1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Past Lives

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Young Blood, May 5, 2014.

1. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry but that isn't a word in English; is it in another language? Also, is this a game you're referring to like an RPG? :confused:

2. Hexagon

I don't believe in souls, so no. There is no credible evidence for, or even a currently understood physical mechanism by which a person's mental processes could exist separately from their physical body. Separation is a prerequisite for any kind of transfer of consciousness or soul, even if it's just from one body to another.

I do believe, however, that one day, I'll be feeding a tree. So that's kind of a future life.

3. thekillingmoon

Not sure about past lives. I believe in souls. If people can have an out of body experience, there must be a way to separate from your physical body. I never had one myself, but I think it's possible.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I have no evidence against souls, I find it hard to believe in them. And with out of body experiences, I find it impossible to believe; you sense with your body in all ways, and if you're not connected to your body, then you have no eyes to see yourself with. I can understand it as a possible hallucination, but we are our bodies and can't be separated from them.

5. thekillingmoon

All I'm saying is I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility of it being true. I read stories about people having a near death experience and later they were able to tell what everyone was talking about in the other room even though there is no way they could hear that. I believe there are things that exist in nature that we're not aware of and few people will have these spiritual experiences. It's still pretty interesting, so I try to keep an open mind.

6. Hexagon

Do you have any sources? I'd be interested to read them.

7. KnownSecret

Goldfish come from the Genus of Carassuis :wink:

As with the main subject of the thread, I don't really know if I believe in a soul or not exactly. It's plausible but then again it's not. If reincarnation was true and birthmarks show how you died then I would have had some interesting death in a past life, considering I have a large birthmark on my neck that is white maybe I was burned in a past life :lol:

8. Emulator

I have no birthmarks so I never died in my past lives? o:

9. Foxface

To be honest, while I am spiritual and Pagan, I don't know yet how I feel about reincarnation. I am certainly not ruling anything out

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people are simply scared of dying and laughing at death doesn't help them anymore. They make a connection with 'past lives' to alleviate the fear. Others pretend they have past lives, so they can make money out of it and/or get reputation. I think a birthmark is just that; a birthmark. If somebody believes they had a past life, I'll treat it on a case by case basis. I think it's possible, but I don't believe most people that claim to have lived before.

Almost all of the near death experiences I've read are ultra happy blah blah, see the deceased people and/or stereotypical angels, told that it is not their time, and regretfully returning to life, but with newfound love for almost everything. Well, it helps put them at ease. The omniverse wasn't designed to be fair. I wanna hear more weird and negative ones! Whenever somebody reports a negative one; it's almost always a fire and brimstone hell, with garden variety demons. That reminds me!

Imagine simply existing as 'nothing' in absolute darkness, with all your life memories intact, and to hear voices mocking you, saying you're gonna join them and there's nothing you can do about it. Better yet, to experience that as a near death experience, come back to life, and know that awaits you after death, as an eternal miserable fate. Would you want to report it to others? What's more fun? That or eternal burning? Of course it depends on the person. Generally; psychological torment > physical torture.

I found myself disappointed when a new place didn't believe in hell. Who doesn't love a good horror story!? I think OBEs and near death experiences are hallucinations. Especially after all the sleep paralysis I've had. I'm willing to be proven wrong. I believe in life after death, it's probably not what you're thinking/fearing though.

11. Ohhai

I have a birthmark next to my lady bits. That must have been some weird death!

12. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Maybe I were a British Earl from the nineteenth century.

13. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if I believe in such things. I used to reject the supernatural without any doubt, but now I'm thinking of it again, after reading some anthropology.
    I have a small birthmark on my left thigh, maybe I was a warrior, wounded by an arrow. :lol: Maybe that's why I'm such a pacifist now. :lol:

14. CyanChachki

I do believe in them, definitely.. but I don't think that reincarnation is what some people might think. Like the whole " You where this person and when you die, you'll be a new person..".

I think it's more like.. since a lot of people are buried underground that they have to go through hundreds or thousands of years of evolution. They become the ground, the grass, plankton, fish.. and so on until they finally become a human and that's why having a life as a human is so important to treasure every moment.

15. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a really interesting thought!

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The birth mark theory makes me smile. I got them all over so the possibilities are endless. lol.

17. newfish

My second and third toes are webbed. Do you think I bled out from the feet?

18. Niko

I never thought of it that way, that's very interesting.

19. Hiems

I have a birthmark on my thigh... I don't even want to find out how I died in my past life >_> Lol

20. newfish

OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING! Whenever I see reincarnation I think "it's a nice, peaceful way of explaining the afterlife, but it doesn't have a scientific basis." (I have to look at everything from an at least somewhat scientific basis, it's just in my nature) But this makes sense while still being an amazing and explains the value of human life and morals and ohmygod I am so happy I cam across this paragraph.