort through, dem, rep, and NP ballots instead of 6 or 7 different types.

14. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay...I'm too young to vote but which candidate is for gay rights?

15. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I'm more republican than democrat D:

I'm more of a small-government person, with beliefs in still funding an education system, as well as outsourced universal healthcare, and huge cuts to welfare, which is deeply corrupted, as well as lowering taxes for the poor, and raising them for the wealthy.

16. smartguy

lol

that would be the democrats. but you shouldnt vote based on that issue alone

17. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  18. RedState

Thomas Paine wrote in "Common Sense" the "government, even in its best form is but a mere necessary evil". That being said, both paties have shown to be equally as worthless over the past few years. I'm a Republican, but their fiscal record has been horrible...and don't even get me started on Pelosi and that crowd. I'm a repub for several reasons: taxes, less government and greater personal responsibility and gun rights. Sadly, when u come down to it, there's very little difference nowadays in Washington.Democrats say: America is broken and we can fix it by more government programs, Republicans say "There's nothing wrong with America, and we can fix THAT!" So why not be a democrat? They believe in almost everything...and what they don't the republicans do. Besides, neither of them stands for anything the believe in anyway.

#18 RedState, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  19. Sam

Sam

I'm a democrat. I'm not very conservative and about the only thing I am conservative about is abortion. I think that there needs to be some serious changes made. I don't think that there is going to be any significant changes made no matter who wins this election. A lot of promises are made on part of both parties and then when the election is over the new president along with the rest of the party "forgets" those promises. Maybe a little effort will be made but not a huge effort.

Being a democrat or a republican is a personal choice based on the things you believe and whether a majority of what you believe is what the party believes

20. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I am not American or legal voting age but am very passionate about politics and I would be Democrat for sure I am pro choice I am for gay right I am for stem cell research

Lets just say I am VERY VERY VERY liberal