1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning my sexual orientation in my mid 20s?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Bng10160, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Bng10160

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello all, new to this site.

I am so sorry for the long-winded post but I’m sitting alone in my apartment currently freaking out and I needed a place to spill my guts lol.

Basically, for the vast majority of my life, I was pretty sure I was a straight female. My first crush ever was a boy, and all of my crushes thereafter. There were actresses that I thought were beautiful, but I don’t think I ever “wanted them”. Who’s to say though, really.
    The only butterflies I ever got were for men, and I have had very successful sex and loving relationships with men. However, I have had the thought that maybe I am gay come up a few times in my life, this being the third. There is always some random triggering event and then I spiral for a little while and eventually I guess I just get tired of myself and let it go. I think I am pretty obsessive about things when I get a thought. Obviously it’s not healthy but this is how I am I guess.

I think the first time I questioned myself at all it was a few days in 7th grade. Idk what it was because I had never found females attractive in that way or had a crush on another girl but I think I maybe thought someone was pretty and was like OMG does that mean I’m a lesbian? And I obsessed for a day or two.

I had another episode of doubt my freshman year of college but I was already in a state of depression/anxiety about being away from home at that time. It wasn’t even because I had feelings for any girls. I think I just had a random thought once and was like oo maybe this is my latent lesbianism. I thought about it for longer this time because I wanted to be sure, and it caused me a lot of anxiety, but I think in the end I started taking Lexapro and just stopped thinking about it after a while.

It is now 7 years after that and I am currently in the middle of a 3 year relationship with a really nice man but I can’t help feeling unsure.
    It started out as me being unsure that he was the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, and whether I would be better with someone else-which are all normal thoughts to have.

Then, a few days ago, it sort of seemed like one of my older female professors was into me and while it made me feel uncomfortable I was maybe a little bit intrigued? When I realized that, I sort of spiraled. I’ve been obsessively googling the past few days trying to figure out what my orientation is. I think I read an article that talked about in-the-closet lesbians being into young Leo DiCaprio/cry-baby era Jonny Depp because they sort of look like lesbians (LOL), and that sent me even further. Like because obviously my attraction to androgyny must mean I am 100% gay right? (Eye roll)
    I am extremely supportive of the LGTBQ community. I just never really thought I was a part of it!

It’s really the not knowing that has me. Like if someone could just tell me - you are into females, that’d be great because then I could move on and find a nice girl and be a badass lesbian like whatever.

I know that sexuality can be fluid as well, but then that just gives me even more chances to pick the wrong person for myself. Ha! I just have this paralyzing fear that if I don’t address my sexuality right now I am going to marry someone, have children with them, and then finally come to terms with myself and hurt them.

I can definitely say that I find men attractive. And I enjoy getting attention from them. However, maybe it is just the attention I like? I also find extremely androgynous women attractive.

Im not sure if I would ever be into sex with a woman but hey, baby steps right?

Also, I apologize if any phrases I used were offensive to anyone on this forum. I am just not well-versed in this area.

I basically just needed a place to vent my feelings, but for any veterans out there - do I sound like someone who is just repressing their true sexual identity?

If so, what are steps I should take to explore this?

And thank you <3 <3

Love4Ever likes this.
  2. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I relate to a lot of what you said. I thought I was straight for many years, loved boys growing up etc. I actually might have never known I was bi if I hadn't explored my sexuality. But I'm so grateful I did. I unlocked a part of me I never even knew existed and now I actually am only looking for a female partner. I identify as bi and find men attractive but don't want to be with men. So I understand the wanting to know what your orientation really is before getting seriously involved with someone. I'm SO grateful I figured this out as young as I did and that I have never actually been in a relationship before or gotten attached to anyone because now I can go after what I really want. Which is women for the long term. To me it sounds like you're in the process of discovering your attraction to women. I would just go with the flow and do what seems right to you. Have you ever considered dating a woman?

3. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You sound a bit like me not too long ago. From what you've written, it seems like you might be into women. Keep in mind that society expects us to be exclusively heterosexual, and that this can make it very challenging to recognize same sex feelings. It's one of the reasons why you hear about people realizing they're gay/bi later in life. But really, you're the only one who can figure out if you're into women, men, or both, and I suspect you will hear that from other people on this site. Personally, I found reading about compulsory heterosexuality to be very helpful for me. I've learned that it's not uncommon for women to be unaware of their feelings for other women before realizing their true sexuality. It's not even uncommon for women to think they're attracted to men before realizing they're just gay. I know it's confusing when you don't know if you really like men, or if you just like getting attention from them.

If I were you, I would just take it one day at a time. Don't worry about marrying the wrong person yet, just focus on what you feel in the moment. It's so true what they say about this being a process. It takes time to see yourself as anything other than straight when it has been so deeply ingrained in you by society. But you're willing to question yourself, so that is definitely a step in the right direction! If you are able to experiment with women, I think you should consider it. Have you told your boyfriend about what's going on with you?

4. Bng10160

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you both so much for your quick replies. It’s so nice to have forums like this.

It’s just hard for me to take it one day at a time because I am so obsessive in personality. And I have boards coming up. Oy Vei!
    I have considered trying to experiment or maybe even date a girl to see how I feel but my problem is that I don’t really have any gay friends where I am. (I am in dental school so it’s a pretty conservative place). Like I could go out to a gay bar by myself and try taking to women but there’s also the fact that I am in a relationship. Even if I’m “discovering myself”, it would still totally be cheating.

I haven’t spoken to him about it, and I have no idea how to. I would hate to lose him if this wasn’t actually a thing because we are logically so perfect for each other(pursuing the same degree/can open a practice together). And he’s so nice and cute and I do love him. It’s just hard when I’m obviously having these feelings.
    How would I even approach that?
    I mean I literally just realized all of this yesterday.
    I am also going to call a counselor tomorrow morning specializing in LGBT issues to make an appointment.

Love4Ever likes this.
  5. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know it's hard to take it one day at a time. I feel like I've been spiraling since I realized how gay I am. But I haven't been able to make any real progress in seeing myself clearly until I was able to just let myself be in the moment. I know that's probably not what you want to hear when you're obsessing over your sexuality.

Anyway, I think it's especially difficult when you're having this kind of revelation in a relationship. I mean, you're right, if you experimented with a woman without your boyfriend knowing, it would be cheating. I think it's the right move to talk to a counselor about this. They will be able to help you make sense of what you're feeling, and how to move forward with it with the situation you're in.

Honestly, the fact that you're even willing to question yourself and be honest about who you really are is not an easy thing to do, so give yourself credit for that. It's a tough situation you're in, but you are absolutely on the right track. It just takes time unfortunately.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC. Take a deep breath, you will figure this out and come through the other side whatever that might be. Calling a therapist sounds like a great start, they can help you organise your thoughts and make sure you get to the bottom of what's going on.
    It's not totally uncommon for people to question their sexuality in their mid or late 20's, I didn't figure out I was gay until then although my interest in guys before that was a little less. I have seen many people on here though that were totally into guys until their revolution so it's possible. As someone said above society leads us all to be heterosexual so it isn't easy to miss other clues or just be blinded by what society deems as right and normal.

If you imagine being with a woman, how does that make you feel? That can be in a sexual way but also just in an everyday way. Both are important, if you imagine being in a relationship with a female how does that make you feel?

7. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No one here can tell you what your sexuality is unfortunately. That is for you to explore and figure out, and experience helps (doesn't have to be sex). We can only give you food for thought or our experiences.

It sounds like to me anxiety is a bigger issue. You have some simple thoughts, a straight person could have, then you spiral and crash. I don't hear anything that gay from you other than you feel, "extremely androgynous women are attractive." But acknowledging someone is pretty or hot is different than being drawn to them because you want to be with them, touch them, kiss them, etc.

That isn't to say you aren't gay, just that I don't think you have enough information (least that I've read here) and you probably won't if you spiral every time a thought comes up. You have to go with the thoughts and experience them without trying to shut it down, judging it, or fearing it. Many of us had no clue nor felt much attraction until later in life so it's entirely possible you are a late bloomer. It happens. I think therapy with an LGBT+ therapist would be helpful especially if they can give you coping skills for anxiety.

8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get where you're coming from. I have had extremely strong feelings for men in my life, so I can imagine loving this guy the way you do must be very confusing for you. I think to love him as much as you do to me indicates that you're definitely not a lesbian. However, you might bisexual. I agree that unless you talk to him it would be cheating to experiment with women. However you can do other things in your head to try things out since you're feeling confused. Have you tried watching a lesbian movie or reading a lesbian romance novel? Or even just imagined what it would be like to be with a woman? To me, it sounds like part of your uncertainty is that you have not been able to be exposed to a lot of gay or bi women so you don't know what that's like or whether you would enjoy it.

9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also have anxiety so I know that that can just make things harder to figure out.

10. Bng10160

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yea I’m literally watching the L word on Netflix as we speak haha. I mean I can’t figure out what my future would be like with a woman like, life-wise. But I mean I guess it would just be like having a female friend but instead she’s my girlfriend? Lol. Idk. I always had a very traditional view of what my future would be like so now trying to figure out what it would be like with a woman is hard for me. But I suppose that comes with time.

I almost wish I had just done all of my experimentation in college and figured it out then but I literally had no desire to at all.

Yea I really didn’t have a lot of exposure to lesbian/bi women.

Love4Ever likes this.
  11. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It takes time to imagine yourself with a woman in a society where you don't see that as much. Especially if you are just now questioning your sexuality. I am comfortable now but I wasn't from the beginning. I feel in some ways I had to learn and teach myself what it is to be attracted to a woman because that is something we aren't shown much. I watched a little of The L Word but ultimately decide it wasn't really for me lol. I mostly watched what I did for Shane, but I just couldn't hang with the plot and the other characters lol. If you are looking for good movies ones that were very helpful to me and are both also on Netflix were Blue is the Warmest Color and Below Her Mouth. Blue is entirely in French but with subtitles you shouldn't have a problem. Below Her Mouth is in english though.

12. Bng10160

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How long did it take you to feel comfortable? Obviously no two people are the same but I’m just curious. Also, if I’m allowed to ask on here without it being a violation, what is your age geoup? Teens, 20s, 30s?

Love4Ever likes this.
  13. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No problem! It took a while. I didn't SERIOUSLY consider my sexuality I feel until just this year though I had periods before where I questioned. I also came out just a few weeks ago so that has also changed things. It was not an overnight thing. I am 21.

14. Bng10160

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When you questioned it before, what do you think ended those periods? And like how many months until you were like, yes definitely this is what I want.
    You say you explored your sexuality - how did you do this? Was it mostly theoretical mental work or did you go out and seek women?

Love4Ever likes this.
  15. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I was unsure. And I was really obsessed with men. I think spending some time with guys my own age clarified for me that maybe I wasn't straight. I was attracted to men but when I was hanging out with guys I didn't feel very satisfied. I liked being with women more. It was after really crushing on some women, having exposure of women being together that I began to realize that it was very appealing to me. Now it is something I think about all the time. I always like to help people on here because I was the straightest seeming girl. I NEVER would have guessed that I was not only bi, but also that I now want a female partner for the long term. I have never actually dated or been with either sex. Learning I liked women was the same as when I learned I liked men when I was younger. It is just based on my observations of how I feel.

16. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    See the weird thing is, for various reasons I never really spent any time with men. All my friends were girls, and so I crushed on guys without actually ever having gone out with them. So when I started to hang out with them, casually, I realized that other than some fun with flirting and the positive attention I received, I was bored. I went out with a guy on friend "dates", that weren't really dates but it was my first taste of how "going out" with a guy felt. And I was so bored on one of those occasions I actually made up an excuse to leave early because I was not happy. When I think about going out with a girl I don't feel this way.

sjax0628 likes this.
  17. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was going to step right in and opine, but with @Love4Ever, @silverhalo, and @Cinnamon Bunny giving you advice, I'm just a fish's bicycle here. (CinnaBun I owe you a PM, soon!)

But I couldn't help laugh (cry?) ironically at this:

Sigh. You hit the nail right on the head. And it's not even just about you, as you considerately point out. You are pretty self-aware. I suppose that just makes it easier to spiral into obsessing. You know, dull people don't have that problem. Lucky us.

Bng10160 and Love4Ever like this.
  18. Bng10160

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you all so much for your input. It is so crazy to be questioning my own self identity when for the last 3-4 years I have been SO comfortable and confident in myself. Like I was finally in a good place in my adult life and BAM. HAHA NOW MAYBE YOU LIKE WOMEN!!! like why couldn’t I have figured this all out when I was 13.
    And @Love4Ever i couldn’t even get through one episode of the L Word it was too 90s for me

I guess the next steps are to talk to a counselor and try to figure out my feelings? I already told my brother because I had to tell SOMEONE but I haven’t told anyone else yet. I want to make sure this is legit.

I just feel like I need to throw myself into the deep end and try something out. I’m not the type of person to wrestle with feelings for a long time - if I’m feeling a certain way I like to address is as soon as possible.

HOWEVER, what the heck do I do about my bf. Has anyone had a similar situation and had to break up with them? Or did anyone tell them what was going on and find support? He is a lovely person and he would be kind about it but I just feel like for sexual confidence reasons he would not be “okay” with it. I am also going to talk this through with a counselor. But what do I do about seeing him? We go to the same school and live in the same apartment building and see each other A LOT.

Love4Ever likes this.
  19. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there. It's totally fine to not know all this right away. You don't have to know. We live in a world that expects us to know who we will like for the rest of our lives in our teens?! As if that is even possible?! To me that is crazy, because life doesn't work like that. I think it's great you are so confident about exploring this. That takes gumption and you should be proud. Talking to someone is great. How did you brother take it? I honestly am a big advocate of sharing. I mean, your boyfriend may need time to adjust to this, but I think it's important to let him know what's going on. Your feelings are important, and if you're close to him he should be able to accept it eventually. You say you are happy with him. How interested are you/how far are you interested in going with a woman in your exploration? Are you looking to date? Are you looking for sexual experimentation? I think it would be helpful to think about exactly what you want to do and are looking for before talking to him.

20. Bng10160

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My brother was cool with it. Very supportive. But that’s the kind of relationship my family has. I’m extremely lucky in that regard.

I think for right now I just want to be able to test the waters and see if I can even feel romantic attractions towards women. Like I know that I have been into dates with men in the past so I guess I am kind of interested to see how I react to speaking with a women who I know is interested in me sexually - like if I would even like it or realize I don’t feel the same way? Maybe I’d kiss a woman to see if I like it but the sex stuff seems very far away for me right now.

I think it will be at least a week or longer before I share any of this with him. I want to go to my first counseling appointment and take my boards first. I have enough turmoil rn to distract me from studying I don’t also need the guilt of breaking a good man’s heart.

If only there was a 23andme for the Kinsey Scale! Lol

Love4Ever likes this.