1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organ donors?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Salazar, Nov 11, 2012.

?

Organ donor?

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. castle walls

I am a registered donor. I've agreed to donate everything but they are only allowed to use my organs for life saving purposes.

I have to agree with this. My issue with live donation is the recovery time. A surgery isn't exactly a walk in the park. Hell, I should know. Anyway, my life would pretty much stop for someone I don't know and that is asking a bit much. If I was asked, I may do it but I don't think I'll volunteer to be a living donor.

If it is someone I know, that's a different story. I would immediately donate for the people close to me

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did read all of your post, i'm not sure you read all of mine, but the first sentence fragment was "I'm not saying that mistakenly believing someone is dead has never happened".

I think you're missing my point. Especially if you think they started with his heart, you must be. Think logically about this. If the first thing they went for was his heart, he'd die. Instantly. Did someone perform a seance afterward and ask him how much it pissed him off to watch it happen?

This link: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/organ_ghouls_of_doom_suit_LxCZMP5uRGgI6yn3ywMN9J

does raise a pertinent issue. It looks as though in that jurisdiction there was terrible corruption, allegedly pressure being applied to doctors to declare death before it was absolutely certain that the person wouldn't recover. Serious issue, certainly.

But that's not the same as them having "started harvesting his organs and the man was aware of the whole thing and watched as his organs were taken from his body." That's a nonsense ghost story.

#22 Pseudojim, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  3. Fruitylicious

Read my post again that you quoted above, found an article for you to read:slight_smile:

Actually your heart can stop, but you can still be alive. How? Well it's simple, it has been proven that even though your heart stops, your brain is still active and thus means you are not dead even though you have flat lined.

http://io9.com/5862418/10-bodily-functions-that-continue-after-death

4. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After a couple of minutes without oxygen your brain will die too, though.

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have a serious concern about being recoverably alive and improperly harvested prior to brain death, that is fine and perfectly valid. What's invalid is relating nonsensical horror stories about it which

a) make no logical sense
    b) could unreasonably frighten others into not donating, potentially robbing people of life-saving organs

"started harvesting his organs and the man was aware of the whole thing and watched as his organs were taken from his body."

can you not see how the above text is self-evidently bullshit?

6. Fruitylicious

Yes, not disputing that fact, just telling him it is possible to still be alive while you heart has stopped.:slight_smile:

The text is not "self-evidently bullshit" (I think I know your favorite cuss word:wink:)

If the brain is still active and the eyes are still open, what's the problem with believing he watched his body being opened and organs taken?

Am I saying the show was true? No, I am simply saying it is hypothetically possible for someone who's heart has stopped, though there brain is still active, to watch their organs being took from their body.

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My organs are disgusting. If somebody else wants them they can have them lol.

8. Eric

The self-evident problem is that nobody could possibly know that this man was still alive when his organs were removed because there's no way he could've survived a procedure in which several vital organs were removed to tell people he was still alive.

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it is self-evidently bullshit.

If you had said "watched as his aorta was cut", fine. That's possible, even if extremely unlikely. He'd be dead very soon after that though, and would have no way of relating the tale of having seen it to anyone else. Therefore, it's not a case from history regardless of what possibility you may wish to imbue to the tale.

But "watched as his organs were taken from his body"? No. Not possible. Dead well before that.

It's a nonsense horror story and has absolutely no credence. It's not worth repeating.

10. Fruitylicious

I friggen love you(*hug*)

I was trying to point out I saw it on t.v, which we all know cannot be used as fact lol

I also was just trying to point out a hypothetical situation and provide information on the "dead" subject:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Nov 2012 at 08:49 PM ----------

I again point out my hypothetical situation, in which the persons brain is still active, which is a possibility considering that it is proven the brain is still active even though the heart has stopped.

However I see I will make no ground with you and vis versa, so I say we agree to disagree and move on with our lives, because frankly, as much as I love debating, I feel that this has gone on long enough:slight_smile:

11. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's even hypothetically possible for you to not have a hearbeat and still see what is happening, because if your heart stops your brain gets significantly less oxygen, meaning it will go in survival mode, meaning it shuts down the functions you don't need, like sight. Right?

Plus why are we even talking about possibly hypothetically possible situations that we all know won't happen in real life? What does that have to do with anyone on this forum giving or not giving their organs.
    I think we're going off topic here.

12. DhammaGamer

I want every available organ harvested and donated on my death, and whatever is left over should be burned and scattered. I am not my body.

13. vyvance

I never thought I would donate anything while I was alive, but I might now that my brother's liver/kidneys are potentially shutting down from steroid use.

When I'm dead they can have whatever. Not like I'm gonna need it.

14. Fruitylicious

If it was family, I would without hesitation:slight_smile:

The t.v. is not the only reason why I am not an organ donor, I also choose so because I want my organs when I die. I know they don't serve a purpose, but their mine and it's my decision:slight_smile:

15. TheUndiscovered

If I die prematurely or whatever they can take whatever they want. I might also try to give blood before I have sex and I could always give a kidney since it regenerates

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    apparently because not everyone is capable of realising what situations are and are not possible in real life. It does have something to do with giving or not giving organs though, because it's a hypothetical (albeit nonsensical) situation which could convince someone not to donate, which would be tragic.

Telling kids about the boogie man can be a bit of fun.

Telling impossible horror stories about organ donation could cost lives.

#36 Pseudojim, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  17. Eric

Hey guys, let's keep the discussion on the subject about whether or not you're personally willing to donate your organs. Thanks.

18. Amicus

I'm a registered donor. Once I'm dead, they can take the squishy bits, though I do reserve the right to take them back if my zombie has need of them :wink:

19. Fruitylicious

Because a hypothetical question is always nice, especially when you consider "real life" and some people just can't accept the fact that certain things happen that are beyond reason or logic.

Also it is my choice whether to donate or not and it is not all based ona t.v. episode, it is based on me not wanting to give them out, unless a family member needed them.

However I can see how my hypothetical situation would lead away from the original post, so I apologize for that, however if some people wouldn't continue to antagonize me and continue to post specific things to where they know it will induce a reply, I may not have made that situation in the first place.

I will not post further and suggest my opponent do the same to keep everyone on topic and to keep from arguing on something that we both know, won't go any where. So for the last time I say we agree to disagree and I ask that you not stir the sh:***: pot anymore.

Thank you for your time and sorry about the off topic hypothetical situation I made.

However before I leave, I want to show my true feelings on organ donation and why I won't be a donor, just to show it's not all based on a silly episode.

I am not a donor because I choose not to be, these are my organs, this is my body, I choose what does and does not happen to it after death or if I cannot make a decision on my own, based on an accident or some other unfortunate reason, will let my parents make the decisions.

I will only donate if my family needs it, or whoever I end up with, if you do not fall under those two categories, I am sorry, you will not receive them.

Thank you for your time.

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed to all of that if you agree not to repeat that absurd horror story to anyone else, ever. I'll be your bestest chummy buddy if you can do that for me.