1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning my sexual orientation in my mid 20s?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Bng10160, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this sounds great. You sound like you know what you want to do and how you want to do it. I will say that imho being hit on by a woman was actually very affirming and nice. It happened so randomly, but even though she was not my type I felt immensely flattered. It felt the same way a nice looking man flirting with me would feel, which was nice. So I think you might be surprised that the overall feelings honestly feel the same. At the end of the day, it's a person who loves you. Take things slowly and enjoy it. I remember one of the biggest mistakes I made trying to figure myself out was to rush my feelings. I got overwhelmed and I wasn't feeling what I wanted to feel because I was pushing myself too fast. That was part of why it took me so long to question. I needed time, and I needed to give myself that.

Drizzle likes this.
  2. Dotwork

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi @Bng10160
    Wow, I’ve been where you are and so trust me when I say you’re not alone.
    A little background just to show I relate, I’ve had always been with men, thought I was always interested in men, persued them, dated them, had relationships and sex with them and never really questioned my sexuality. However, there was definitely signs that I wasn’t completely straight over the years although I didn’t entirely recognise them. Crushes on girls, but not realising that they were crushes as they felt so different from how I felt with men. This weird almost paralysing fear that everyone thought I was gay and was just waiting for me to come out. I never questioned this, I just thought I was weird lol.

Anyway, I was in a relationship with a man (7 years) and we were barrelling towards marriage, children all the usual stuff when suddenly it was like a punch in the face and I realised that I was maybe a bit gay. All those little hints over the years flew through my mind and I was like ‘oh fu*k’. Now what do I do?? How sure am I of this?? Is it something that I need to know for sure or am I happy enough in my relationship to be content with that and not explore this other side??
    Tbh it drove me mad and I got very very ill because of it. I mean dangerously so.
    I saw a counsellor which helped massively but ultimately it was down to me to decide how strong these feelings were.
    I’m not saying that you should do this at all but for me, I had to leave and it was the most hardest and devastating thing I’ve ever done. I threw a grenade at my ‘on paper’ perfect life for something that I wasn’t even sure about. But then saying that, the feeling must have been strong enough in order to push me to do that.

That was a year and a half ago and it hasn’t been an easy ride at all. The guilt I’ve felt has been immeasurable, I was very sick, for example it was a year ago this week actually that I was in intensive care because of everything, no joke.
    But I’ve come out to friends and family, i now have a gf who I care loads for, my confidence has grown, strangely my fashion has changed as I’m no longer worried about being perceived as gay... because I am lol. And I feel more like myself than what i ever have done in my life.

Now I’m not saying that this is what you should do at all, but all I know is that the feeling was strong enough in my gut that I had to take the risk and find out. And whilst it hasn’t been an easy ride, and I sometimes even now still wonder if i made the right decision (I think that’s acceptance tbh), I’m glad that I did what I did.

I’m not sure what my advice is with this post as ultimately it’s upto you to decide whether this is something that you need to look into further or do you think you’ll be content in life just knowing that this Is maybe a side of you that you’re ok not being sure of. Either one is completely fine btw. You just need to do what you feel Is right. I always like to ask myself the question of ‘if no one else was around to judge me then what would I do?’
    And most of the time the answer is right there in front of you.

sjax0628, Drizzle and silverhalo like this.
  3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really like this. Don't be afraid to experiment if that is your desire. I do think that this questioning means you should try it out to see what you want, how you like it, etc. Do I think it makes you gay? No I don't. I think you're probably bisexual if I had to give you a label, but even if you love your husband you might kick yourself one day if you got married and never got to experiment with this.