1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overwehlmed by gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by person54, Nov 29, 2011.

1. J Snow

Person, if you don't mind me asking, how expensive have you found the process to be thus far?

Also,

I for one was quite aware of this, but its still fun to dream right?

2. DhammaGamer

From what the support group members have told me, the original consultation with the endocrenologist is ~$450. You have checkups every 6-12 months to take blood tests and check hormone levels. The medication itself is pretty inexpensive.

You also have to take into account other aspects of transition as well, though.

I'm starting laser treatment for my face in february. The first visit is $350, the next 3 visits are $250 each, and then its $75 a visit after that. I'm also paying for finasteride and rogaine to try and grow back some of my recession, and if it doesnt work I will have to pay for transplants which could be upward of $1500.

I'm buying a wig next month which is gonna be $150, and I'm getting some new clothes and makeup which could set me back a couple hundred.

I'm hoping to get FFS in the next 18 months, which would end up being anywhere from $6000-$12000 depending on what I get. However, that's still quite a bit aways and I have time to save for it.

The big expenses for me right now are definitely going to be the facial hair removal and if things don't go well with the finasteride, restoring my hairline (I'm crossing my fingers on this one BIG TIME.)

You should go to TSROADMAP.COM to get a good idea of the many factors and costs involved in complete transition.

3. phoenix42

dhamma,

have you found it extremely difficult to find and hold a job while transitioning? /i need the money to finance everything but, being in college, this is extremely difficult. I was hoping to get a job back home during the summer which will help, but as far as careers how difficult is it to find an accepting employer?

4. J Snow

And... now I feel kind of terrified again...

5. 11 11 11

Yeah I know how you feel Snow....

That was a really useful post Dhamma......but god am I screwed financially.

I don't have more than a dollar to my name.

FUCK.

6. DhammaGamer

No need to be terrified. Nothing worth having is free. Remember that transition takes time, effort, and money. Some countries do allow insurance assistance, so you need to look into what is available for your area. USA does not allow any assistance at all through insurance since it's still considered "elective." So all of my stuff is going to be out of pocket. However, I work, and don't need the money for vacations or toys. Being a woman is much more important to me. I was originally planning on saving up for a new computer, but a new nose sounds like a better purchase. :slight_smile:

7. person54

Yeah I agree, I wish I would have had some other gal I could have started with.

As for how much things cost, I don't know if there's any state or regional differences but I'm in Iowa and the hormones don't cost that much. Like my anti-androgen + the estradiol cost like 16-18 dollars for me. My mom and dad's health insurance has been really good about covering my doctors visits so far (I don't know why and I don't really ask haha). Transportation is kind of a big cost depending on where you live. You're at least a little lucky you're in Des Moines as I have had trouble finding any doctors that specialize in treatment of transsexuals anywhere else in Iowa.

Most certaintly glad to spend the money on these things even though it's an expensive process. I know the hormones have been well worth the time and money so far.

8. J Snow

*gasp* There is another transgender person on this site living in Iowa that I didn't know about?

9. DhammaGamer

Your parent's insurance is covering the endocrenologist fees? I didn't know they did that. I'm losing my insurance in june though so I may need to get my letter of approval earlier than I had anticipated.

10. person54

"*gasp* There is another transgender person on this site living in Iowa that I didn't know about?"

LOL. That's what I first thought when I just noticed your location a little earlier. I was all like "There's really more than one person like me and my own age and in this state?" Idk why but my mind was blown.

---------- Post added 30th Nov 2011 at 03:03 PM ----------

"Your parent's insurance is covering the endocrenologist fees?"

It must be since my parents haven't mentioned anything to me about their bills and they most definetley would mention something because A. They're stingy and B. They made it pretty clear they thought I shouldn't go on hormones at all and they would probably be able to figure out what I was doing if a huge bill came to them. So they at least aren't abnormally large charges I'm guessing.

11. Veronica

I don't know yet if I want to do hormones, and if so, how far I want to go with it. One of the things I need to discuss with my therapist.

12. 11 11 11

You're all so damn lucky that you at least know who you are.

Gugh - this is such a spiteful post and I'm sorry.....but....when you're all talking about HRT and.....

Bleugh