1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organ donors?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Salazar, Nov 11, 2012.

?

Organ donor?

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. sguyc

Wow its kind of sad that people actually don't want to be organ donors. Pretty darn selfish. We will see if you change your tone when a loved one is sitting on a waiting list waiting to die.

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think everyone who's said they wouldn't donate has made an exception for loved ones so far.

3. Fruitylicious

I said I would not post againD:

Lol fine:wink: Though only so you can be my chummy buddy:grin:

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hoorays! And all was well in smurf village again.

5. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm an organ donor. I'd like to have something for them to bury when I die, but honestly they can take whatever they want. I won't exactly be using those organs when I'm dead and it would be great if they can help someone still alive.

6. sguyc

I am talking about when they can't donate, a heart for example or their lungs. They will have to rely on someone more logical and compassionate than themselves to save their family member.

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    preaching to the choir there. The attitude drives me crazy.

8. sguyc

Would you agree that your attitude that "this mine and I don't want anyone else to have it because its mine" is childishly selfish?

9. Bree

Umm...yeah...kidneys don't regenerate. You're thinking of livers. The reason people can donate kidneys is that we have two each and the body can function on one.

I don't think I'd be willing to make a live donation for anyone other than a desperate family member. I don't heal quickly, and I have an incapacitating fear of needles. I won't even donate blood, although I feel really guilty about that. It takes everything I have not to panic just from a shot or a blood test, which is an improvement from when I was a kid. I nearly jumped out the window to get away once. I don't think I could handle the several minutes as they took blood.

After I'm dead, they can have it all--I won't need it anymore. I'd like to be useful, especially if I die prematurely. If other people take my organs, a part of me lives on. There's a beautiful moment in As the World Turns, after Luke's partner Reed is killed. His heart was a match for a man they knew that was dying. Luke gets to listen to the heartbeat of the man that he loved, living on.

They can cremate the rest of me. And forget the ashes in the desk drawer for a decade or two, like grandpa. My family is pretty irreverent...

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I've been an organ donor since I got my license, and my whole family became donors after I did. I went to see an autopsy in 12th grade, and just saying, your organs won't be in-tact if they run one on you. They slice them up like loaves of bread. So, I hope that if I do pass away and they can use anything of mine, I'll be able to help others in some way, and at least that way my death would mean something.

11. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

I would not donate my organs, and honestly I'd be hard pressed to give them to someone I know.

I just find the entire process a bit grotesque.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm shocked at the number of "no"s!

I honestly thought almost everyone would vote "yes". Very odd.... What is it that makes people care so much about their corpse?

13. sguyc

Well, your way of thinking is what leads to the oppression of millions of lgbt people around the world. Other people just find it a bit grotesque, don't ya know.

14. Fruitylicious

Not in the slightest, because frankly, this may be a little blunt and harsh, I don't know you and my family and the one I end up with will take precedence over anyone else. If you want to give your organs to someone, that's your choice, just like me not giving mine away, is mine.

15. sguyc

Your family would get precedence over your dead organs anyway, so your point makes no sense and is irrational. How is giving away your organs slighting your family? There is no freaking precedence to give, its completely irrelevent, your family that is.

16. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

You are forming an opinion about me without the entire picture. You really shouldn't do that.

Just because I have personal problems with the practice does not mean I have any desire to interfere with anothers wish to engage in the practice. I do not want to have anyone else's organs in my body, and I have no desire to give mine up.

Is it not popular these days to let people do what they want with their own bodies?

17. Fruitylicious

Well I have already talked to my family on the subject, so my organs will remain intact.

As far as anyone else, again this is harsh and blunt, I don't know you and my organs aren't going to be harvested. So I could care less if you find it "selfish" or not, the fact remains I have made a decision and will not budge.

18. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's fine that you want to give away yours, but there's nothing wrong with people not wanting to give away theirs. What business is it of yours?

I am not giving my organs away except to the ones that I love, period. Why is none of anyones business. They're mine. This is not a dvd or a hamburger we're talking about that I don't want to share, they're my freaking organs.

Yes, if one of my family members needs something, and I'm not a match, I just pray to God someone who is a match registered as a donor, and I'd be forever grateful that that person made that decision. But this is my decision. No one gets mine. Period.

Also, I don't see how the oppression of lgbt people and not donating organs are even slightly related? :confused:
    It's okay to discuss people's reasons for giving or not giving away their organs, but calling them selfish and comparing them to people that oppress lgbt people is what I call a bit childish.

I try to help people wherever I can, I often put other people's feelings over my own, and I donate blood twice a year. I don't ask for anything in return, but it'd be nice not to be called selfish.
    There's no need to be rude.

#58 justinf, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  19. Fruitylicious

Thank you(*hug*)

I agree with everything you said, I also stated I would only do it for family or loved one:slight_smile:

20. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

I figure if I'm dead I don't really care you can have it all. I also have a rare blood type so it could really help someone and if I screw up in this life at least ill make a difference for someone else.